• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Restraunts menu

showcase 66

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some feedback on this menu I am putting together for my client. I have a tendency to over add things when I get to the end of a design and layout. I have intended to make the menu look like their menu up on the wall.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Rednecks Cover.jpg
    Rednecks Cover.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Rednecks inside.jpg
    Rednecks inside.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_9986.jpg
    100_9986.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 105

Si Allen

I hate doing menus!

Just as soon as you finish the last letter ... phone rings and you hear " Damn! I forgot to tell you to add..."

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

SignManiac

I'll be brutally honest here, it's not very good. There's no focal point or prioritized copy. It's chaotic at best. There's no flow or continuity to the content. Yes all of the content is listed but, I have no idea where to start on this menu. I'm positive that others will agree with me on this, but may be reluctant to say so.

Do a google search on menu board images and study how others treat design and layout of excessive menu text items. These are perhaps some of the most difficult and challenging sign design tasks you will be forced to find solutions for.

showcase 66

Thanks guys.

I'll be brutally honest here, it's not very good. There's no focal point or prioritized copy. It's chaotic at best. There's no flow or continuity to the content. Yes all of the content is listed but, I have no idea where to start on this menu. I'm positive that others will agree with me on this, but may be reluctant to say so.

I agree it is chaotic. But they want the menu to match somewhat of their menu board. I didnt do that part. I will take your advice and do a google search for menu boards. Maybe I can talk them into redoing their menu board as well.

SignManiac

Well I'm glad to see you are open to my suggestions! But I would bet my last dollar you won't have much luck in getting redneck BBQ'rs to change their minds regarding good taste in design :)

You will learn plenty on this project, both good and bad. Best of luck to you anyway.

Sign_Boy

It's a bit busy, but it's a BBQ joint - so it gets a pass.
Try making it a tri-fold. It may help organize it.
Tri-folds are easier to handle not to mention they can be mailed.

MikePro

good luck on redoing/redesigning.... bbq joints usually don't have the kind of money for over-the-top stuff. i'd say, do your best with what you're given... you're not gonna "git'dat" extra $$$ for overthinking this one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A few things…….

• I don’t like ‘$’ signs at the bottom.
  • The flames under the letters and traveling up through them and not inside the knockouts and other parts annoys me.
  • I’m sure it’s a feature of the font, but it’s too up and down making it almost impossible to read.
  • A better standardization of where prices are instead of making each grouping different is very confusing.
  • The ‘Big Bubba’…. I hope its more appetizing up close than on this picture. I wouldn’t order that based on what I’m seeing here.

Needs work. Not worthless by any means, but you need to get some uniformity and better readership. It's a definite improvement over the old one, but you can do better. :thumb:

Pat Whatley

Lose the flame effect on Redneck's Barbecue and change the yellow border to a deep crimson color.

Other than that it looks like every other cluttered up barbecue menu I've ever seen....but like a wise man once told me "If their menus look pretty and the place looks modern then the barbecue ain't good." Of course that tidbit of information is from the same guy who told me when I got engaged "All women are crazy, the secret is to find one who won't stab you in your sleep." so take it for what it's worth.

heyskull

It looks like one of local takeaways we made a menu for.
Their menu measured 15'x2' and the largest letter was one 1/4"!!!!
Yes you can imagine how much is on the menu..... If they don't make it ... you will not want it!!!!
Customers come in and spend 1/2 an hour looking at what's on the menu.

Nice in a busy kinda way.

SC

cgsigns_jamie

First let me start by saying, I hate menus, I feel your pain.

I usually like to keep my menu designs relatively simple because they're usually packed with so much copy.

Here is one I did last year that had flames on it. This is the design for the menu board but the hand-out was very similar in design, it was a tri-fold.

Attachments

• (%0A    "Kerberos.CGSD.LOCAL"%0A) 2010-09-24 at 11.33.41 AM.jpg
    (%0A "Kerberos.CGSD.LOCAL"%0A) 2010-09-24 at 11.33.41 AM.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_3564.jpg
    100_3564.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 110

showcase 66

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some different ideas I am going to present to the client this morning. I was up forever reading more about menus and found an article about neuromarketing with restaurants. Some of the biggest changes they make to peoples menu is taking away the $ sign and leaving an even number. Instead of $7.99 you should just use 8. Most people see the $ sign and it will already stress them out but a number is just a number. They also said you should get rid of .99 in all your sale prices. It used to be a good thing but more and more, people are seeing it as deceitful. I have the link saved on my home computer so if I remember I will try and post it tonight.

* The ‘Big Bubba’…. I hope its more appetizing up close than on this picture. I wouldn’t order that based on what I’m seeing here.
I agree on that. The Big Bubba, the Redneck's on top of the menu board on pic 3, and the guy in the bottom right corner were all painted on the original menu. I talked them out of using it on their t-shirts but havent talked them into taking it off the menu.

Their food is really good and the Big Bubba is their number 1 seller.

The flames under the letters and traveling up through them and not inside the knockouts and other parts annoys me.
Not sure where exactly your talking about. I think you are talking about the Welcom to part. If that is it, that was painted on the menu board and they wanted it on the menu.

SignManiac

Banners are a pain in the a$$. They take a lot of time to enter all the info, proofing for mistakes take a lot of extra time also. But...first rule of thumb, make it legible. Here's one I did recently. It wouldn't work for your situation, the colors nor the layout aren't what I'd use for your job, but you can see the thought process that went into it.

You need to have a heading first, then the listings organized in an easy to read manner, and then all of the extraneous drivel on the bottom, as least important. Everything on the sign can't be the most important thing.

Attachments

• Lickity Split.jpg
    Lickity Split.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 63

SignManiac

I don't think it's been asked, what is this menu for? Is it going on the wall inside for orders, or being used for small menus to be handed to diners at their tables? I see your examples have a bunch of stuff that doesn't need to be on it if it's an inside menu. You don't need phone numbers of the place they're standing inside of. That crap can go on printed fliers or business cards. These are the questions you need answers to if you want to design it right.

See if you can persuade them to go with something a little cleaner along these lines. Just because they're pushing redneck, doesn't mean it has to be nasty.

Attachments

• Redneck BBQ.jpg
    Redneck BBQ.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 62

showcase 66

The menu's are for the take out orders and to be given out to business to keep in the office. I have actually talked them into re-designing their menu board as well. I pointed out some things to them and they seem to like the idea of changing it to make it better. I just hope I can talk them out of that Big Bubba image. Or at least take a good picture of a real plate of it. I will definitely be asking for some opinions then as well.

See if you can persuade them to go with something a little cleaner along these lines. Just because they're pushing redneck, doesn't mean it has to be nasty.

I like your idea. It was in the same direction that we were discussing this morning. I know we have to keep the Rednecks logo the same but I will take any input on it.

Thanks

showcase 66

Thanks for all the advice. I have attached a new version of their to go menu. Just the inside part. I am going to meet with them later today to see if they like the direction I am going with it. Looks much cleaner but I am not sure if it looks to fancy for a Redneck BBQ place. I decided to go with a tri-fold as well. They wanted it folded in half originally but I think this is the best way to go with it.