Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S80600 w/Onyx. How to print more white?

Discussion in 'Epson' started by Marshal, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I've been trying to figure out how to get my epson S80600 to put down more white under my colors. I'm printing on ij180mc-114, and I've tried everything I can think of to get it to put enough white down so the blue I'm printing on top doesn't change colors when the material is applied to a colored surface (metallic gold paint in this case).

I'm using the profiles downloaded from epson/3M, printing 720x1440 16 pass, and in the printer settings box I've got it at 32 wh - 2L (the only option), with the ink density turned up to 400%.

Is there anything else I can do to add more white underprint to block out the underlying color and keep my colors on top from shifting?

Tags:
  2. Chasez

Chasez Member

Jan 6, 2014
    canada
    You could try multi-strike on the white but I would allow for dry time on each pass. If you try to lay down too much white it will start to crack, pool, and or run.

Chaz

3. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    How can I multi strike only the white?

4. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I suppose I should have clarified that response. Multi strike in the settings on the printer hits every color that number of times, correct? How can I just have it do the white extra times so the color doesn't shift?

5. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Have you visited this video from Onyx, "Tech Tip: White and Specialty Ink Tools"?

6. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I hadn't, no. Going through those settings still doesn't give me enough white to keep the color of the part from shifting the print.

7. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    What does your basic Onyx control image look like printed on any material? At least one ONYX Quality Evaluation.pdf should be found in your Onyx folder(s.) That's a good place to start. Can you upload a photo of the result?

I'm guessing you're overlooking a basic setting, such as Spot Colors ON, etc.

8. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    It's definitely printing white. Just not as much as I need. I'm sure it's possible the printer+software combo can't put down that much white the way I need it to. I'm basically getting 2 layers of white (I think), when I need about 4. On our rolands I would have set it to print white, let it dry, and then suck it back in and print again, but I don't believe that's an option on the epson.

Attached Files:

9. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Have you visited this video from Onyx, "Application Tools: Using the ONYX Spot Layer tools for white and specialty inks"?

Your machine will lay down all the white you're looking for in a single pass. The ink should practically dry at the platen and only cure at the next heater. Your setting of 400% ink limit is telling, and incorrect.

Be sure to tackle your workflow and settings critically. You might consider trouble shooting with your dealer or Onyx.

Good luck