• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland vp540 repair

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I'm not in your area, but what seems to be the issue, it might be something you can self repair?

netsol

you will need. printhead, dampers, captop(s), wiper(s), orings
flush solution, syringe & probably handheld vacuum pump (makes it easy) & set of new inks
smart to buy service manual & download operation manual

not sure if this is one of the machines that locks you out of service menu

netsol

i would buy the service manual, $12.99 isn't a lot of money.
there are free sites, they are all trying to trick you into downloading malware/spyware.

many of us buy our printheads from solvent inkjet.com
they are merchant members here, good pricing, and offer free tech support/advice by email (quick response) if something goes sideways

they can also sell you the other parts at a good price

i think i purchased 3 dx4 heads & a dx7 in the last year from them.

if you buy from them, their tapered syringe is $6.99

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Let me know if you need the service manual, I have a LOT of them covering most of the older 540 Roland models at home... Think I have that one too.

Mactastic

Sign Maker
It's a discontinued product so it will be difficult to source parts, and get a technician to repair it.

petepaz

with all the parts and labor you need might just look in to a new printer, maybe see if they will give you anything on a trade in

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
All consumable parts are available for those printers. Discontinued indicates they don't make it as a model now.
Exactly, also means a certified Roland Tech can't work on it either. As long as your handy, those older models are easier to work on yourself.

Mactastic

Sign Maker
All consumable parts are available for those printers. Discontinued indicates they don't make it as a model now.
OP was asking if someone in Southern California can repair his VP-540. It sounds like they need major parts replaced, one that is not a consumable.

DL Signs

He said it's been idle for two years.
If it wasn't flushed and prepped it could need new lines from the cartridges to the waste tank (readily available), new heads & pump (also readily available), caps, dampers, & other misc parts are all still available. Running a full new ink delivery system like that would probably run 4-5 grand doing it yourself. That is if everything else is in pristine condition, low use, and worth investing that much into. Hiring a tech, you're adding labor, and parts markups if you don't shop around and furnish them yourself, and techs won't even work on older models unless their private contractors, or moonlight. Both options kind of go into the "just buy another printer" territory, lots of working used ones out there in this price range, and it's not that much under new printer options. Quite the dilemma, to fix, or not....

Terry01

He said it's been idle for two years.
If it wasn't flushed and prepped it could need new lines from the cartridges to the waste tank (readily available), new heads & pump (also readily available), caps, dampers, & other misc parts are all still available. Running a full new ink delivery system like that would probably run 4-5 grand doing it yourself. That is if everything else is in pristine condition, low use, and worth investing that much into. Hiring a tech, you're adding labor, and parts markups if you don't shop around and furnish them yourself, and techs won't even work on older models unless their private contractors, or moonlight. Both options kind of go into the "just buy another printer" territory, lots of working used ones out there in this price range, and it's not that much under new printer options. Quite the dilemma, to fix, or not....
How do you come up with 7-8k?? Search 32437257839 in aliexpress

DL Signs

How do you come up with 7-8k?? Search 32437257839 in aliexpress
Read closer, 4-5 grand... Not for just lines, but full ink system from cartridge to waste tank. A full set of DX4 heads, new pumps, lines, dampers, cap tops, wipers and misc. 6 heads alone would be over 3k, the rest a grand or so.

cornholio

Read closer, 4-5 grand... Not for just lines, but full ink system from cartridge to waste tank. A full set of DX4 heads, new pumps, lines, dampers, cap tops, wipers and misc. 6 heads alone would be over 3k, the rest a grand or so.
VP's only have 4 heads...
Problem is, that the mainboards of these printers fail and are no longer available from Roland.
If it's not a VPi, then you won't have IPC and this is likely to give banding, except all heads print perfectly.

DL Signs

Problem is, that the mainboards of these printers fail and are no longer available from Roland.
If it's not a VPi, then you won't have IPC and this is likely to give banding, except all heads print perfectly.
Ahhhh.... Didn't look it up to see if it was a 4 or 6 head. That would make it cheaper to fix, but if it's one with mainboard problems, and no IPC, it's hardly worth it then. My first Roland was an SC Pro-II, those were rock solid printers.

spb

✨鞄➕
What's IPC?

(edit: Intelligent Pass Control, obviously)

Last edited: