• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S40600 is amazing!

Bly

Not down here mate. Everything's arse about.
Hot is cold, ugly is beautiful and cheap is expensive.
And at the moment hot is cold.

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

You can see the filter in these pics, the charcoal filter lays on the ground underneath the printer to collect the fumes, and the fan is mounted to the wall, if needed you could add some ducting off the fan and direct it out the room, but this works very well for us.

epson filter 1.jpg epson filter.jpg

jfiscus

Rap Master
When I had a demo on the Epsons they said no ventilation was required?
If you've been to a demo and seen one run then you've smelled one run.
We are used to multiple solvent / eco-solvent printers running here so after a couple days we've never noticed it again.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

CanuckSigns

When I had a demo on the Epsons they said no ventilation was required?

We run ours in a 16'x25' room with 9 foot ceilings, if we are running heavy coverage I can't spend more than about 15 minutes in the room without getting a headache, ever since I installed the air scrubber I havn't had that issue again. In our last shop the printer wasn't in it's own room just out in the open in a 2800 sq/ft shop and I could smell it but it didn't give me headaches, but clients always commented on the smell when they came in.

Our air scrubber doesn;t vent outside, so if you start noticing the smell it's a very easy solution that doesn't require putting a hole in your building.

• Agree
Reactions: a77

Kelcy Deeds

Here's some pictures of this printer printing 2 pass unidirectional. i tried my best to get pictures of the little bit of banding that it has. its really hard to notice unless you get in the right light.
20180911_103715.jpg
20180911_103704.jpg

Attachments

• 20180911_103630.jpg
    20180911_103630.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 569
  • 20180911_103611.jpg
    20180911_103611.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 551

a77

Take a look at the activated charcoal filter I posted above, it really works very well, and for a few hundred bucks, what do you have to loose? Comes in multiple sizes and CFM.

Gave it a shot - it's way worse. We used to just open a door. With this fusion breath fan + filter it just seems to shoot the stink all over the shop, way way worse.
I'll have to see if I can vent outside, that might help :/

jpescobar

I would like to take part to the thread seeing the plenty of opinions. I'm planning to buy my first wide printer and I'm hesitating which brand and model I will pick at the end.

After two years searching and discussing with resellers, watching many printers in actions, I've put finally 2 models and I will choose one of them.
My first choice was the Epson SureColor SC-S40600 which is a workhorse machine, very reliable with a stunning quality. I print all sort of applications : from vinyl including stickers, perforated and backlit, papers, posters, wallcovering, vehicle wrap...

The problem is the vinyl cutter, I don't have enough money to buy a wide format cutting vinyl so I'm forced to pick a Roland GS-24 which is not productive but will allows me to cut small medias like flex, direct cut vinyls and stickers/labels printed on a 600mm vinyl roll which is not easy to find.

Or I can go for a HP Latex Print & Cut solution 335, I saw it in action in an exhibition hall and I was dazzled by the quality on a wide media delivering high quality application especially textile. This combo solution comes with the latest SAi FlexiPrint & Cut RIP software, really amazing with powerful and nice features. The vinyl cutter which is a Summa D160-R rebranded under HP Latex 64 Cutter is fast and accurate, just load the vinyl into the cutter which will read the unique barcode and procede to the cut automatically.

HP unlike Epson offers users nice services like HP Signage and WallArt suite for designing many applications, HP PrintOS (Print Production Operating System), HP Media Locator to find the medias suitable with you printer and the products you want to print, a knowledge center, an after sales service... Absolutely all the tools a user need to achieve all kind of high quality products are at his hands.

Emd2kick

I cant say it smells that bad compared to other solvent/eco-solvent printers I've ran or even latex printers.
Our latex seemed to smell the worst of all our printers, I think it was the heat baking the vinyl/backer, but it sure smelled bad to me.
S60600 does have nice integrated filters on top of it, and we have two fans in the ceiling of our printing room moving air out of the room so it isn't bad to me.
I call bs on you smelling latex printer. We have our latex running 5 hours a day minimum, and unless your are right in front taping the media to the take up, there is 0 smell. My Roland VG640 smells like death after only 5 minutes of printing....

ikarasu

I call bs on you smelling latex printer. We have our latex running 5 hours a day minimum, and unless your are right in front taping the media to the take up, there is 0 smell. My Roland VG640 smells like death after only 5 minutes of printing....

The latex smell is from the vinyl heating, not the inks. When you use a wide variety of media you're bound to get some that smell.

For us.. 3M doesn't smell but banners seem to. Avery had a little bit of smell... But nothing compared to our solvent machines.

Emd2kick

The latex smell is from the vinyl heating, not the inks. When you use a wide variety of media you're bound to get some that smell.

For us.. 3M doesn't smell but banners seem to. Avery had a little bit of smell... But nothing compared to our solvent machines.
Thst is correct but nowhere near the stench of solvent. Ikarasu, your owner take out another mortgage, or is he sleeping on your couch and running the one in your basement?

ikarasu

Nah, business is great. We got a a paid of 560’s at work now. Already planning on getting the flatbed and replacing our uv flatbed by next year also. Moved away from solvents completely and couldnt be happier.

CanuckSigns

Another great thing about the Epson machines, they have the best take up system I've ever seen, printing a few full rolls today and the take up tracks 100% straight and true, my previous Roland machines take up's were good (except my Pro 4, that thing had a horrible take up!) but this one is absolutely perfect, no issues running jobs overnight if need be.

Attachments

• epson take up.jpg
    epson take up.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 524

jpescobar

Another great thing about the Epson machines, they have the best take up system I've ever seen, printing a few full rolls today and the take up tracks 100% straight and true, my previous Roland machines take up's were good (except my Pro 4, that thing had a horrible take up!) but this one is absolutely perfect, no issues running jobs overnight if need be.

I agree with you that the new SureColor SC Series are a well built machine, the take-up system is accurate as the colors are but what about the versatility ? I mean can you print on a large substrates and laminate immediately like the HP Latex ? You need at least 6 hours for degassing and if you have alot of jobs to deliver same day it's not really productive. The ink waste is also a con in eco-solvent machines that will cost you thousand bucks per year.