• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VersaCamm VS-640i doesn't print white

BenBo

Hiya all,

I'm having a few problems with my VS-640i, it just doesn't seem to print the white at all. As you can see from the test prints the white and light Cyan are pretty non existant so I am assuming its something to do with the nozzle? Id assume they're blocked?
It was left in a workshop for a fair few months so it hasn't been maintained for a bit and now I'm just trying to get it back to tip top shape so I can use it. It prints absolutely fine, just not white backgrounds etc and id assume light cyan too.
When I take the ink tubes out from the dampers the ink runs out so I'd assume the tubing isnt blocked? It could be the dampers maybe? Or would it most likely be the nozzle being blocked? I have done a couple of overnight soaks too in the hopes that would help, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpeg
    IMG_8313.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8312.jpeg
    IMG_8312.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

damonCA21

If it was left for a few months it has almost certainly blocked the damper, and probably the head and cap top tubing as well. White ink congeals really quickly and if you have a printer using it it really has to be left on all the time to run the cleaning cycles. You are probably looking at needing a new head, so I hope you didn't pay too much for the printer!

Head soaking rarely helps with white. You will probably find the ink has taken on the consistency of thick oil paint, or has dried out and clogged completely.

First thing to do is change the damper and captop ( only use OEM Roland ones as the cheap chinese copies are junk ) and also check all the tubing from the captop to the pump to make sure it is completely clear and any connections are not clogged as well.

Then run a powerful clean and see if you have any white coming out into the waste bottle. If none is coming through, but the other colours are, then your head is blocked and will need replacing.

BenBo

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!
I was afraid it had blocked something somewhere. So would you say that’s why the white ink is the one not working? Because it congeals quicker?

I don’t think it was left switched on, I purchased it in a job lot so I’m not too sure.

Is the damper and captop easy to replace? Where would you recommend buying them from?

I will try those things you’ve said and see if it helps. Ideally I don’t want to have to get a new head!

damonCA21

Yes, the white ink is much worse than the other colours. It has a lot more pigment in it, so if it starts to dry then it blocks things very quickly.
If it wasn't left plugged in and switched on for more than a few days then you have very little chance of recovering the head sadly. Try the other things though just in case, but if none of them work then a new head is the only real option. The captop and dampers are easy to replace. If you get a copy of the service manual it takes you through how to do this

netsol

if he can clear the light cyan, couldn't he simply NOT PRINT WHITE, at least for the time being?

it might be worth flushing ALL COLORS (the were all sitting afterall) with a quart of cleaner/flush

IF IT WERE MINE i would add about 10% acetone to the mix (get 2 liters of flush so you can get the acetone out of your priter!)

realistically, you will probably end up purchasing a printhead.
if you do,, buy from a reputable source, (solventinkjet has never steered us wrong, and will offer email tech support, since you have never done this before)

BenBo

Ok that a makes sense then as to why it would be blocked.
I will buy and replace the dampers and captop and see if that helps at all, but it does sound like I will inevitably have to get a new print head.
I kind of need to be able to print white haha. When I print things, all other colours are absolutely fine and like normal, so would there be a need to flush them all? I've done quite a few prints and cleans through so the old ink shouldve been through the system already, ive also replaced a few of the inks too.
What is the acetone? Could you explain that a bit further for me?

Where would you guys recommend getting the Dampers and Captop from in UK? and should I replace only the dampers for the light cyan and white?

Honeslty thank you so much for all your help, I was feeling pretty hopeless about this

damonCA21

If the other colours are ok there is no real reason to flush them, so just doing the cyan and white is fine, although it doesn't hurt to change the dampers as well.
www.joserospares.com in the UK are good for genuine Roland parts. Don't order from Digiprint as most of the things they claim are genuine Roland parts aren't!
Acetone is nail varnish remover you can order bottles on ebay pretty cheap or sometimes get it in supermarkets too. It is very good for cleaning up ink

BenBo

Ok, so what the best way to flush them through? should I just find a youtibe video to follow?
Thank you, I shall check them out and see if I can find the parts I need. Likely a stupid question but do I need specific dampers and captop or are most roland ones for all models?

ah ok cool, so do I simply mix that in with the flushing?

netsol

Ok that a makes sense then as to why it would be blocked.
I will buy and replace the dampers and captop and see if that helps at all, but it does sound like I will inevitably have to get a new print head.
I kind of need to be able to print white haha. When I print things, all other colours are absolutely fine and like normal, so would there be a need to flush them all? I've done quite a few prints and cleans through so the old ink shouldve been through the system already, ive also replaced a few of the inks too.
What is the acetone? Could you explain that a bit further for me?

Where would you guys recommend getting the Dampers and Captop from in UK? and should I replace only the dampers for the light cyan and white?

Honeslty thank you so much for all your help, I was feeling pretty hopeless about

damonCA21

You will need to get the specific ones for your printer as lots of them won't fit, so make sure they are the right ones.
Everything on Roland printers can be fixed, it just depends how many parts and how much it costs!

BenBo

You will need to get the specific ones for your printer as lots of them won't fit, so make sure they are the right ones.
Everything on Roland printers can be fixed, it just depends how many parts and how much it costs!
So for the Captop, I cant find any for Vs-640i but there is for the Vs-640, would they fit the same of does it need to be the 640i version?

Also, can I do the flushing or should I get an technician to do so?

netsol

you should certainly change captop and ALL DAMPERS.
THEY SAY ( i am not sure whoTHEY ARE) that dampers should be changed EVERY 6 MONTHS
ANY TIME amachine sits for that long, new dmper &'captops are a given

BenBo

you should certainly change captop and ALL DAMPERS.
THEY SAY ( i am not sure whoTHEY ARE) that dampers should be changed EVERY 6 MONTHS
ANY TIME amachine sits for that long, new dmper &'captops are a given
Makes sense to be fair. So for the Captop, I cant find any for Vs-640i but there is for the Vs-640, would they fit the same of does it need ot be the 640i version?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Makes sense to be fair. So for the Captop, I cant find any for Vs-640i but there is for the Vs-640, would they fit the same of does it need ot be the 640i version?
As far as I know they are the same, we have a VS-300i, which has the same cap top. According to my service manual the part number is: 6701409200.