• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland LEJ-640 VersaUV LEJ Hybrid UV-LED Flatbed Inkjet Printer

adamfilip

Roland just introduced the
Roland LEJ-640 VersaUV LEJ Hybrid UV-LED Flatbed Inkjet Printer

I wonder if it will print directly onto PVC Sintra 6mm or 12mm

thesignpost

Printing on PVC

It does print on PVC, but not very well. On the lighter colors of the image it leaves tractor marks. I believe it has to do with the type of pinch rollers they are using. I dont know why the rollers are different than all of they're other machines.

Jack Knight1979

I like that they are breaking into this market, but the machine misses the mark.

I talked to roland a lot about this machine. They want to sell it for acrylic and leather printing, package prototyping, etc.

You can't run any large boards through it and if you do it's SLOW. Can't run a 4x8 of foam core through it either. Roland told me it won't take Sintra or MDO, or other signs substrates because they are too heavy for the rollers to pull through. It will run them cut down into small pieces like 2x3, 3x4, but no whole boards.

I think it's a great machine for specific markets. What those markets are, I have no idea.

artbot

little tip from someone that's been printing on flat boards with pinch rollers for 10 years (much to my dismay).

slightly flexible sheets (coro, gatorfoam, etc, ) will run better with less pressure if you slightly tilt the back table into the machine and the front table slightly uphill. with my printer set this way, i can run material for several feet with the pinch rollers up. the effect is it creates a board straightening trough right where the carriage travels.

you will see the same idea expressed in an old HP deskjet. ever noticed how the paper is cupped by plastic fingers inside the printer rather than letting the paper run flat? this de-puckers the inconsistencies in the sheet of paper right at the print head.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
It will definitely run Sintra, foam boards, and a variety of other sign materials in 4 x 8 sheets. We do it every day in our demo room here.

There are weight limitations that will preclude the use of full sheets of certain 1/2" materials, since they are just too heavy. That's the problem with MDO. It is however, a weight, not a size, restriction. Thinner and/or lighter sheets will run just fine.

The LEJ-640 is a very high resolution machine, and that combined with standard white and clear has made it popular for package prototyping and other specialty proofing applications. However, that isn't all it is good for. If you do a search, I know you will find at least one Signs101 member who seems very happy with his for sign applications.

I'm happy to provide print samples to anyone who asks. With a little coordination, we can even print your files and material. PM me for more info.

artbot

i can get the pics. it's four 5x4 (all long end to long end i can feed a 5x10). made of melamine (1/2") on top of 3/4" plywood. ugly wood table legs with risers. and "kiddy-scape" blowers. one blower is enough for a 5x10 table. if you are going really heavy you could do one blower per table.

then feather boards on the left, a guide attached to the printer front and back.
'
if you set a sheet of dibond or whatever and you aren't keeping an eye on it, the piece will just sail right off the edge. so essentially the sheet weighs less to the printer than vinyl.

it sounds like an easy project. but it will take two days and several hundred dollars worth of wood and glue, etc. go with about a 1 foot range on the far back table for really getting the back end of it higher than the rest of the tables. gravity is also your friend.

rexsee

can it run rolls of polycarbonate sheets with white? not the twinwall type of polycarbonate but sheets only.. can this or the LEC cut and crease the polycarb material, it's hard but it's thin, probably around .20 - .50mm thick, thanks in advance, I'm pretty much looking for a printer which can print on this material, similar to the material used in the package of refrigerators and washing machines

CS-SignSupply

The LEC can print on the Polycarb as well as crease and perfcut the material.

Max thickness is 1mm while max roll weight is 66 lbs for the 54" model.

thesignpost

Dont waste your money

So far, I have had to replace 4 heads, 12 cap stations and 3 dampers since this machine came out. The heads are the same as the XC Pro 3, so why do they cost more? They use the same cap stations, dampers and heads, but the ink is too aggressive. Brilliant Roland, every time I have a big job it ends up having to replace parts. Its down more than it is printing. why not use the XC 540 Pro 3 as a blueprint next time, That machine is virtually bulletproof.

uvledprinter

uvledforums UV LED Printers SPEC sheet for Roland versaUV LEF series

Here is a SPEC Sheet for the Roland VersaUV LEF Hybrid UV-LED Flatbed Inkjet Printers

http://uvledforums.com/forums/roland/

The pricing listed there is LEF-12 is under $20K and the pricing for the LEF-20 is under $30K. Is that correct? Who are the distributors for the Roland VersaUV LEF printers?

So far, I have had to replace 4 heads, 12 cap stations and 3 dampers since this machine came out. The heads are the same as the XC Pro 3, so why do they cost more? They use the same cap stations, dampers and heads, but the ink is too aggressive. Brilliant Roland, every time I have a big job it ends up having to replace parts. Its down more than it is printing. why not use the XC 540 Pro 3 as a blueprint next time, That machine is virtually bulletproof.

player

Thanks for the heads up... You just saved me $67,000 and years of pain.

CS-SignSupply

The Roland heads are the same price and listed as the XC-540 heads. Not sure why yours would cost more... There was a price increase on all Service Parts 2-3 years ago that raised the price of the head about $100. The dampers are also the same price while you will need to reuse the foil cover seeing as this one is the UV ink.

I would suspect more environmental issues, unless you print non-stop on this unit for the estimated 2 to 3 years you have owned the unit and your shot counts were really high.

Did the dealer you purchased this from visit your location for a site survey prior to installation?

Our experience is more heads are replaced due to head strikes than clogs or part failure.

Travis

Can someone who owns or sells the LEJ-640 tell me if it is capable of printing on both sides of sintra and/or gatorboard? Any issues that may arise or tips? We are looking to purchase another printer this year and the LEJ-640 seems to fits our budget and needs, but we would need the ability to print on both sides of boards.

Fusion Graphics

Roland Lej640

Can anyone provide the service manual for this machine?? I have a clients machine to fix but dont really want to go in blind as i have not worked with a uv machine before ie changing dampers etc?? I would assume as per normal?? or do I have to do in dark with infra red??
If we can get a pdf service manual PLEASE!!!! could you please email us sales@fusioninx.co.nz

Thank you

fastnugly

Roland LEJ-640

Hey Andrew, new to this site & can't send you pm. But, we manufacture certain products & our needs are very different. But I really think this LEJ-640 may do the job. Please email me at my greatrvdeals@yahoo.com email, so I can discuss my idea with you.

Thanks!
Jason

It will definitely run Sintra, foam boards, and a variety of other sign materials in 4 x 8 sheets. We do it every day in our demo room here.

There are weight limitations that will preclude the use of full sheets of certain 1/2" materials, since they are just too heavy. That's the problem with MDO. It is however, a weight, not a size, restriction. Thinner and/or lighter sheets will run just fine.

The LEJ-640 is a very high resolution machine, and that combined with standard white and clear has made it popular for package prototyping and other specialty proofing applications. However, that isn't all it is good for. If you do a search, I know you will find at least one Signs101 member who seems very happy with his for sign applications.

I'm happy to provide print samples to anyone who asks. With a little coordination, we can even print your files and material. PM me for more info.