• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland question's

kustom.printing

Hi just a couple of quick question's.

If my ink is running out and I have a new cart when is the best time to change.

Is there any way short of ripping the power plug out to stop sheet cut as it moves the material forward when just about to cut and sometimes can be hard to judge.

Thanks in advance.

threeputt

The machine itself will beep to let you know when it's time to insert an ink cartridge.

Can't make sense out of your second question.

KJORDAN

1. It will stop itself and prompt you to change ink cartridges.
2.Why or when would you need to do this?
3. Please learn to use apostrophes.

peavey123

When the ink runs out. lol Unfortunately the VP only has 4 cartriges so when it runs out it could kill your print. You can check your ink levels, so say your magenta is really low and you are about to run a very red print, you may want to change the catridge before you start printing.

As for cutting. Are you refferring to the media cut off? or contour cutting? because you can see the plastic looking strip where it cuts the material off...shouldn't be hard to judge at all...

synergy_jim

When the ink runs out. lol Unfortunately the VP only has 4 cartriges so when it runs out it could kill your print. You can check your ink levels, so say your magenta is really low and you are about to run a very red print, you may want to change the catridge before you start printing.

thats crap.... it stops its self... just have the cartridges near by and switch when it say's " Hey dude... I'm out of ink "

peavey123

thats crap.... it stops its self... just have the cartridges near by and switch when it say's " Hey dude... I'm out of ink "

Thats not crap...What are you talking about? It leaves a line in your print!! So let me re-phrase that. IF you are picky about your prints, then it could kill your print. If you don't give a crap then just wait for the beep and don't plan ahead ever.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I replace the cartridges when the machine tells me to.. in the middle of a print.. whatever. Haven't had a problem yet.

I too am not sure what you are asking on the second one.. but if you are asking how to stop a cross cut after you start then the only answer I know is to pull the plug...

threeputt

Thats not crap...What are you talking about? It leaves a line in your print!! So let me re-phrase that. IF you are picky about your prints, then it could kill your print. If you don't give a crap then just wait for the beep and don't plan ahead ever.

We've never, ever seen a line or anything that would indicate the printer had stopped for a minute while a cart was changed out.

If yours is doing that, there may be a mis-match between your media and the profile you're using. Just a guess. Have your tech come out and look at it.

Seriously, you're being a slave to your machine instead of the other way around. Use it's built-in feature of warning when ink is low.

peavey123

We've never, ever seen a line or anything that would indicate the printer had stopped for a minute while a cart was changed out.

If yours is doing that, there may be a mis-match between your media and the profile you're using. Just a guess. Have your tech come out and look at it.

Seriously, you're being a slave to your machine instead of the other way around. Use it's built-in feature of warning when ink is low.

Good thing I'm using a Mimaki now.

synergy_jim

still crap.... learn how to calibrate and don't take 15 mins to open a cartridge.

Bigdawg

Just Me

Baloney. Never... Ever... Ever.. had a problem and I'm one of the pickiest wenches you want to run across. If you are having issues more then likely it's operator error on your end...

peavey123

Baloney. Never... Ever... Ever.. had a problem and I'm one of the pickiest wenches you want to run across. If you are having issues more then likely it's operator error on your end...

You guys are freakin vultures today! lol It used to happen on the SP-540V and the VP-540. The VP was bought brand new...If anything it was the profiling, because the owner wouldn't shell out the cash for proper colour management. We used to get a line where it would stop when it ran out of ink. Looked like maybe it dried before the machine would start up again. I've heard of this happening at other shops as well. In fact, I've recieved prints that I've farmed out with these mysterious lines as well which were printed on the VP. So chill out will ya! lol There's no balony or crap here...sheesh.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Vultures huh? LOL... hmmm not been called that before...

Bad profiling falls under operator error in my book... may not be YOUR operator error, but just changing the inks should not cause a problem. Got my back up a lil when you implied because I don't get the line... that I don't care and am putting out inferior work.. hence the baloney comment...

scuba_steve2699

You guys are freakin vultures today! lol It used to happen on the SP-540V and the VP-540. The VP was bought brand new...If anything it was the profiling, because the owner wouldn't shell out the cash for proper colour management. We used to get a line where it would stop when it ran out of ink. Looked like maybe it dried before the machine would start up again. I've heard of this happening at other shops as well. In fact, I've recieved prints that I've farmed out with these mysterious lines as well which were printed on the VP. So chill out will ya! lol There's no balony or crap here...sheesh.

You must be rolling in it to have a SP540, VP540 and now a mimaki? I have been using the SP300 for over 2 years and now have a VP 540 and never had any issues that you are talking about. I am with the rest of them, have a cartridge handy when it gets low and when the machine tells ya to change it, CHANGE IT!

peavey123

You must be rolling in it to have a SP540, VP540 and now a mimaki? I have been using the SP300 for over 2 years and now have a VP 540 and never had any issues that you are talking about. I am with the rest of them, have a cartridge handy when it gets low and when the machine tells ya to change it, CHANGE IT!

Nope not rollin in the dough yet unfortunately. The Rolands were at my last job. The Mimaki at my current one.

OH and to stop the VP from cutting I believe you just have to lift the lever for the rollers.

Tim Aucoin

I'll add my two cents worth I suppose. I've been watching this post from above (I guess like a vulture), and can't help but "dive in"!
I've had my refurbished Roland (SP540-V) for 6 months now. Changed cartridges half a dozen times WHEN IT TOLD ME TO, and never, ever had a quality problem mid print. Actually happened one time when I was at lunch in the middle of a 12' banner. I freaked at first, but once it started up again, the banner finished printing without the slightest clue of an ink change happening!

The question about stopping cutting mid way... WHY?? The OP has yet to answer the question.

Bigdawg

Just Me
....The question about stopping cutting mid way... WHY?? The OP has yet to answer the question.

LOL... for me it's because I forgot to take off the long banner material holders and didn't want to damage the head or the knife.... oops....

Tim Aucoin

LOL... for me it's because I forgot to take off the long banner material holders and didn't want to damage the head or the knife.... oops....
LOL... I can imagine the moment you realize you left them on and the sudden panic that sets in... It's times like these that we move faster than we ever realized we could! :ROFLMAO:

StreamlineDesign

I think the original 2nd question was asking about when you do a sheet cut after a print; The material is fed an inch or so forward, then the cut is made. I think he's asking if there is a way to stop the material feed before the cut is made so there's less waste. ? That's what my decoder ring says anway....