• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

routers and switches.. can someone educate me

Drip Dry

I have an existing network using a 4 port router. I need to add 2 more computers to the network but I'm out of ports.
I was told by the store that I could use a switch. Just add it to the existing router and I'm good to go I was told.
So, after hooking it up, I can access the internet but I can't see any of
the other computers on the network.

Question is.. can I use this switch this way to see the other computers or is it really just to get to the internet.

Should I be looking for a setup problem or should a switch not be used this way ?

Thanks
Jim

GVP

It sounds more likely to be settings on the two added computers - have you checked to see that they are in the same workgroup as the rest of the computers?

In XP, go to Control Panel -> System -> Computer Name

You might also want to check the permissions.

Techman

when adding in a second group of router ports.. make sure your two devices are coonected via the correct ports. You simply cannot connect them together with just any old port. If you look on the port config you will see the obvious connections. Use those two.
CHeck your second router to see if it needs to be set to "client mode". Also on second disable dhcp..

A hub would work pefectly and be really cheap. All you do is pjug this into the group.
A switch would be better but not necessary. A switch can add more ports with almost no config.. ITs almost just like adding a hub.

The dif between a switch and a hub.
Switch = switches the band width to the machine using it. It gives top speed to the machine accessing the net.
hub = devides the bandwidth between machines. However this is only a negative if you have two machines downloading a ton of tunes at the same time. Most internet access is very momentary and a hub will not be noticed.

Sparky

Some more tips on what to look for (assuming you have a "dumb" switch, or a switch that doesn't require any setup)-
- Make sure the two machines on the same IP scheme - 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc. and not something different like 127.0.0.2.
- Check your file and print sharing settings.
- as a double check, run a cable from the switch to one of the computers on the existing network and see if you can see the other computers that you could before.

There are some other things, but those are the easy steps that can break the link.

Good luck!

TresL

You should also be able to PING the other computers as well.

from a DOS window if type ipconfig/all to view the IP addresses.

Also check any firewall settings on the PC's
You can disable the windows firewall with the following command in a DOS window: net stop sharedaccess

You don't need another router, a switch will work fine for your small network, I would stay away from hubs due to issues with half-duplex & collisions.

Drip Dry

Thanks everyone, I haven't been able to do anything about this today.
I'll be in tomorrow to try to figure it out.

Just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring you

I'll use the advise and let you know what happens

Thanks
JT

Drip Dry

UPDATE

Bad cable from the switch to the old router. But what dosn't make sense is even with the bad cable, I could get the internet, but couldn't see any of the computers.

Only other problem I have is a new dell that I'm adding to this network.
I can go out and see the other computers but it won't allow anything to be seen on itself. I have shared the folders and turned off the windows firewall. This machine has Mcaffee installed from dell. This may be some of my problem because it keeps acting funny, such as telling me to register it and when I say ok, it disapears. I would expect to have to type some info somewhere.

Stay tuned

GB2

Old Member
I just had a similar problem with a new Dell and Mcaffee. It took me about 20 tries doing the same thing as you over and over and then finally I think what happened is that I manually downloaded the latest upgrade and everything seemed to start acting normal after that.

Drip Dry

Thanks GB, I'll try it.

I haven't really spent any time trying to resolve it since I just never seem to have the time. It always seems there something more important to do.
I also have a mouse problem that I need to call them about.