• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacing pan faces...?

soundhound

OK, I know this is boring, but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a "better way" to approach replacement of a normal say 4' x 10' pan face in a standard illuminated cabinet?

I can get a white lexan face delivered to my shop, but is there someone digitally printing before extruding, or fabricating a better retrofit than a flexface... or in the realm of cheapness... anyone got a retrofit that uses corplast?

I have one of these in my schedule, and don't really want to cover it with translucent vinyl and knife-cut all the graphics.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Marlene

I have no idea what it is that you are asking. are you trying to replace a 4' x 10' pan face with a new face or just covering up and exisitng face until a new one is made? you were kidding about using coroplast as an option for a face replacement weren't you? you could use it to cover an exiting pan up while you wait for a new face but only a hack would ever consider it as an option for a sign so I assume you worded you question strange as that is what it sounded like you had in mind.

Moze

A pan face is normally used in a sign cabinet for a reason - typically because the use of a flat face will cause the lamps to be too close to the face. So unless someone used a formed face strictly for aesthetics and there's actually enough distance from the lamps to use a flat face, you likely need to stick with a formed face.

I think Gary's "O.M.G." comment is probably in regards to the mention of using Coroplast as a replacement for a 4'x10' face in an illuminated cabinet. If so, I agree with his sentiments.

Is the customer wanting a non-illuminated face?

What is your aversion to providing a decorated formed face (why not purchase it turn-key)?

Techman

"better way" to approach replacement of a normal say 4' x 10' pan face in a standard illuminated cabinet?

Not a friggin chance..
It has a pan face for a reason. First, thats a bigger face. It needs those ridges for strength. Second. It needs the extra space to make the lights shine better.
Third quote it right and do it right. Get a local installer ot R&R thae thing and let them bill the customer.
Fifth. ORder it done and ready to install and get it over with. All you have to do is order the thing and order the graphics. Simple easy peasy.

MikePro

OK, I know this is boring, but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a "better way" to approach replacement of a normal say 4' x 10' pan face in a standard illuminated cabinet?
yup. routed/painted aluminum pan face and push-thru plexiglass with transluscent vinyl graphics.

but that's just how i roll...