• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RIP Software

jhanson

Roland originally sold a rebranded version of Wasatch before they developed VersaWorks in house.

Really any RIP will work, but it just depends on your preference.

I've always thought that the Onyx user interface is a nasty kludge. Profiling capabilities will cost you dearly, too.
Profiles made with Flexi/PhotoPRINT always look oversaturated.
Colorburst works but it often chokes on files and I've seen a lot of strange crashes.
Caldera's great, as long as you have a Mac or don't mind experimenting with Linux.
Wasatch is also great if you can use existing profiles, but you'll need to buy profiling software separately.

Then there are about a half dozen other solutions that I've heard people swear by but haven't really had experience using.

deadman

wow jhanson, great reply!

I have only used Wasatch, and I am a noob in this age of printers. I use profiles that are supplied by either Wasatch or the product manufacturer. I havent even concidered creating my own.

Is that something a lot of people do? Is it difficult?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have used Flexisign Pro for years now with almost no issues. We do have an Eye One Basic which we use to create our own profiles though. Was never really happy with the included canned profiles. Flexi does have profile creation built in and if done properly with an Eye One works great. It also supports multiple devices (at one point we have 4 machines and right now have 3 - Mimaki JV33, Summa S160T, and an older Epson Stylus Pro 9500). It has a setting for the maximum number of RIP threads which goes all the way up to 20. You can also set process priority for the RIP which is nice when you set it up on it's own dedicated machine. Crank it's process to high priority since the machine is not used for anything else. We run it this way - Flexi Pro actually has 2 programs - FlexiSign and Production Manager. Production Manager is the actual RIP part which you can run on a separate machine dedicated to it's purpose.

BPI Color

I use Onyx. The new version will allow you to run 4 machines at once. The learning curve was a little painful but I'm fairly confident with my profiles now. You'll also need an I1 strip reader at least. DO NOT try to limp along with just a single spot reader. 1200 swatches would take you a life time.

jhanson

wow jhanson, great reply!

I have only used Wasatch, and I am a noob in this age of printers. I use profiles that are supplied by either Wasatch or the product manufacturer. I havent even concidered creating my own.

Is that something a lot of people do? Is it difficult?

It's pretty common for the larger shops. For Wasatch, you'll need an i1 spectrophotometer at minimum with the basic version of i1Profiler. Usually runs around $2k, half for the instrument and half for the software. There are documents posted on Wasatch's site for how to run through the process.

Generally if the canned profiles work well for you, there's no need to run your own, but if you find you have trouble hitting colors accurately then a new profile is usually the best way to resolve it.

And regarding my remarks about Flexi earlier... Yes, you can create decent profiles with it. Just not if you follow their directions to the letter. Most profiles I've seen made with Flexi, particularly the canned ones, choose ink limits that are too high, which results in oversaturation. I think it has to do with the poor choice of ink restriction pattern they used...

rfulford

We use Color Gate and Onyx. I would love to get rid of Onyx however, I have never been a fan.

Be prepared to write you own icc profiles if you use anything other than Onyx, Flexi or Wasatch. For latex, Caldera profiles are starting to become pop up.

Bly

We run 4 printers and one cutter off Onyx Production house V10.
It can rip two files at the same time.

Lots of people on here complain about it but I find it does a fantastic job.
We have used it for a long time and I'll admit there is a learning curve.
The amount of control you have over your printers is awesome.

We also create our own profiles.
The automated ink restriction feature is a real timesaver.

bobby79

hello! i use a Wasatch version. I need a Versaworks for my sj pro II 740, but i did not find. Any one help me please. I think i need e craked versin for Versakorks.
Tks!
I think Versaworks is beter.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
:banghead: How about spend a few thousand like the rest of us on a legal copy of a good RIP? Considering we are mostly all legitimate businesses on here we do not much like trying to compete with theives nor giving them any help.

hello! i use a Wasatch version. I need a Versaworks for my sj pro II 740, but i did not find. Any one help me please. I think i need e craked versin for Versakorks.
Tks!
I think Versaworks is beter.

Rooster

Wasatch's RIP does a few things pretty strange, but overall is a good RIP. For color control I'd pick Colorburst over Wasatch any day of the week, but they don't support as many printers and cutters as Wasatch does. Their customer support is a million times better than Wasatch though. Plus it seems to be much faster. Even with a less robust box to run on than Wasatch requires.

Onyx I find bloated and weird when it comes to the interface. Too many controls seem hidden behind "assistants" that obfuscate the actual functionality. If you know what you're doing, it's annoying.

animenick65

Onyx I find bloated and weird when it comes to the interface. Too many controls seem hidden behind "assistants" that obfuscate the actual functionality. If you know what you're doing, it's annoying.

Agreed. Too many modules required to do simple tasks. It's also extremely slow compared to other RIPs.

GF4signs

I suggest you get a trial version for Caldera. It's a very robust rip with the option of building custom profiles for all types of media.