• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC 540 printing crazy

kffernandez

cable goes from your head to carriage board. and another cable is connected from your carriage board to your head board. you will have to open the back panel for that last part. if you haven't done it before, i suggest you get a tech in first, or at least a service manual if you are comfortable reading technical drawings.

a damage on any part of that line might cause a short on the electrical signals which is what you might be experiencing now.

kelly

otctech

When you say you replaced the cables did you replace the long cables going from head board to the carriage board? That would be my first guess since it only does it at a certain point. If you replace that and the problem doesn't go away it is most likely the head board itself. Inspect the board closely for any black burnt marks. Even if you don't see any burnt marks it could still be a board issue though. We've had the exact same thing where the cyan head constantly fired on two different machines. One time it was the head, which also took out a transistor on the head board. the other time it was an IC on the head board. What puzzles me is that it works fine after a certain point, that would still make the cables #1 suspect IMO.

NoBull Graphix

Replaced the cables from the head to the print carriage board. Just wondering if it could be the print carriage board or a transistor on that board..

otctech

Since you only have the problem for part of the print, I would replace the cables from the carriage board to the head board. It seems if it were a board issue you would always have the problem, not just in certain locations. Those cables get bent every time the printer makes a pass so think about how many times they've been bent then straightened. From your symptoms it sounds like when the cable is bent you have an open or short then when the cable is straight the open or short goes away. Also the two cables from the head board to the carriage board for the cyan head are much cheaper to replace than the head board itself. That's what I would try next.

otctech

If you are talking about the one that shows the cyan head constantly firing on several test prints and the black on one then yes I did. Like I said we had the exact same thing happen on 2 different machines. One time it was a bad head, the other a bad head board. You've eliminated the head since when you switch cables (I am assuming you switched cables at the head only, correct?) the problem moves to the black head. I would suspect the head board if it wasn't for the fact that you said it prints correctly for part of the print. All that being said it could still be your head board. If you switch your cables at both ends (the head board and the carriage board) and the problem stays with cyan it is most likely your head board. If the problem moves to the other head it is most likely your cables.

NoBull Graphix

Sent the head board out mac media for them go over it. Maybe a transistor. The print carraige board is being replaced also. So i dont know at this time.lol. Just spending money.. This industry needs decent people that dont charge 700.00 to drive to your place and then say that we cant fix a fuse because they dont want to be liable for it......

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
Print issues

NBG,

Have you had a chance to check in with Roland Tech Support? If you get someone on the phone you can also email them your pics to help with the diagnosis.

Best regards,

David Hawkes
Group product Manager
Roland DGA

NoBull Graphix

I did. They didnt seem interested to help. My problem is that my machine is old. Buy a new one, its time. Thats what I here...Mac Media got back with me and stated that the fuse that was installed was the wrong amp. Other than that the board was fine.. So now i am waiting to get that back and see where I am at.. When this machine is back running it will be for sale... Switching to a Mutoh. Need a printer that I can get serviced locally. Since my roland dealer that is 45 miles away wont touch my machine anymore. I guess you have to buy ink from there in order to get there service. At least thats what I was told.

NoBull Graphix

Well boys, I got the head board back installed the new print carriage board. Test print is the same.............. Now what. Oh I know, shoot the damn thing.

otctech

Did you ever try changing the long ribbon cable from the head board to the carriage board?

Last edited:

MassSign&Decal

Don't laugh, but

Was the Firmware/Default Settings updated/reset at any point before hardware changes were made? (Like I said, don't laugh but....you never know)

JRSdecals

I second to check the LONG print head ribbon cable. The one that runs in the ink chain back to the head driver board. Seen it where a cyan printhead would only stay open on a certain point on the platen. Like you mentioned with the having to basepoint at 21" mark. That probably points to the cable being in a bind over that certain area of the platen which causes the poor output.

Jeremy

NoBull Graphix

No I have not changed any firmware. No I have not changed the flat cable from the print carriage board to head board. I have know idea what to do. I am past my frustation level.

Jason_Elliott

Brad:

Did it turn out to be a problem with the mainboard?
I had this same problem on a RS-640 last week and after 25 minutes of troubleshooting, I determined the board had bad leg on the heat sink (which controls signals to the heads) New mainboard fixed the problem. But I have also seen the transistors be more of a factor from time to time.

Tell us what you did to finally resolve this issue.

I am editing this post, because your printer has a seperate head driver board, and the printer I am referring to, the mainboard has the head board control integrated. but nevertheless these are places I would be looking. The problem your having is definitely electrical and if you have changed all the parts you have listed, then the boards are really the next option. The flat cables that connect to the print carriage board from the head board rarely ever go bad, but anything is possible. Print carriage boards are simply junction boards, I have replaced one in 10 years of my service experience, and that was because the building was struck by lightening and it burned the head cable and the connection on the print carriage board...very rare to be this

Be sure to inspect the cables for rubs or burn spots. I am also hoping that when you are moving cables around that the machine is off and unpluged. Please dont unplug any cables with the power still connected to the machine. You will cause problems for yourself that will get very costly real quick.
I am sure you are unplugging the machine, but I just want to make sure I say that, because you will be inspecting the cable ends which requires unpluggin them from the boards.

Be aware that a loose or partial connection on any of your boards can make these printers do some weird stuff. I would be inspecting all connections on all boards just to be safe. Sometimes the contacts can oxidize and cause issues, just like a car battery that has corossion on the terminals. I use a brand new pencil eraser to clean these contacts.

Last edited: