• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland pro4

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Scratch resistance is not as high with metallic and white as it is with other colors. We continue to recommend lamination when using them, even with the new generation. With lamination, metallic has close to the same fade resistance as any other ecosolvent, and we have had users wrapping with metallic colors since we introduced the VS series a couple of years ago. White is less durable. We quote a year outdoors. Information is available here: http://rolanddga.com/products/inks/.

Robert - The XR-640 is a pretty different animal from the GS6000. Come find me at SGIA and I'll be happy to show you the machine.

rjssigns

The new Roland sounds cool. So does the Epson. My big issue with both of them? All those expensive ink slots to fill. And if I want to do the "trick" stuff both are very slow. No one talks about gamut or percent of PMS colors they can hit either.

I need a rocket that can hit PMS codes since things have shifted slightly for us.

That being said our old Roland print/cut still knocks it out everyday.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
RJ - Keep an eye out for the next version of VersaWorks in a month or so. It will have some better tools for matching Pantone colors. Like always, it is a free upgrade and those features will be backward compatible to your machine.

amw

Longtime Members
RJ - Keep an eye out for the next version of VersaWorks in a month or so. It will have some better tools for matching Pantone colors. Like always, it is a free upgrade and those features will be backward compatible to your machine.

This sounds pretty good to me!
Looking forward to it.

Marsha

Charlie J

If I bought one of these, would I be able to print white on clear? Would it actually look good? I've heard the opacity isn't good with white ink.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Charlie - Yes, you would be able to print on clear. The opacity isn't as high as screen print white, but it is a lot better than some of what you've probably heard about in the past. We're into our third generation of white ink, and the primary improvement each time we've upgraded has been opacity. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'd be happy to drop a sample print in the mail. It might take me a couple of weeks before we've built up the sample inventory, but I'll get one out.

tomence

I wish i waited little bit longer to get this printer, but then on the other hand don't need a cutter so am pretty happy with the RE. Would've been happier if the RE was offered with two printheads.

LargeFormat

2C,

I order two Pro 4's today. One to show and one to go. The high quality print speeds are using WT and MT. We should be able to double thew printing speeds with an CYMKlclm printing mode. I will let you know when we get them in.

Best regards,

Peter Spilger
Toryon Tech
Roland Authorized Dealer
Phoenix AZ
602-262-8300

synergy_jim

We are demoing one at SGIA. Probably going to pick it up. Scratch resistance is a pointless feature of inks.... any time you want durability you laminate it anyways....

We currently have the XC540 and it is a tank. If this thing is as durable, it's a winner for sure. We bought one of the first XC's in the country and have not had to replace a single part except for regular consumables....

ProWraps

ill wait until the l26500's hit 10K like the 25500's did and ill buy 3 for the same price.

metalic is nice and so is white. but completely unsellable in my market. no one cares.

zagoaristides

I'm very confused because I read a lot about the options I can afford. Reviews about the s70670 are pretty good. Why is that many people recomend HP, Mimaki or Roland that are older technology? Many brands use Epson Heads, and this new one has the last technology DX6 if I'm not wrong.

HP plotters produce a lot of heat that can melt second brand vinyls like many times we have. Also they don't print in white, and for me is a very important issue because we print on faux leather products like boxing gloves. The others are Roland and Mimaki, but the Mimaki JV33 (which I can afford) is 2 generations older compared with the Epson. The Roland Pro 4 has also a cutting element that I won't use.

I really don't know if someone can clarify some of my doubts.

The last doubt is the alternative inks for the new generation heads I wrote some lines ago. Someone is developing for DX6 heads? Are you going to have white/silver inks?

Thanks a lot.

Charlie J

just curious why you'd never get another printer/cutter? quality issues or lack of use? I'm shopping, so I'd love to hear your answer. . .

Having only one machine isn't very efficient. It you have a separate cutter, you can cut other jobs while printing.

My old printer/cutter wasn't nearly as accurate as my graphtec when it comes to cutting.

I also found that long prints would bring a lot of dirt/contaminants back into the machine during cutting. The printers are very sensitive and need to be cleaned regularly.