• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Soljet Pro II SC-540 for sale $200?

Rebel Graphics

Guy wants to meet this weekend, says it only needs cleaning, inks and rip.
What should I look for when inspecting this printer?

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Get it! You can convert firmware settings to be an sc545ex and run versaworks.

How long has it been out of service? Heads are probably dry and will need replacement if it's been sitting for a long time.

You could make a good amount of $$$$ selling the parts on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel Graphics

After a 6hrs round trip, here it is..
Anyone willing to help me restore this baby, it’s my first printer.

Attachments

• 5BBA84BC-A58C-4C2C-BABC-3896CC43CBE1.jpeg
    5BBA84BC-A58C-4C2C-BABC-3896CC43CBE1.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 863
  • F905D597-B47F-4551-9A14-B86660DC1812.jpeg
    F905D597-B47F-4551-9A14-B86660DC1812.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 653
  • AFFA5279-BE16-4828-A422-F235D0CB1A3A.jpeg
    AFFA5279-BE16-4828-A422-F235D0CB1A3A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 781

Rebel Graphics

Printer was sitting idle for about a year and a half. I just finished putting it together and it turns on fine with no errors. Ink lines are empty as well as all cartridges. Got a hold of the service manual and this will turn into my special project.
Any checklist of all parts that need replacement based on routine maintenance?
Thanks

NazGraphics

oh yes that would be a good project good luck
open every single compartment and see if there is any bird nest lol
soak the head in mild solvent
dust of the motherboards

Active Sign

Sign Guy
If the ink lines are empty they might have flushed the heads out before removing from service. This would be a total score because the heads will most likely still be in good running order.

Rebel Graphics

Printer is reading some ink left but if I try to print a test page, no ink comes out. Don’t see any ink flowing.

Attachments

• 290CC955-1C62-4730-A8D3-5DDB597C652A.jpeg
    290CC955-1C62-4730-A8D3-5DDB597C652A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 626

Rebel Graphics

So the holidays are over and I went back to my project. Did some major maintenance and everything turned out fine (major score!). 4 cartridges are empty and need replacement. They are oem 220ml... now my question is, should I buy a knockoff brand since I’m still refurbishing this printer and it’s for testing purposes or should I buy oem to prevent mixing the inks? Any advise and brand/vendor you’d recommend?
Thanks

Attachments

• 77E208A8-7F90-4824-8C15-DDECD0FA1BE7.jpeg
    77E208A8-7F90-4824-8C15-DDECD0FA1BE7.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 613

easystar

Get it! You can convert firmware settings to be an sc545ex and run versaworks.

How long has it been out of service? Heads are probably dry and will need replacement if it's been sitting for a long time.

You could make a good amount of $$$$ selling the parts on eBay.

how did you determine sc540 can be converted to sc545 with firmware. what version is firmware you refer to?

woolly

Confused is it a 540 pro11 or a 545ex
If a sc540 where is the heater control box.
If a 545 then heater control in the main menu.
Also as I understand it if the no1 head is black then it can't be driven by the normal versaworks. There was a special dongled version.
If the black head is no3 I think then can be driven by versaworks.
Have to say the machine is out of date for any chassis parts or dedicated parts but most of the working parts are redaly available.
My sc540 I have had from new well used well loved and cared for is a fantastic machine.
How much you spend on it could be debated. Best of luck could be time and money well spent

Active Sign

Sign Guy
how did you determine sc540 can be converted to sc545 with firmware. what version is firmware you refer to?

Almost Every part on the machines is identical. Flip a couple switches on main board and set dip switch settings in service menu and bam it’s a sc545ex.

I did this on a CJ540 and have been running it as a sc545ex on versaworks for over 5 years. Did the same on a SC540.

Last edited:

neelands

Almost Every part on the machines is identical. Flip a couple switches on main board and set dip switch settings in service menu and bam it’s a sc545ex.

I did this on a CJ540 and have been running it as a sc545ex on versaworks for over 5 years. Did the same on a SC540.
I am converting an SC-540 to an SC-545ex, I have set the dipswitch and installed the newest 545ex firmware. However, I when I try to connect Versaworks says it can't recognize the ink I am using. Are there further steps than this that need to be taken, I know the colors are in different head positions on the 545ex than the 540, my first head is black but I know this is the fourth on an actual 545ex. I joined this site just for this reply on this thread. Thanks for your help, if you can.

Terry01

Will check the dipswitch settings in a couple of days for the 545ex left to right cyan magenta yellow black l/magenta l/cyan
Page 30 on the ex user manual will give you the ink cartridge order but you will need to check the hoses are from those locations to the heads

Last edited:

Rebel Graphics

Ok guys I’m back.
Boyyyy how much I have learned about printers during this project. It’s taking me forever but I’m in no rush anyway. I have replaced all inks (bought cheap just for testing purposes), dampers, caps, wipers and pumps. Friend got me VersaWorks CD. Cutter works flawlessly, Dust it off and looks spanking new! The only thing is I can’t print. No ink is being pulled to the heads. I did a head soak and purge, they were “less than perfect” so being the heads dead is the reason ink is not flowing? I want to make sure before I spend 3k buying all six heads.
Any thoughts?

netsol

so, rebel graphics, did you ever get printing?
i just picked upa sc545-ex, it abruptly stopped printing yellow & black.
i imagine i will need a head board

would it be possible to get a copy of your versaworks disk?
i can email you a ups shipping label

mostly i wanted to hear a happy ending to this story, before imstart pouring money into this machine

Mattell

Can you please share the details on the 'couple of switches and dip switch settings)? Basically asking if you can teach how it's done since some of us can't find COLORIP anymore to install.

Best regards

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If this is strictly because of RIP software, go here for ColoRIP - COLOR | Download | Roland DG Corporation
Even though it says Updater, it is a standalone full install, no previous version needed. If you aren't aware, ColoRIP is a Roland specific version of Wasatch SoftRIP, and works very well.

The 2 models have different mainboard part numbers, however they look virtually identical. Roland does have an annoying habit of changing part numbers for no reason that makes sense, so they very likely are the same electronically. It looks like turning on bit 7 will make the machine act as an SC-545. You will need to upgrade the firmware. In addition, every color is in a different head position. The length of the ink lines for the dampers are cut to length, meaning you will probably not be able to just move the dampers from head to head, which will mean thoroughly flushing every single ink line and moving the dampers to the new ink line position. Quite a bit if work. Not sure of any real advantage in doing this, other than eliminating the "lawnmower" effect in large solid areas.

Perhaps Active Sign will chime in on any issues, as he has apparently done this on 2 different Roland printers.