• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland cutting problem

petepaz

running roland vp-540 and xc-540. when i cut square corners sometimes the corners don't cut. sometimes it skips or misses a spot and the corners don't meet at the point ...see pic
this job is printed on reflective vinyl with oracal 210 gloss lam i have had it happen with regular vinyl also. most of the time it happens when i am cutting out letters (N, W, A, M,K) anything with points

anyone ever have this happen and know how to fix it?

Attachments

• cut problem.jpg
    cut problem.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,076
sorry i can't help, never had that happen with our vp540i, but i have heard of others having simular issues.....hope you get an answer for your problem.

CS-SignSupply

Happening on both units?

Check the basics....

- Blade tip in good condition?
- Blade depth set correctly?
- Correct Offset?
- Blade Protection Strip cut?

After that, and all checks out, you might need to check the cut carriage so see if it is loose. Another thing you might do is the Scan Motor and Feed Motor Aging to eliminate any backlash. This can only be done in Service Mode.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've experienced it on occasions. The only thing we came up with was that the knife was traveling too fast for such thick media and when it came to a corner was kinda like forced to bounce around tight corners. It was usually on inside corners, but sometimes we'd suffer along outer cuts.

Try slowing it down a tad. On older pin-fed machines, we'd just increase the weight and that would completely stop it.

petepaz

Happening on both units? it has happened on bothCheck the basics....

- Blade tip in good condition? blade good just changed it a week ago (and i just checked it)-
Blade depth set correctly? good-
Correct Offset? what is the correct offset (think i just use the default setting)-
Blade Protection Strip cut? how do i know if this is bad

After that, and all checks out, you might need to check the cut carriage so see if it is loose. Another thing you might do is the Scan Motor and Feed Motor Aging to eliminate any backlash. This can only be done in Service Mode.
how do i do this?

i have had something similar once before and i changed the blade holder and we were good to go.
and it seems it is only with laminated material (thicker material) i will try slowing it down like gino said

thanks for the help guys

Mike F

One thing I was told helps a bit on sharp corners like that is to ever-so-slightly round the corners of your CutContour line. In CorelDRAW X4 you can do this by selecting just the CutContour line, then going to your Object Properties docker (alt + enter if you don't normally keep it in your open dockers), then under that go to Outline, then Advanced, and select the rounded corners. It only rounds off the point itself, so it's not very noticeable, and supposedly it helps.

CS-SignSupply

If the errors are showing up on the laminated prints only, could be that the blade is not sticking out of the blade holder enough.... If the nose of the holder contacts the media, it can cause drag and result it poor cutting. Same is true on the Graphtec and APD (Anagraph) cutters we sell.

Standard offset should be '0.250mm' for the Roland standard 45 degree blades.

If the other material cut well, blade protection strip should be fine.

CS-SignSupply

The bearings inside the blade holder can wear and under pressure, may show inconsistent cuts. Recommend replacing blade holder every 6 months to a year (depending on cutting demands)

JustinS

I have the same machines as you do. always do a cut test before you run a job on a newly loaded media. notice the inner box and if it has baddly cut corners lower the offset. its all in the offset and how much of the blade you actually have poking out. its bad to think that a general offset setting works for a particular blade as the thickness of material (how much blade you have poking out) effects the amount of offset you need. the last thing that could happen is if cutting a stretchy material (solutions opaque or similar) the material can bubble in fron of the blade causing the same effect on corners. a new blade usually fixes that condition for me.

2B

have ran into this same issue several times, finally as a last ditch changed to the 60* blade and that fixed the issue.

theory is due to the extra thickness the 45* blade has towards the top it can not track correct through the material and can not cut properly

SPCAE_86

Correct offset for Roland cutters: .250mm for the 45 degree and .50mm for the 60 degree. If the offset is wrong you will have unfinished cuts and corners will be open. When you perform a test cut check the corners of the box. If the corners do not look square then you probably have the wrong offset amount entered for your currently installed blade.

sowinski_t

I would slow down the cutting speed and make sure the platen and vinyl is cold. I've had warm vinyl go a little soft on me and "bunch" in front of the blade as described above. Finally check for any play in the entire cutting assembly: carriage, blade holder (I've had this loosen up on me), and so on. It may not be affecting the lighter materials but the thicker laminated stuff could potentially offer enough resistance to make it any issue...
Best I got!

Blade holder!!!! Confirm the metal cable, that the blade holder slides on, is tight and not slipping(probably not the cable, but you need to check). 95% the blade holder is worn out & use 60 degree blade.