• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland digital media - - Looking for Eco/Sol receptive vinyl in smaller/shorter sizes

Todd-sta

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi - looking for a source where I can get Roland brand digital vinyl in smaller width and shorter length rolls than what is typically standard.....

Looking in terms of say, 24" X 10yard rolls instead of 54" X 150 foot...... or even 54" X 10 yards... something like that. Does such a product exist?

Thanks for your help.

Todd
[/FONT]

CS-SignSupply-TT

The product exists IF you find a distributor with converting equipment. Typically, you will be required to purchase the 30" or 54" x 150ft rolls and PAY to have them converted to your desired width and length. Have you considered 24" rolls of non Roland media that performs the same function?

Todd-sta

Hi Tim... my buddy owns a Roland Soljet Pro EX 540..... the problem we've found with using different brands is that the color profiles and quality results are completely different when using different materials... and I suggested to him that the logical thing to do is to use Roland vinyl ALL the time, so that he can use their color/material profiles and get consistent color and quality results.

Kind of like the McDonald's concept: You know that a McDonald's hamburger is going to taste and look the same no matter where you buy it (not that it tastes good..hehe).

But, if there was a good source for a smaller roll as you suggest, which is backed up with good profiles for his machine... then that might be worth consideration.

His printer does not get used heavily, and we do digital jobs sporadically - so the thought is that we don't want to tie-up capital on material that is just sitting on the shelf. Hate to spend $500 on a roll of vinyl to do a $200 job....

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

IronHawk

Another suggestion that I could throw in would be to try the other materials and write your own profile for them.

That would certainly keep you from being locked down to just one material supply...

petepaz

i would think you could get smaller rolls of roland material now that they put out the versa studio 20" printer. we use oracal 3651 and 3164 in both 30" & 54" not too expensive. we have 3 roland printers we use this material on and i use the roland standard profiles with no color issues.

Jackpine

A CiberSupply-TT said ...Have you considered 24" rolls of non Roland media that performs the same function?
I've used 24" and smaller white vinyl from various dealers on a Falcon 38 with no problems. I have had jobs that were printed on frosted silver (shower doors) and other specialty vinyls.

amw

Longtime Members
You do NOT have to use roland media to use the roland color chart.
Print the chart out on oracal and now you have a oracal color chart for your roland printer. Print the same chart on 3M and now its a 3M color chart.
You should print the chart on every kind of vinyl, paper, etc. that you will be using...then you have a color chart for each kind.

Marsha

CS-SignSupply-TT

+1 Color Charts

You do NOT have to use roland media to use the roland color chart.
Print the chart out on oracal and now you have a oracal color chart for your roland printer. Print the same chart on 3M and now its a 3M color chart.
You should print the chart on every kind of vinyl, paper, etc. that you will be using...then you have a color chart for each kind.

Marsha

You will save time and effort, while establishing color consistentcy, and crating more profit :goodpost:

2B

the other point to be aware of is you can go to the website of the vinyl manufacture and download their profiles for the machine that you are using.

They will have already done the testing and will have a profile that "best fits" their material

Finally as already suggested do your own custom profiles for the truest colors and most accurate ink usage.

Todd-sta

Great suggestions folks... some of which we have done in the past. My biggest hurdle seems to be the *quality* of the print when I substitute a non-Roland vinyl..... the Roland profiles seem to print quality prints on Roland material... but if I sub in a different manufacturer's vinyl... such as LG or General Formulations... then the colors are completely 'whacked' and we also see banding issues come into play.

Have any of you experienced this?

Also - Petepaz.... where do you get your material? Thanks everyone! Great input.

amw

Longtime Members
Great suggestions folks... some of which we have done in the past. My biggest hurdle seems to be the *quality* of the print when I substitute a non-Roland vinyl..... the Roland profiles seem to print quality prints on Roland material... but if I sub in a different manufacturer's vinyl... such as LG or General Formulations... then the colors are completely 'whacked' and we also see banding issues come into play.

Have any of you experienced this?

Also - Petepaz.... where do you get your material? Thanks everyone! Great input.
Because you are using the wrong profile for that vinyl.
We use oracal right next to roland media and you cant tell which is which.
But you cant just think the profile for roland media is going to print the same on a dif companys vinyl, you either make your own profiles or get them from the company that made the vinyl.

Marsha

Marsha

2B

Because you are using the wrong profile for that vinyl.
We use oracal right next to roland media and you cant tell which is which.
But you cant just think the profile for roland media is going to print the same on a dif companys vinyl, you either make your own profiles or get them from the company that made the vinyl.

Marsha

Marsha

This

were running the VS 640 machines, cant tell which vinyl is which side by side when the correct profile is used.

tomence

For the VS and now the new RE printers, the profiles that come with versaworks are only good for roland material. For this printers to print perfect you need to custom profile your media. Even if you find a good profile within versaworks they lay down too much ink.

scuba_steve2699

For the VS and now the new RE printers, the profiles that come with versaworks are only good for roland material. For this printers to print perfect you need to custom profile your media. Even if you find a good profile within versaworks they lay down too much ink.

I disagree. There are many medias that the Roland profiles work well for. You could duplicate the profile and reduce the ink limits if you think they are too high but I have seen many work very well without any adjustments.

I do agree that the best results will be obtained with a custom profile but not everyone can afford $2000 for the spectro and profile creation equipment.