• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VG 540 Scan motor error 0020 0020

Pawel90

Hello everyone.

Nice to finally join this forum. Forum help me lot times with some things. This time I can't find anyone who got same problem as me.

Problem:
When printing machine stopping after first few carragie runs and dropping error: Scan Motor Error 0020 0020.
I was always using max speed for printing (1000).

Thing is when I'm drop printing speed machine was working fine for while. First I dropped to 900, then 700, now is running on 500. If I increase speed machine is stopping. Anyone got idea what is going on?

I spoke with Roland Service and been asked to do initialisation. I done it and problem is still here.

Attaching YouTube videos:
While printing (problem occurs in 0:43):

After cutting phase:

Any help will be appreciated. I need speed up my production :).
Thanks

SGS Graphics

Im also new on here but we had some issues with our SOLJET Pro4 XR640 when it was installed as a refurbished machine and from what you describe i think the motor is on its way out as it can cope at slower speeds just not at full. How many hours does it have on it, they have a service life and can go past that but they warn people they hsould replace them.

Im sure somebody with mor experience will comment soon.

Hope you get it fixed soon :)

Pawel90

Im also new on here but we had some issues with our SOLJET Pro4 XR640 when it was installed as a refurbished machine and from what you describe i think the motor is on its way out as it can cope at slower speeds just not at full. How many hours does it have on it, they have a service life and can go past that but they warn people they hsould replace them.

Im sure somebody with mor experience will comment soon.

Hope you get it fixed soon :)
Hello there! How to check it? I'm newbie in that kind of stuff :)

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Try cleaning of the rail the print carriage rides on with alcohol (if you have any) or acetone and then put a very light coating of white lithium grease on the rail using a foam swab. If you continue to get the error at higher speed, it is likely your scan motor is going. Is it noisier at the higher speed than the slower speed?

Pawel90

Try cleaning of the rail the print carriage rides on with alcohol (if you have any) or acetone and then put a very light coating of white lithium grease on the rail using a foam swab. If you continue to get the error at higher speed, it is likely your scan motor is going. Is it noisier at the higher speed than the slower speed?
At the moment I'm running machine in speed 500. Sometimes is getting Noisy.

Edit: Il try cleaning and grease a bit rail.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If you use lithium grease in a spray can, be sure to spray the grease on a swab, then apply a light coating to the rail, as you cannot control the overspray if you try to spray directly on the rail. If the overspray gets on the encoder strip, then you create other issues.

Pawel90

If you use lithium grease in a spray can, be sure to spray the grease on a swab, then apply a light coating to the rail, as you cannot control the overspray if you try to spray directly on the rail. If the overspray gets on the encoder strip, then you create other issues.
Thanks, I just order spray WD 40.
Il collect it tomorrow. Will let you know if the problem is gone.

edit: Also check Carriage belt. Is very dirty caused by Black Dust. Is that can be a case?

Pawel90

I do not find the 0030 code in my service manual. Can you post a pic of the error code screen?
I did not take a picture of it. I switch the machine off. Scan Motor Error 0030 0020 that what was it. And this time error occurred on Start job.

Edit: Machine started normally this time. Il keep you update.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I know it sounds strange, but the VG series can throw a motor error code when any of the 3 cover switches are not completely closed. Check all of them. You can put a foam swab in the slot to close the switch with the covers open. You can adjust the position of the head and maintenance cover switches if needed.

Pawel90

I know it sounds strange, but the VG series can throw a motor error code when any of the 3 cover switches are not completely closed. Check all of them. You can put a foam swab in the slot to close the switch with the covers open. You can adjust the position of the head and maintenance cover switches if needed.
First run with no error. I opened all covers and stick swabs into sensors. Is that really can be a case...? I will keep speeding up the machine and keep you updated. Thanks for help till now =)

Jester

Slow is Fast
Just a wild guess here, but since the other things haven't helped...
In the video I can see that the right side of the printer is almost directly over the radiator heating the room. I wonder if something inside the printer could be getting too hot. Either distorting some structure or affecting something electrical or electronic. Could this be causing the errors?

Pawel90

Just a wild guess here, but since the other things haven't helped...
In the video I can see that the right side of the printer is almost directly over the radiator heating the room. I wonder if something inside the printer could be getting too hot. Either distorting some structure or affecting something electrical or electronic. Could this be causing the errors?

The radiator is off. Il tries to upload new video and maybe someone finds out the weird sound. The video should be here soon.

Video:

Please listen noise when carragie comming right to end of print area and going back.

Last edited:

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
At this point, with the things that have been done and checked, as well as speed reductions helping for a while, then having to be reduced more, I feel your scan motor is dying. This is not uncommon, especially with a machine that gets heavy usage, as I suspect yours does.

Pawel90

At this point, with the things that have been done and checked, as well as speed reductions helping for a while, then having to be reduced more, I feel your scan motor is dying. This is not uncommon, especially with a machine that gets heavy usage, as I suspect yours does.
Is not really hard use. I'm thinking to put more grease on the rail. Is carriage using any other part to move on it?

Also thinking about other things, can I grease a motor or a belt?