• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP over network

Tovis

Curious, do any of you rip files over the network, or do you send the file over the network to the computer and rip it from that computer.

signswi

Both, sometimes copy the files into shared Onyx hotfolders, sometimes go through preflight and rip over the network that way.

Doesn't really matter, in any scenario Onyx is going to make itself a local copy in the "work" folder anyhow. Network speeds are almost always faster than HD speeds so there's no reason to copy onto the rip computer then process, just adding an extra step you could avoid.

anotherdog

I do all my Ripping and printing over the network.
No problems. That said if you have issues that effect the speed of your network you may get jobs stopping or pausing. I had issues with a gigabit ethernet switch recently and pulled the old 10/100 out of the cupboard, runs very happily.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Only way we go. Usinf FlexiSign Pro. Production Manager part has it's own dedicated computer. Flexi's main design part runs on a design computer and just finds it on the network and sends the jobs to it. Polling the roll size on the printers works fine and all. On ours - everything is on gigabit ethernet on a Cisco switch.

Jack Knight1979

Everything is networked here. Has been since day one. I have versa works on a PC that I access on my mac via remote desktop. The hot folder is on my mac.

Never have a problem. I run standard staples network equipment. Nothing fancy.

jayhawksigns

Only way we go. Usinf FlexiSign Pro. Production Manager part has it's own dedicated computer. Flexi's main design part runs on a design computer and just finds it on the network and sends the jobs to it. Polling the roll size on the printers works fine and all. On ours - everything is on gigabit ethernet on a Cisco switch.

Similar setup here, been this way as long as I can remember.

Tovis

I have an N300 router and a 8 port gigabit switch. I wonder if I am overdoing it with my router and switch. I have troubles with windows2000 machines getting into the computer I have with windows 7 pro dedicated as a file server.

All the windows 7 machines and windows vista machines get into the dedicated file server fine, but the windows xp and windows 2000 are buggy sometimes they do and sometimes they do not.

signswi

Pre-Windows 7 clients can be tricky to give access to Windows 7 shares. Any reason you haven't gone to W7 on those clients? Best if everything is 7 or you use a *nix (samba) based NAS.

Tovis

Because some of the RIPs will not work on 7.

Would it be better to have something like windows 2000/XP be the file server so that windows 7 could get into it?