• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

[REQ] applying big sand decal to window from two pieces

hi,
i´d like to apply sand decal to window, but unfortunately the decal is not wide enough, so i have to do it with two pieces.
i´m not sure, whether one should overlapped the other or not. it´s for outside balcony.
i´g be grateful for any tips.
thanks!

Untitled-2.jpg

J Hill Designs

if you can design in a 1/2" border on either side of the window, hexis (for one) offers 60" etchmark vinyl..im sure other manufacturers do as well

hi,

thanks for quick answer.

i´ve choosen bubble free sand vinyl, which is max only 1215mm ( 47.835in ) , other ordinary vinyls are up to 1500mm ( 59.055in )

i was talking more about visual impression :)

you´re right, me too:)

but there is no other option, because one of the windows is 1368 x 1265mm ( 53.85 x 49.80in ), and vinyl is max. 1200mm

anyway, thanks for reply.

today i ´ve worked with it, and it was a very nice experience.
quickly and without bubbles:) i´ve to think over...
thanks!

anotherdog

you can apply the two sides with a slight overlap, then with a straight edge and a very sharp knife (and a light touch so you don't scratch the glass) cut a line down through both overlapping layers. Strip out the excess and you have a dead fit. Alas in later months the vinyl will shrink, but at least the gap is even.

hi,
thanks for a great tip, sounds very promising:)
the gap should be in the middle window, right?
best of luck!

Billct2

or get creative and use a different finish film as a decorative border, a very common and good looking technique that was often used when etching glass