• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp-540 Advice

dolce05

we've buit up a great reputation designing, furnishing and installing full wraps. We started learning installs and design while outsourceing the prints. After signing on some big work we 've decided to make room for a printer as well. Most of our work is custom outdoor work (wraps, backlit signs, banners). We do about 1-2 full wraps a week with some other digital work added in.

My question is we have been looking into printers (54") for about 6 months and have been leaning towards the sp-540. Our print supplier prints on the Mimaki Jv3 and has supplied us with decent prints (we mainly use 3M180c) but there has been banding issues from time to time. From calling different reps we seem to feel most comfortable with the Roland rep and what he has to offer.......What kind of experience has anyone had with Roland and would you recommend this machine based on our work profile.

Also what laminator is everyone using....we were reccomended the Aplikator being it was in our budget (3,000 - 4,000) w/ heat assist.

FYI- the one thing i can say about the Mimaki is our supplier is an extremly busy outfit (printing with alot of different mach) and has never told us their printer was down and needed extra time to finish project.

Thank you in advance for all your advise!

ChiknNutz

I have that exact machine, but if you can afford it, I'd look harder at the VP-540 or XC-540. Mine's been fine, but these newer machines are faster and have some better features. If it were me buying another printer, I think I'd look even harder at a full 5' machine (63" or better). Although I'm a little skeptical of the long-term durability of the Mutoh printers, the new ValueJet 64" would be a good one to consider too. In addition, I feel you should consider your own profilling gear to make your own media profiles.

dolce05

we have a sc540 ex for sale and a laminator . we have a xc 540 and dont need them any longer

thanks but with this type of equipment we would rather go new

petepaz

we have a sp300 and we liked it so much that 6 months later we bought the vp540
quality about the same but alot faster
we havn't had any problems (knock wood)

woolly

just a thought doing 2 wraps a week on a sp machine may be a bit tedious, i would up the stakes to the xc540 pro3 to give you a bit of capacity left.
if you are doing 2 wraps a week you can easily justify the extra cost.
also the latest upgrade to the xc is apparently superb

woolly

netsirk

Ditto on upgrading to the xc540

We bought an sc540 in jan 07 - and upgraded to the xc540 in may - an expensive lesson - go big - you won't be sorry.

Both are great printers, but for our work, the xc produces 4x the output - we seldom run it more than a few hours a day, but we dramatically cut down our time tending to the printer.

Mark Gering
www.RealTimeDesigner.com

dolce05

woolly what do you mean by tedious. Is it really a slow machine, or it wont be able to handle the work load?? Appreciate the advice non the less

dolce05

Mark point well taken, we're going to see one run wednesday so we'll negotiate for the bigger better deal (now I have to break the news to my partner). lol but all in all i'm guessing your pleased with the machine(s)?

dolce05

after researching all night sunday (while watching the G-Men do their thing) and hearing everyones responses so far we actually have made the upgrade with even thinking twice to the VP for sure. Again thanks everyone for your imput. Seems like the VP is a no brainer for the couple of extra bucks.

jasonx

I'd go the VP or the XC540.

We currently run the SP540V and its printing a good 12-18 hours a day.

We will add the XC540 to the line up soon. We will need the extra speed and it would be good to work a 9-5 job. instead of doing 18 hour days.

dolce05

Jason thanks for the advice we're going with the VP......... but come on now 18 hour days in the sign industy?? no way. lol I don't care what you print with its always a 10 hour day or more. Ive been here since 6:30am and i'm just leaving now 10:45pm. now thats a little excessive but if it makes anyone out there reading this feel better we all work the long hours. They once took a poll..... they asked 100 sign guys (and ladies) how many worked over 60 hours a week. 85 said yes....... and 15 lied. thanks again, i go to see one (VP) run tomorrow and part with my money.