• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V Horizontal Banding Issue

Ramsey_Wraps

I have a Roland SP-540v and I can not get it to print right. I have attached pictures of the issue and test prints for calibration. Have done all the regular maintenance but nothing seems to help.
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0405.jpeg
IMG_0405.jpeg
IMG_0406.jpeg

The Bidirectional adjust print drops out the magenta row so bad I can't tell how to adjust it...
Please any help would be appreciated....

Joe House

Start with the basics - replace your cap tops - use genuine Roland cap tops, wiper and make sure you clean the bottom of your print heads. Do a couple of cleanings and check it out. Next step would be to replace dampers - again, I'm a big fan of OEM parts here too. Be careful that you don't damage the manifold on the print head when you change these out and make sure that the o-rings are in their proper place. If that doesn't fix it, you're likely to need a new head.

Good Luck

rjssigns

Head looks fine. Very little deflection and very few missing nozzles.
In the interim try a unidirectional print and see what happens. If it looks better it points towards something in the ink train being off.

I agree with Joe on replacing cap tops, dampers, and wiper as a starting point.

zsa

Sticker
Feed calibration?
if not than Dampers for sure, also check the cartriges if all good, the head doesn't gets the ink needed for full print, or the cable to the head is damaged, but also looks like the head is dying slowly.
it's an old prinhead?
Try other color tones to print so you can be sure it's only the Yellow& Magenta head we are talking about

Ramsey_Wraps

OK still having issue. I replaced wipers, flushed out the caps and lines but it still is banding and colors changes from left to right see attached pictures, you'll notice the first and last snake are different. But it is the same file just 4 copies of it. About to lose my mind with this printer.... help?! snk3.png snk2.png
snk1.png
snk2.png
snk3.png
snk2.png
snk1.png

rjssigns

If the prints are good on the right but get worse as the head travels left it's starving for ink.

Do a Fill Test and report back.

If that's messed up then at bare minimum you need to replace the dampers. After that replace the cap tops. Flushing does nothing if the seal is shot.

Homework: Order cap tops, dampers and wipers. They don't go bad and are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

guillermo

I have a Roland SP-540v and I can not get it to print right. I have attached pictures of the issue and test prints for calibration. Have done all the regular maintenance but nothing seems to help. View attachment 144769 View attachment 144770 View attachment 144770 View attachment 144771

The Bidirectional adjust print drops out the magenta row so bad I can't tell how to adjust it...
Please any help would be appreciated....

How old is the printer and how many shots the print head has?, my machine an RE640 had the same issue with the red, exactly like that, I used for a white for not so important prints, but we ended up replacing the print head, much better than getting a new printer.

Leave the print head or heads with cleaning fluid overnight, clamp the hoses going to the waste container, fill the captops and return the head home, next day, unclamp the hoses, turn it on and do as normal, a test print, hope this help.

Ramsey_Wraps

If the prints are good on the right but get worse as the head travels left it's starving for ink.

Do a Fill Test and report back.

If that's messed up then at bare minimum you need to replace the dampers. After that replace the cap tops. Flushing does nothing if the seal is shot.

Homework: Order cap tops, dampers and wipers. They don't go bad and are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

Fill Test... Can you give me a little more on what that is? lol, I'm ordering cap tops and dampers... got the wipers.
Thanks for all your help.

rjssigns

Fill Test... Can you give me a little more on what that is? lol, I'm ordering cap tops and dampers... got the wipers.
Thanks for all your help.

Fill Test is in the Service Menu. IIRC this is how you access Service Mode. Using arrow keys press Down Right Left Up. Then hold Left Down Right while clicking Power button. Might take a couple try's.

Once in you have access to everything. Somewhere on Signs101 someone posted the service manual for the SP540V. I suggest finding and downloading it.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I agree with rjssigns on the parts replacements and to assess printhead condition. Service menu is Down Right Left Up Right Down Left. Then hold Left Down Right while clicking Power button.
Keep in mind this. The nozzle test is like starting your car and it idles fine. Printing is like running your car at highway speeds. You are now putting a load on the print heads and that is when you truly see the head performance and issues. The fill test is my first go-to print test to see the condition of the heads. This is where you can see which head has banding or overspray issues.

rjssigns

Everything except M looks good on the fill test. Odd thing is your test print shows M along with the other channels to be in fantastic shape. I would have suspected issues with K, but I'm not seeing it. Although Magenta issues can cause large color swings with certain files.

Gotta be somewhere in the cap top or dampers.

Ramsey_Wraps

Everything except M looks good on the fill test. Odd thing is your test print shows M along with the other channels to be in fantastic shape. I would have suspected issues with K, but I'm not seeing it. Although Magenta issues can cause large color swings with certain files.

Gotta be somewhere in the cap top or dampers.
Anything else anyone can think of that might help?

Jim Hill

I would also check the two springs under the magenta cap top and maybe even just replace them with new ones.
Somewhere between the magenta damper and the head you have a very small air leak that when you are printing for longer times is sucking air instead of ink.

This is when if becomes a task to check everything from the manifold for airline cracks that are very small.
Check the small rubber O rings where the line connects to the damper and make sure it is not only tight but also sitting correctly.

When you look at the magenta damper does it appear to have the same amount of ink as the other dampers?
Try changing your Magenta ink cartridge to see if that makes any difference with the backing issue.

The entire system from the ink cartridge to the print head only works right IF there are no air leaks and sometimes a airline of a crack in the manifold tube only show itself with everything is under a load and printing.

I do not thing this has anything to do with the capping station.

Jim

Ramsey_Wraps

OK friends, check these pics out..right side printed first, then i took same image and printed it to the left of the first image. magenta is dropping out but it looks like its a distance from the home position that is making the magnets drop out maybe starving of ink? whats my next move replace dampers?

Attachments

• sp540v3.png
    sp540v3.png
    645.7 KB · Views: 541
  • sp-540v2.png
    sp-540v2.png
    686.8 KB · Views: 406
  • sp-540v1.png
    sp-540v1.png
    671.8 KB · Views: 392

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Yes, as has been suggested, replace the magenta damper. Also clean around the post on the print head where the damper goes with a swab damp with cleaning fluid to remove any dried ink buildup. In addition, replace the O-ring on the ink line going into the damper. Examine the tubing where the O-ring goes and if it is indented, snip 1/8 inch off the ink tube so the new O-ring is now in an uncompressed section of the tubing, insuring a good seal. If I remember correctly, Solventinkjet s includes the upper O-ring with the dampers they sell, but verify this with them.

Regards,
Jim Hancock

player

How many times do we need to say replace the dampers? Replace the caps? Instead you replaced the wipers and cleaned the caps.

Good luck.