• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versaworks not connetcing to VS-640

Sara McDougall

Hi All,

I am currently having problems with the VersaWorks on one of my computers.
Both printers are not connecting from one of the computers (we have 4 computers and 2 VS-640s on the network ) the other 3 computers can print without a problem. I have tried everything I can think of uninstalling, reinstalling, changing IP addresses, backdating VersaWorks, updating VersaWorks, bypassing the firewall, bypassing the virus protection the only thing I haven't tried, that I can think of, is to format the computer and being as the computer is only 5-6 months old i want to avoid that if possible.
Please help if you can is it is driving me bonkers. :banghead:

kanini

Does the computer communicate trough VW with the printer, e.g. does it show the printer status, ink remaining etc. and the only problem is printing? If it doesn't communicate at all (show up as disconnected) you have something with the network/IP settings of the computer. Does the computer belong to the same netwok, the same "subnet mask" or what's it called...

petepaz

may sound stupid but did you check all the cables. make sure they are connected properly or maybe one has gone bad. check your network hub if you have one. we had that happen once and that was bad.

mark in tx

Did you check the subnet address as well as the IP address?
If you have a crossover cable, connect the printer directly to the computer to rule out network equipment issues.

Sara McDougall

It will connect first thing but as soon as i try and print it will disconnect or start printing and stop halfway thru.
Everything is connected to the same network/switch I can ping the IP not a problem, I will try a new cable but i don't think that is on the frits as i use the network for data storage and I can access that not a problem

tnks for all ur help BTW

PS. I have now tried connecting straight to the printer with a new cable and over wireless connection. No change

Last edited:

xxtoni

First thing I would do is go the IP setup in VersaWorks and click on Verify. If it can't connect to the printer you have a few options.

Try restarting the printer, obviously the first thing you should do. Had this happen a few times, wouldn't connect restart fixed it.

Then go into the Network menu in the Roland and make sure that the IP, gateway and subnet there are the same as the ones you have on the PC connecting to the printer.

If you are connecting through a switch or a router try plugging your computer in directly into the printer. At this point make sure that the IP, subnet and gateway on your computer don't change. If it still doesn't work it's probably the cable.

EDIT:

If it prints for a while and stops halfway through it's your network. We encounter this issue from time to time and a router restart will fix it. We have 2 of our computers connected wirelessly and the VS is plugged into the same wireless router. Since we changed the router it has stopped happening so often but it still happens from time to time and it's pretty annoying.

IF you're having trouble connecting directly from your computer into the VS it's probably that the IP settings on your computer, at the Ethernet card aren't setup correctly. Check those.

nhuminh

Maybe the mainboard have problem. I have 2 VS-640 one buy 2 year a go working good, and a new one have that problem after 2 month.
The Roland dealer in my country told me that problem happen to many VS-640 at that time that Roland Japan manufacture. Because Network card integrated in mainboard, they repalce the mainboard and it working good

By the way my oldest VS-640 have to replace scan X motor, it is a technical error from Roland japan manufacture process