Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S40600 is amazing!

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Kelcy Deeds, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Not down here mate. Everything's arse about.
    Hot is cold, ugly is beautiful and cheap is expensive.
    And at the moment hot is cold.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  2. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Sounds like perfect funnel web spider weather.

3. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    You're welcome not "Your welcome"
    As in you are welcome.

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    You can see the filter in these pics, the charcoal filter lays on the ground underneath the printer to collect the fumes, and the fan is mounted to the wall, if needed you could add some ducting off the fan and direct it out the room, but this works very well for us.

epson filter 1.jpg epson filter.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Nice! Love the DIY and it didn't cost a fortune.

6. jon vital

jon vital Member

Sep 29, 2009
    uk
    When I had a demo on the Epsons they said no ventilation was required?

7. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you've been to a demo and seen one run then you've smelled one run.
    We are used to multiple solvent / eco-solvent printers running here so after a couple days we've never noticed it again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CanuckSigns

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We run ours in a 16'x25' room with 9 foot ceilings, if we are running heavy coverage I can't spend more than about 15 minutes in the room without getting a headache, ever since I installed the air scrubber I havn't had that issue again. In our last shop the printer wasn't in it's own room just out in the open in a 2800 sq/ft shop and I could smell it but it didn't give me headaches, but clients always commented on the smell when they came in.

Our air scrubber doesn;t vent outside, so if you start noticing the smell it's a very easy solution that doesn't require putting a hole in your building.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kelcy Deeds

Kelcy Deeds Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Belize
    Here's some pictures of this printer printing 2 pass unidirectional. i tried my best to get pictures of the little bit of banding that it has. its really hard to notice unless you get in the right light. 20180911_103715.jpg 20180911_103704.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Kelcy Deeds

Kelcy Deeds Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Belize
    . 20180911_103611.jpg

11. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Great looking prints for two pass. I can only imagine how fast it is.

12. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    Gave it a shot - it's way worse. We used to just open a door. With this fusion breath fan + filter it just seems to shoot the stink all over the shop, way way worse.
    I'll have to see if I can vent outside, that might help :/

13. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    It seems like you are still comparing your new epson to an older version of the latex machines.

14. jpescobar

jpescobar New Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Tunisia
    I would like to take part to the thread seeing the plenty of opinions. I'm planning to buy my first wide printer and I'm hesitating which brand and model I will pick at the end.

After two years searching and discussing with resellers, watching many printers in actions, I've put finally 2 models and I will choose one of them.
    My first choice was the Epson SureColor SC-S40600 which is a workhorse machine, very reliable with a stunning quality. I print all sort of applications : from vinyl including stickers, perforated and backlit, papers, posters, wallcovering, vehicle wrap...

The problem is the vinyl cutter, I don't have enough money to buy a wide format cutting vinyl so I'm forced to pick a Roland GS-24 which is not productive but will allows me to cut small medias like flex, direct cut vinyls and stickers/labels printed on a 600mm vinyl roll which is not easy to find.

Or I can go for a HP Latex Print & Cut solution 335, I saw it in action in an exhibition hall and I was dazzled by the quality on a wide media delivering high quality application especially textile. This combo solution comes with the latest SAi FlexiPrint & Cut RIP software, really amazing with powerful and nice features. The vinyl cutter which is a Summa D160-R rebranded under HP Latex 64 Cutter is fast and accurate, just load the vinyl into the cutter which will read the unique barcode and procede to the cut automatically.

HP unlike Epson offers users nice services like HP Signage and WallArt suite for designing many applications, HP PrintOS (Print Production Operating System), HP Media Locator to find the medias suitable with you printer and the products you want to print, a knowledge center, an after sales service... Absolutely all the tools a user need to achieve all kind of high quality products are at his hands.

15. Emd2kick

Emd2kick Member

Jan 18, 2018
    New Jersey
    I call bs on you smelling latex printer. We have our latex running 5 hours a day minimum, and unless your are right in front taping the media to the take up, there is 0 smell. My Roland VG640 smells like death after only 5 minutes of printing....

16. ikarasu

ikarasu Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    The latex smell is from the vinyl heating, not the inks. When you use a wide variety of media you're bound to get some that smell.

For us.. 3M doesn't smell but banners seem to. Avery had a little bit of smell... But nothing compared to our solvent machines.

17. Emd2kick

Emd2kick Member

Jan 18, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thst is correct but nowhere near the stench of solvent. Ikarasu, your owner take out another mortgage, or is he sleeping on your couch and running the one in your basement?

18. ikarasu

ikarasu Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Nah, business is great. We got a a paid of 560’s at work now. Already planning on getting the flatbed and replacing our uv flatbed by next year also. Moved away from solvents completely and couldnt be happier.

19. CanuckSigns

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Another great thing about the Epson machines, they have the best take up system I've ever seen, printing a few full rolls today and the take up tracks 100% straight and true, my previous Roland machines take up's were good (except my Pro 4, that thing had a horrible take up!) but this one is absolutely perfect, no issues running jobs overnight if need be.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. jpescobar

jpescobar New Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Tunisia
    I agree with you that the new SureColor SC Series are a well built machine, the take-up system is accurate as the colors are but what about the versatility ? I mean can you print on a large substrates and laminate immediately like the HP Latex ? You need at least 6 hours for degassing and if you have alot of jobs to deliver same day it's not really productive. The ink waste is also a con in eco-solvent machines that will cost you thousand bucks per year.