• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND INK or THIRD PARTY

signnation

We print with a VP-540, as well as, an XC-540 and are considering making the switch to third party inks.

Do you use third party inks for your Roland printer?

If you are happy with you results what brand ink are you using?
cost per 440 and where are you buying it?

Mike F

Quote from another forum, straight from a Roland tech:

I have seen printers that use it and they seem happy with the colors. Keep in mind that it voids your warranty, has excessive misting, is more corrosive, and can lead to damaged heads, boards, cables etc. Just an fyi. It will save you up to a whopping $0.05 per square foot on ink costs though.

BTW - your profiles will all need to be adjusted manually for the different gamut output of the inks too.

Just my two cents :)

He was talking about Bordeaux inks, but I think the same generally applies to most other 3rd party inks as well.

royster13

One of my suppliers told me they print 9,000,000 square feet a year.....A nickel a foot adds up....

petepaz

years ago i had some issues with my capping stations called the roland tech and he told me that the third party inks void my warranty. turns out that the capping stations weren't covered under the warranty anymore so it really didn't matter (they are a comsumable) . here is the biggest kicker i don't know for sure if it voids your warranty or not (and the magnuso warranty act was way too much reading with out any pictures for me..haha) but i have seen roland dealers who will sell you the third party inks so some thing doesn't jive there. main thing like has been said before how much are you really saving if you are going through that much ink maybe you have to get some sort of bulk ink system. for the little i would save it's not worth the risk of damage to the machine.

Bly

We use Bordeaux.
Our supplier is so confident he has taken over the warranty on both our Rolands.

changing inks does not void your warrenty, that is agaist the law!

we use oem ink and are sticking(excuse the pun) with oem. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Gene@mpls

Triangle Inx- for this machine and the last, have never printed with Roland
ink. My (Roland) tech is amazed at how well the heads stand up and how
good the prints look. One head in 6+ years. Much more durable too- a
liter is $125ish- that is about what I googled a 440 Roland cartridge- sounds
like more that a nickle a foot to me. Someone should set up a poll for the
common aftermarket inks? I am happy with mine but this comes up constantly. Gene

Mike F

Hey, check out this link regarding "warranty void" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

changing inks does not void your warrenty, that is agaist the law!

That issue was brought up over there as well...

I can GUARANTEE that your warranty will be voided and you will be liable for everything. The Magnuson act applies to consumer products. You are using a COMMERCIAL product and is not covered under that law. Roland is very specific about this during tech training and stresses it to us to make sure you as the consumer know it.

:Oops:

J Hill Designs

I can GUARANTEE that your warranty will be voided and you will be liable for everything. The Magnuson act applies to consumer products. You are using a COMMERCIAL product and is not covered under that law. Roland is very specific about this during tech training and stresses it to us to make sure you as the consumer know it.

gotta love lawers

Gene@mpls

Liter=$125. 440ml=$125(or a hundred or whatever the street price is).

440ml= .44 liter... I am getting 2.27 cartridges per liter = way more than $20/30 per cartridge? Nothing personal Colorado- I just don't think people realize what a difference there really is.

PS I have been enjoying your latex info.

Jack Knight1979

I've used Solaris on my roland for years with no problems. ZERO PROBLEMS. That's saying a lot because I used Triangle before and I spent a lot of time and money trying to get one print out of the machine.

Solaris works every day.

You do need to print a lot to make it worth it. I save a ton of money.

If I used the machine a couple time a week, I would still go OEM.

rjssigns

I tried the third party inks. They nearly killed my Roland. Any money I "saved" got eaten up with the last service call. Lines, caps,dampers you name it. It all had to be replaced.
The misting issue is true also, besides using more ink you will get over spray on the carriage belt on which eventually ruins it. Buy one one those bad boys along with the tech call to replace it. My new tech rep Jason has scores of horror stories about third party inks. (Yes I am allowed to talk to his customers for verification)
One final note: The guy I bought my printer from also sold me his 3rd party inks. Swore they were exactly the same as OEM. The honeymoon lasted about six months before all hell broke loose. When I tried to call for service the third time (in a week) because of his inks he stopped answering my calls.

HulkSmash

Liter=$125. 440ml=$125(or a hundred or whatever the street price is).

440ml= .44 liter... I am getting 2.27 cartridges per liter = way more than $20/30 per cartridge? Nothing personal Colorado- I just don't think people realize what a difference there really is.

PS I have been enjoying your latex info.

Just speaking from experience. I was offered sams inks for my 2 9000's
i was paying 170 a cartridge, and they wanted 150 for their house inks.

BoF

If you are told that a third party ink will dam,age your printer I suggest you ask the OEM & third party supplier for copies of their MSDS.

Then you can see what solvents are in each ink

Jack Knight1979

RJSsigns,

What brand ink did you use in your Roland. I've tried most of them.
The worst offender was LexJet's ink. Cost me around 5k to get it working after about three weeks of use.

They've since discontinued the product, but I've never used anything LexJet offers since.