• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

rivet tips/vinyl install

petepaz

new to the site
i have been installing about 3 years and sometimes i still have trouble with rivets
any tips to keep out the wrinkles

Wybjorn

That is the best advice there is, squeegee like its not even there. Also you want the row of rivets roughly in the middle of your squeegee (a good one that can flex), this will give you an even tent of air around each one. Then make a small hole, not a slit, for the air to escape. If you are getting wrinkles when applying heat and using a brush to tighten the vinyl to the rivet you may be heating it too soon, get it as close as you can without the heat first.
I hate rivets, so time consuming and the work is not appreciated.

ChiknNutz

If you can get a hold of the Rob Ivers video tapes, check 'em out, that's how I learned (which is the same as being described here). Also, make sure you never install vinyl over rivets using any wet method.

imaSIGNr

Are you sure they are rivets and not screws ? If they are screws, take them out ( and if they are screws they probably are an 8 sided screw that comes out with a square drive not a torks bit )

petepaz

thanks for the advice
i will try the flexible squeegee and go right over
i usually try to form around them as i go down or across and that is where i sometimes get my wrinkles ( when you stand at the distance that you will see the graphics it is not noticable but i don't like to scrimp in the quality department)
and i already learned about the wet install around the rivets (not a good combo)

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I agree, the vinyl should go down flat without fluid and with a flexible squeegee like the Rivet/Dent tool. The Rivet/Dent tool is a squeegee designed to apply vinyl over rivets. You will still have to go back and deal with each rivet with whatever apparatus you choose for that purpose.

Last edited:

ejgemstone

I have had good luck using the 3m cmp1 pad applicator for rivets. It is easier to use then a rivet brush with high performance vinyl, just don't twist when using. Easier on the hands after 50,000 rivets.