• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland XR 640 intermittent cutting

RGUC

I purchased an XR640 and began using it. Print quality was outstanding but when i went to cut with it, The cutter ran well the first 3" (of the 60"width) but stopped from 3" to 8" and then started cutting perfectly from 8" to the rest of the width. My initial thought was that there may be a kink of perhaps shorts in the cable card that carries the cut information, but in further inspection, I noticed that the cutter was going through the contour motions but simply not dropping the knife.

If that wasnt weird enough, I purchased a 2nd unit that has the same issue only in a different place. At the point, I decided that this can not be a unique problem but when getting on line and hunting I have not found anyone with a similar problem. Perhaps I'm not describing the issue well enough in my searches but I have tried many different descriptions to the problems and spent quite a bit of time looking through general cut issues with this model only to find things like "replace cutting strip" or clean and "inspect blade holder" ect. Has anyone else experienced this issue? if so I would love to know what became of it or what was needed to correct it. Thank you in advance for your time

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Odd, the same problem on both machines. Does the second printer act exactly the same, i.e., the blade not dropping, just in a different location? The first thought is the cut carriage ribbon. Relatively inexpensive and is user replaceable, if you're so inclined. What usually happens is the ribbon develops a microcrack in one of the traces. The problem will vary based on which trace has the crack. As the ribbon is flexed through the cutter movement, the crack will open and close, and the problem will show the behavior you are seeing. It is possible the cutter solenoid is starting to fail, but I don't think that's the issue, as you said it happens only in a specific area.

Where in Florida are you located?

RGUC

Odd, the same problem on both machines. Does the second printer act exactly the same, i.e., the blade not dropping, just in a different location? The first thought is the cut carriage ribbon. Relatively inexpensive and is user replaceable, if you're so inclined. What usually happens is the ribbon develops a microcrack in one of the traces. The problem will vary based on which trace has the crack. As the ribbon is flexed through the cutter movement, the crack will open and close, and the problem will show the behavior you are seeing. It is possible the cutter solenoid is starting to fail, but I don't think that's the issue, as you said it happens only in a specific area.

Where in Florida are you located?

Thank you for the response. I thought it to be the carriage cable as well and for the same reason. I have seen on many of my past roland machines just how liberally these cables are bent during assembly. The reason I thought I would ask around is because while researching, I have found no problem that resembles this one (until this evening). I found a post from 2015 titled "Title: Cutting Tapping" and when reading the post it appears to be the same problem. As for the second machine, I have not witnessed it personally like I have on the 1st. An operator brought it to my attention shortly after putting in on line. Even if it is exactly the same issue, it is not in the same place. The problem with the 1st one is from approx 3" to 8" in. (Before and after that the cutter operates fine). The second one has the problem after around 50" so for the most part we can at least cut up to 4 ft. We are located in South Daytona, Florida as of last November. Prior to that we operated from Daytona Beach

RGUC

Jim,

Thank you. I actually do not have a tech at this time and the magnitude of this problem very likely will not warrant one. I will (already have) sent your contact information to my office girl and will keep it handy. The 2nd XR60 that I purchase seems to have some deflection along with some missing jets in one of the heads. I just got rid of a VP540i and 2 SP540s which have done a lot of maintenance along with part replacements on, but the XR60s are a new animal to me and even drawing inks from the heads with a plunger to clear a jet looks to possibly be a different process. Either way there are many things I WILL NOT TOUCH on these machines so once again I will keep your contact information handy.

Thanks
Dennis

LaurisGr

100 percent cut carriage cables. I've literally replaced 100s of them on the XR

Sorry to bother. I'm experiencing the same issue on my XR640. From your experience, is that complex to replace cut carriage cable, maybe you happen to have instructions on how to do it?
thanks, Lauris