• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Warranty?????

dstees

I have a GX300. Last year about this time my main board went out. the cutter would not communicate with the computer. A couple weeks ago, it happened again. I talked to roland this morning and they said that they arnt going to cover it because they just fixed it last year. What a bunch of BS. I dont care if they fixed it last week, its under warranty, so fix it. I am VERY disappointed. What should I do?

BTW, this is the original warranty, not extended.

dstees

Ok, so I contacted Roland after this post and they let me know that my main board was good, but the USB port was bad, (changed their story). they gave me 2 options:

Option 1 - They said I could use my serial port and the unit would work just fine. They would inspect it to make sure it would work and send it back no charge.

Option 2 - I could buy the extended warranty (while its still under warranty, makes no sense) for 400+ dollars and they would fix the USB port and it would be under warranty for another year or so. (cant remember the warranty length).

I chose option 1. First off, tech support should have told me to try that before i spent 60.00 to ship the cutter to texas. But anyway, i figured option 1 would be our best option.

So, I received the cutter yesterday, 6/15, back from Splash of Color in texas. I opened the box up i sat the cutter on the stand. As i started to try to put the screws back in to mount the cutter, the holes wernt lining up, so I started looking harder at the unit. First I noticed the blade holder and blade were missing, and then i noticed all the dents, bends, mis-aligning panels, and sticky residue all over the cutter. At this point I'm starting to wonder, is this even my cutter? Check out the pics.

So I called Splash of Color and this is what they told me:

"When we received the cutter, it was damaged. We didnt make a claim because we know that UPS wouldnt cover it. (keep in mind, i insured the cutter) So we beat the dents out and tried to fix it as good as we could."

Are you kidding me? So now, here I sit, with a POS cutter. Who knows, it probably wont even cut correctly now. And who's to say that Splash of Color didnt damage the cutter. I think any person in their right mind would have at least let us know that the cutter was screwed up when they got it. But no, they didnt say anything. Why? Go figure.

Here is an email I am about to send to Roland / Splash of color.

"Being that Splash of Color chose not to notify us or UPS that the machine was damaged upon receipt, you chose to take responsibilty of the machine. To resolve the issue here are your choices:

#1. We will send the machine back, at Roland / Splash of Color expense, for Splash of Color to repair the machine back to the condition it was in when we initially shipped the machine. This includes fixing all bends, dents, and re-aligning all panels. Also, remove all dirt and residue from the exterior of the machine. We will also need a GX 300 to use in the meantime to get us by. We cant afford to be without our machine any longer. We will ship our machine to be fixed when we recieve a "loner" GX300. We would also like a 180 day warranty
On the cutter.

#2. Send us a new GX 300."

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20100616095338.jpg
    20100616095338.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20100616095350.jpg
    20100616095350.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20100616095403.jpg
    20100616095403.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20100616095425.jpg
    20100616095425.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20100616095542.jpg
    20100616095542.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20100616095552.jpg
    20100616095552.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:

veloxgraphics

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way roland is going. The more i deal with them directly, and the more i read on here, it seems as if once the sale is made, they just don't give a crud about their customers anymore.

I'm on my 3rd roland printer. When this one dies, i'll take my money elsewhere.

dwt

First I think you're getting screwed.

Second I think you should have taken photos of the unit before and during packing.

Third if you bought this from a local distributor, you should have had them pack and send it.

Fourth if you don't get anywhere with the powers that be write a letter to your states as well as theirs, attorney general and forward a copy, certified, to everyone involved. Never hurts to have a little pressure from above and wont cost you anything but time.

Fifth buy a used back up cutter for times like this.
My .02

Please keep us posted on how this works out.

dstees

Instead of sending demanding emails/bashing Roland and Splash of Color, try calling Roland directly?

:thumb:

This is a forum, right? I have talked to Roland directly. I am simply trying to get a little feedback as to what I should do in my situation.

I see you are a Roland dealer.....thanks for the advice!

SE SignSupply

This is a forum, right? I have talked to Roland directly. I am simply trying to get a little feedback as to what I should do in my situation.

I see you are a Roland dealer.....thanks for the advice!

We are a Roland dealer.

You said this was the 2nd time Roland has fixed the USB port on the machine correct?

I can tell you damage caused to ethernet/usb/serial ports caused by mishandling the cables is not covered under warranty. I've personally stepped on an ethernet cable on a XJ-640, damaging the port...not covered.

I'm not saying this was the cause, but the problem you describe is not a common one.

If you insured the plotter when you shipped it back, you can still file a damaged goods claim with UPS. If it was not insured, you can file up to $100.

rgaskins

I too have had some problems with the Roland Warranty, nothing like this though...I feel like once my printer got here I was on my own...I'm getting ready to purchase a new cutter only and I'm going to try a different brand this time...But in their defence I'm dealing with Proveer, which is alot of the problem...

petepaz

sorry to hear of the problems
we have had 3 roland printers/cutters(still have 2 of them) and any problems we have had got cleared up by the vender/dealer we purchased them from
pretty smooth operation

dstees

We are a Roland dealer.

You said this was the 2nd time Roland has fixed the USB port on the machine correct? No, not correct. The first time the main board was bad. Second time it is the USB port.

I can tell you damage caused to ethernet/usb/serial ports caused by mishandling the cables is not covered under warranty. I've personally stepped on an ethernet cable on a XJ-640, damaging the port...not covered.

I'm not saying this was the cause, but the problem you describe is not a common one.

If you insured the plotter when you shipped it back, you can still file a damaged goods claim with UPS. If it was not insured, you can file up to $100. I already contacted my rep. waiting for a call back.

This is the same line I got from Splash of color. The cutter and USB cable are not in a traffic area. And I personally dont care if its not common. Also, the first time it was fixed the main board was replaced. This time it is just the USB port. The place i sent the machine obviously doesnt take alot of pride in their work.

SE SignSupply

Again, just trying to be helpful:

The USB port is part of the main board on the GX plotters.

As far as I know, Roland has no repair for the USB port. They spec replacing the entire main board when the USB gets damaged.

I'm going to step out now, I hope you get some resolution on this issue. Let me know if I can help.

Ryan

Slamdunkpro

Ok, so I contacted Roland after this post and they let me know that my main board was good, but the USB port was bad, (changed their story). they gave me 2 options:

Option 1 - They said I could use my serial port and the unit would work just fine. They would inspect it to make sure it would work and send it back no charge.

Option 2 - I could buy the extended warranty (while its still under warranty, makes no sense) for 400+ dollars and they would fix the USB port and it would be under warranty for another year or so. (cant remember the warranty length).

Wow. seems to me it's either under warranty - fix it per the warranty agreement; or it isn't. The whole "buy another warranty and we'll live up to the first one" is crap. I'd be on the phone to the CA AG's office about warranty fraud.

So, I received the cutter yesterday, 6/15, back from Splash of Color in texas. I opened the box up i sat the cutter on the stand. As i started to try to put the screws back in to mount the cutter, the holes wernt lining up, so I started looking harder at the unit. First I noticed the blade holder and blade were missing, and then i noticed all the dents, bends, mis-aligning panels, and sticky residue all over the cutter. At this point I'm starting to wonder, is this even my cutter? Check out the pics.

So I called Splash of Color and this is what they told me:

"When we received the cutter, it was damaged. We didnt make a claim because we know that UPS wouldnt cover it. (keep in mind, i insured the cutter) So we beat the dents out and tried to fix it as good as we could."

I hope you got that on tape. Splash of Color owes you a new unit. It's not up to the recipient to make a UPS damage claim, it's up to the shipper (you). By not informing you of damage then trying to fix said damage they assumed all liability against your cutter. Did you check to see that the serial# on the unit you sent them is the same as the one you got back?

dstees

Good News! A fine young man by the name of Jesse Garcia @ Roland just gave me a call and he is sending out a replacement cutter today to use while they are fixing my cutter. Thanks Jesse! I have been a longtime Roland user and I knew that you guys would make it right. Sometimes it just takes a little more than a phone call.

Thanks again!

dstees

Did you check to see that the serial# on the unit you sent them is the same as the one you got back?
Honestly, I didnt have the number written down, but that is beside the point now. But, I'm sure the number is in the system, just havnt called to check it.

DRamm76

Garcia is a great guy. Glad you got this resolved. Just seemed out of the ordinary for them. I know this is a forum and I totally get what you're saying, but sometimes it's better to give them a call. Glad it worked out for and I'm sorry you had to even deal with that.

In regards to them going down the road of "once the sale is made the support goes to crud" that's something that I find shocking to hear. I have heard more people say that about the dealers rather than Roland themselves. I've known alot of the guys at Roland for years and anytime I need assistance OR I need them to contact an end user they always come through.

Anyway, Glad you got this resolved!