Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router / cutter for new sign shop

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by Jr gong, May 21, 2018.

1. Jr gong

Jr gong Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Port of Spain
    Hi y'all, I have a new sign business and in the future I would be looking to purchase a router that can cut:
    - pvc
    - coroplast
    - foam etc

Basically simple cut out signs.
    I've seen a shop locally using a small one and they do allota work with it, not sure if it's a cheapo Chinese machine but it does get allot usage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tags:
  2. Jason DeLuca

Jason DeLuca New Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Levittown
    If you're just going to cut out small stuff Vision makes a nice machine with a camera system that is 25" x 50" and is fairly in expensive
    For a larger higher end machine I think Zund has the best equipment on the market, but the Kongsberg table is nice as well.

3. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    If you are going to just cut shapes I would not invest in a CNC machine. Using a CNC as a glorified jig saw is like putting a 2,000 horse power funny car engine in a Volkswagon. There are very good hand operated jig saws out there and between the CNC and the software, AND the time invested in learning both, isn't worth it. Now if you plan on doing 2.5D or 3D work in HDU, now that's a different story, but to use a CNC just to cut out shapes is not a practical use of your money or time.

4. Jr gong

Jr gong Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Port of Spain
    Thanks for the reply guys really appreciate it.

5. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Can't say I agree with that. Hand jig saw isn't going to be as fast or as clean. Yea you can make it clean, but not 100 of the same sign blank all matching perfect. And not in the amount of time it will take the CNC machine to do it. We use a CNC machine all day, every day and we don't do any 2.5D or 3D work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jr gong

Jr gong Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Port of Spain
    I was thinking this. I do really clean sophisticated work most times , so this may be a issue.

7. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Can we vote for the worst advice ever?

Seriously we just ran 350 printed acp contour shaped signs, to do that by hand would be a nightmare and inefficient and expensive. Our cnc cutter zipped it out in a day vs by hand would take a week or more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CalverleyDesign

CalverleyDesign President - The Calverley Group

Dec 30, 2009
    Sherman, Texas
    I recently purchased a 4’x8’ CNC Router w/ a Penske Spindle, Vaccum Ready (but no pump), included Mach3 Software and Computer/Monitor, Material Depth Tecnology and VCarve for $25k. Simple to use, easy software to understand and you can design what you want in CorelDraw or Illustrator, save as .eps...import into VCarve and export the GCode and its pretty simple.

Trace@NorthStarSignsandGraphics.com

9. CalverleyDesign

CalverleyDesign President - The Calverley Group

Dec 30, 2009
    Sherman, Texas
    Perske Spindle - it’s a work horse!!

10. Wesley Powell

Wesley Powell Account Rep

May 29, 2018
    Lima, OH, USA
    What brand of CNC machine did you go with, if you don't mind me asking?

11. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Not to hijack the original thread, but get a vacuum for hold down.