• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540

graphixstation

Hi all Im new to this site and its my first post. Im new to this game and have bought myself a Roland SP-540. What everyones views on this machine?? Intend to use it for printing and cutting but also for just cutting vinyl graphics, will this be a good machine for this??

anotherdog

got a vp540 myself, the sp is a slightly slower version. Great machines, great quality.
perfect for getting started in this trade.

Jim Doggett

If you already own it, it'll have to be good enough :^) Kidding.

But sure, it's great for cut-vinyl too. But I think if I were doing a lot of cutting, I'd get a dedicated cutter to save wear-and-tear on the printer. Plus, if you get a Summa or Graphtec cuttter you'll also have a superior contour-cutting ability after removing prints and laminating them.

graphixstation

Thanks for the replies, im starting out with this and if im doing alot of cutting and printing i will be looking for a dedicated cutter. Real nice people in these forums willing to help each other, I like this.

Thanks

Mainframe

If you have just bought an sp 540 & are starting out, the thought of getting or needing another cutter to cut you lam prints is idiotic, You can print & cut a BOATLOAD of jobs before you need another cutter, especially if you are by yourself. The Roland cutters do a very nice job for the people who know how to set them up, I have one that cuts my lam prints so close it is just plain scary.

The SP is a very versatile machine that covers a wide variety of tasks for a small shop. There are more than a few shops out there that have made a lot of money with the machine you bought, do the cleanings & search the posts for tips & tricks, enjoy the printer....it's one of the good ones.

Velocity

Had mine for 4 years now and its like anything else, it has its little quirks but take care of it and it will take care of you. Just dont turn the main power off, the printer needs to power on and clean itself every so often, it helps keep the ink from drying in the heads.

BTW Heads run around $600, dont learn the hard way. LOL

graphixstation

Were can i look for the hints and tips on looking after this machine and how to get the best out of it?? My machine is coming on thursday/friday this incoming week and am getting a day and a hlf training on it aswell.

Mainframe

This forum has has a separate Roland section you can sift through & learn about your machine, also Roland has a closed forum for machine owners, you will need your serial number to join, but it may be helpful to you, although you will not find a better collection of helpful & knowledgeable people than signs 101- as far as getting advise & just plain tips, Signs 101 is the answer!