• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RGB from X3 to X5 problems.

Joe Diaz

We just updated from X3 to X5

A lot of times I use RGB colors. I have noticed that when I open files that were created in X3 up in X5 the colors are wrong. And I don't think it is color profiles, it is the colors themselves:

RGB Color Issues.jpg

As you can see, the cmyk codes are the same, but the rgb is different. This is the exact same file opened in both X3 and X5, no changes have been made to the file. What can I do to resolve this? Because if there isn't a solution, than that means A. I have to manually go in and change the colors in the file, which could take hours in some cases, or B. I simply use X3 every time I need to work on files that weren't created in X5... which at this point in time is nearly all of them.

So far I haven't had any issues with the few files that were created in X5. But at this point X5 is nearly unusable for all of our existing files.

I hope someone out there knows a solution.
:help

eye4clr

Sounds like the pdf process is converting your file from one RGB working space to another.

Look at the settings when you save or convert from x3 to x5 in the color section and make sure it is not converting.

Joe Diaz

Sounds like the pdf process is converting your file from one RGB working space to another.

Look at the settings when you save or convert from x3 to x5 in the color section and make sure it is not converting.

I'm not converting, I'm simply opening up an X3 file in X5. Is there a place or setting I can change to make sure the RGB values don't change when opened in X5? It isn't related to color profiles is it? Making changes to color profiles wouldn't change the RGB numerical values would they?

eye4clr

Converting from one RGB to another will certainly change the RGB while at the same time not changing the CMYK values.

how does one open an x3 in x5? I feel like i'm missing something here.

Joe Diaz

Converting from one RGB to another will certainly change the RGB while at the same time not changing the CMYK values.
I'm not converting anything, at least not to my knowledge. I'm simply trying to open a file in a new version of the same software.

how does one open an x3 in x5? I feel like i'm missing something here.

Well, in CorelDrawX3, when I'm finished with a file. I go to 'file' - 'save' then type in the file name I want and click on the "save" button.

Now that we have upgraded to CorelDrawX5 I want to be able to open all of our old CorelX3 files (and even a few older versions). To do this I simply go to 'file' - 'open', browse to that same file I save in X3 and open it in X5. Obviously the files opens fine, but now my RGB values are totally off.

rfulford

Would these files be CDR files or are they EPS or some other format? I do not know Corel very well but it looks like a difference in color settings. If the exported file uses the CMYK data, importing into X5 would allow you to see the same numbers but the color settings would show different color output.

To borrow an example from Illustrator, you can create a file as CMYK but when you save as an EPS, there is an option to "include CMYK data in RGB files". Have you tried saving native files out of X3 as well as other formats?

Joe Diaz

Would these files be CDR files or are they EPS or some other format? I do not know Corel very well but it looks like a difference in color settings. If the exported file uses the CMYK data, importing into X5 would allow you to see the same numbers but the color settings would show different color output.

To borrow an example from Illustrator, you can create a file as CMYK but when you save as an EPS, there is an option to "include CMYK data in RGB files". Have you tried saving native files out of X3 as well as other formats?

Yes CDR files. What I basically need to know is how to stop X5 from changing the RGB values of my older versions of Corel files.

And the output for these specific files will be web graphics. That is why I am using RGB values. So, I'm not as much concerned with output from a printers stand point. I need to make sure my RGB values stay constant.

joeshaul

Try going to Tools, Color Management, for the internal profile, check to see if X5 is using the same as X3, more than likely it's not.

rfulford

Yes CDR files. What I basically need to know is how to stop X5 from changing the RGB values of my older versions of Corel files.

And the output for these specific files will be web graphics. That is why I am using RGB values. So, I'm not as much concerned with output from a printers stand point. I need to make sure my RGB values stay constant.

Well that blows my theory completely out of the water. At first glance, it looks like CMYK data in X3 being coverted to a different RGB via different profiles in X5. Hopefully, Joeshaul can find out something for you.

Joe Diaz

Try going to Tools, Color Management, for the internal profile, check to see if X5 is using the same as X3, more than likely it's not.

NO, I know it isn't, but why would that change the actual RGB numerical values? For example: in X3 a color is R:48 G:108 B:159 but that same color opened in X5 is R:104 G:130 B:159 I can understand it changing how the colors appear on my screen or how they print, if I were to print these particular jobs, but why would the actual color values change? And what can I do to prevent it from doing so?

Joe Diaz

I just wanted to say. I do appreciate you all trying to help.

Here is the color management setup I use for web design in X3 compared to the color management I now have setup in X5.

RGB Color Issuesx3.jpg
RGB Color Issuesx5.jpg

If it is related to Color Management, what can I do to have X5's match my setup from X3? Or more importantly what can I change in X5 so that it doesn't change those RGB values when I open files I designed in X3 in to the newer X5? As you can see they have completely changed the color management settings in X5.

Attachments

• RGB Color Issues2.jpg
    RGB Color Issues2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 78

eye4clr

Look at your COREL x5 settings where it defines how RGB files are handled on the right hand side. It says it is for import and paste to Convert to Document Color for RGB. I know you're opening, and the settings look appropriate for that. But I'm just seeing something that may be playing a role.

Try turning on all the warning/notification check boxes then open your old x3 file and see what it says.

joeshaul

Wow, didn't know Corel changed their color management settings that much. On X5, see if you have an option under Color Engine for Kodak, I believe that was X3's default engine.

rfulford

Two other things you could try....

Set your X5 "Color Management Policies" for opening files to discard/ignore or whatever similar option you have here.

Or.... Export your X3 color settings and see if you can import them into X5

jemmyell

Hi,

Color management is now pervasive in X5 and not really compatible with earlier versions which apparently did a number of things wrong.

So, from the 'Default Color Management' dialog try selecting:

'Simulate Color Management Off'

Then have a look at David Millsocks book which will you everything you ever wanted to know about X5 color management.

http://www.graphictechnology.com/

And some of his posts on these issues.

http://coreldraw.com/blogs/customgraphics/default.aspx

http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/20157/88425.aspx

-James

http://www.graphictechnology.com/

signage

Joe I do not have X5 but was told that Corel really changed the color management in it to be better! Their is a guy David Milsock that writes a book on this and could definitely help you. Also if you go to Corel's forum you may find what you need to correct this, I haven't looked into it!
here is a link to his book!

Joe Diaz

I've kind of found a solution, well sort of. Although it's kind of a pain, it is at least something I can learn to live with for now. Fortunately, we only need to do this to certain files, where I used a certain color palette and not ever job.

What I have to do is first open the file in X3 then...

Go to Edit >> Find and Replace >> Replace Objects…

In the Replace Wizard, choose Replace a color Model or palette, click next

Choose CMYK from 'Find a color model' list box

Choose RGB from 'Replace with the color model' list box

Follow the wizard instructions (do it twice; one to replace fills and the second to replace outlines)

Then I Save the file.

Then I open it in X5 and it looks the way it is supposed to.

It works but I wish their were some method that was a bit more... automatic.

I think the problem isn't X5 it's X3. Moving forward, we should be better than ever. X5's color management is just so much better, and after I watched the color tutorial in the help section, it really does make sense. We have now got our color profiles setup so that what we see on the screen is almost identical to what we are printing. It is light years ahead of what we had in X3. However working with our older files is a pain, because we never had the color profiles setup right.

The whole point of the new an improved color managment, or at least the best part about it, is that whatever color settings you save or export in X5 will look the way it was intended without the other person needing to change their profiles to match the ones you used.