Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Logo Design

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by Pinfinity, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Little Falls, NJ
    Would like to receive professional critique on the attached logo for a one man plumbing heating operation. The customer wanted to use a shamrock with a plumbers tool incorporated into the stem of the shamrock.
    The additional copy reading plumbing heating is not part of this design.

Thanks much

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. yukon

yukon Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Kenvil NJ
    I like it! One minor suggestion would be to increase the size of the light green outline on the name, similar to the size on the lower banner.

Good job!

Yukon

3. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Little Falls, NJ
    Thanks Yukon! appreciate your critique

4. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I agree with Yukon :)

5. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Outstanding

6. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Little Falls, NJ
    Thank you Craig

7. Red Ball

Red Ball Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    Very nice.
    It spoke name = plumbing to me.

8. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Little Falls, NJ
    Thanks for your comments red ball

9. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I think it looks good but was wondering why you didn't use a 4 leaf clover?

10. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Little Falls, NJ
    Signage...thanks for asking. The customers original logo..that you don't want to see....uuuuughhh... was a three leaf shamrock. I'm Irish and I know what you mean, but in this design, less is more I think. But you have a point technically!

11. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    'Doherty' is too wide for the rest of the design. Perhaps if you made the pale green circle an oval the whole thing wouldn't look as if it's ready to tilt over on its side.

Then there's that 'Bob' floating around in top, the only dark green element without an outline. It looks rather orphaned up there all by itself, out of touch with the whole softer feel of the thing.

Finally, the hand and wrench, if not clip-art, is way too clip-art looking for logo purposes.

12. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Little Falls, NJ
    I appreciate your infinite wisdom, Bob. I will consider modifying the design based on your professional thoughts and advise. That is why I post an occasional layout here so I can learn from the best! I'm not really sure though, what you mean by clipart not to be used in a logo? The clipart that you see is modified and enhanced from a crude line art file.....I am very capable with hand illustration, but I personally use any means possible to manage time efficiently when running a busy sign business.

13. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Nice start, it looks like you kind of have 3 different logos. Is there any way you think you can simplify it?

14. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Get rid of the circle, use an oval instead. Incorporate it all into the oval. Leave the banner hanging over a little and the main copy of the name. Move "Bob" to the left of name and lay it over the top of the name. Try a few things like that.

15. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Pin, the concept is a good start but the layout is disjointed to me. It really doesn't have a logo feel to me. Why not try wrapping his entire name around the circle?

16. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I like it. I would place the image on top of Doherty as now it seems Doherty is too top heavy

17. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I agree. the name should be under the image.
    I dislike how the hand/wrench has a black outline and the other stuff has a light green outline.
    Perhaps if you made the clover a lighter green with a black outline it would unify the image.
    Love....Jill

18. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

I like it. :thumb:

19. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    Might be just me but..why the "since 1986" date, must be an American thing as I've noticed a few signs on here with it. I have never been asked to put that on a sign & who really cares when they started. Why not put Bob Doherty Plumbing.
    Just my opinion...right or wrong

20. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    It's nice but I wouldn't know what he does if I saw it driving down the road. What about "Bob Dougherty" at the top in the script and "Plumbing" bigger and in the arch?