• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP 540 too slow

erick

I have had a VP 540 for the last 3 years and I must say its reliable and good quality. Problem is its too slow.

How can I get it to go faster, any upgrade kit or what machine can I get thats faster with good quality at a cheaper price? I am loosing business because of its snail's pace compared to the competitition:frustrated:

tanneji

Ours is plenty fast ... especially once they released the RIPC profiles. I don't see how you could be losing jobs. Work overtime or something. If they need it that fast maybe you should charge a rush fee or something.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
erick

Make sure that you are running the latest firmware and version of VersaWorks. As someone already mentioned, the addition of Roland Intelligent Pass control speeded up the standard mode of the VP quite a bit, but does require a firmware and software update, both of which are free.

Beyond that, creating custom profiles and making sure that your feed calibration is really dialed in can help with overall productivity, since you might find that you can run jobs in lower quality modes without visible banding or other speed related artifacts.

Full disclosure - I do work for Roland in the US, but haven't set up my signature yet.

Last edited:

dolce05

your blaming the printer cause your losing jobs?? lol...who's next the dog. Try a time management class

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They put out about 120 sq ft an hour. If that's too slow, buy a second one just like it and you've doubled your speed immediately.... or upgrade to a faster machine, altogether.

DRamm76

If you are looking for solid quality prints with a decent speed the VP-540 does exactly what you are looking to accomplish. I would, however, follow the suggestions above and make sure you have gotten yourself up to date on the Intelligent Pass Control. This should kick it into a higher gear.

Also, if it's more horsepower you're looking for, you have two solid options. The XC-540 which can operate at speeds up to 440 sq ft per hour, or the VS-640 can be setup in Dual CMYK mode to run at 268 sq ft per hour. Now I'm sure what the situation is over in Nairobi but in the US the VS-640 is in such high demand, reports came out yesterday that anyone who is looking to order one can expect to see it August.

anotherdog

I have to agree the VP 540 is getting slow. I knew it would when I bought it. I'm happy that its now slow. It means my business is doing well and I have to look at more capacity. Right now I'm drooling over the XC and keep the VP next to it.

I have to add that if you are printing all day and selling that vinyl you should have the income to support an upgrade or a second printer...unless you are selling for a buck a foot.