• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S80600 w/Onyx. How to print more white?

Tatonka

I've been trying to figure out how to get my epson S80600 to put down more white under my colors. I'm printing on ij180mc-114, and I've tried everything I can think of to get it to put enough white down so the blue I'm printing on top doesn't change colors when the material is applied to a colored surface (metallic gold paint in this case).

I'm using the profiles downloaded from epson/3M, printing 720x1440 16 pass, and in the printer settings box I've got it at 32 wh - 2L (the only option), with the ink density turned up to 400%.

Is there anything else I can do to add more white underprint to block out the underlying color and keep my colors on top from shifting?

Chasez

You could try multi-strike on the white but I would allow for dry time on each pass. If you try to lay down too much white it will start to crack, pool, and or run.

Chaz

Tatonka

I suppose I should have clarified that response. Multi strike in the settings on the printer hits every color that number of times, correct? How can I just have it do the white extra times so the color doesn't shift?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
What does your basic Onyx control image look like printed on any material? At least one ONYX Quality Evaluation.pdf should be found in your Onyx folder(s.) That's a good place to start. Can you upload a photo of the result?

I'm guessing you're overlooking a basic setting, such as Spot Colors ON, etc.

Tatonka

What does your basic Onyx control image look like printed on any material? At least one ONYX Quality Evaluation.pdf should be found in your Onyx folder(s.) That's a good place to start. Can you upload a photo of the result?

I'm guessing you're overlooking a basic setting, such as Spot Colors ON, etc.

It's definitely printing white. Just not as much as I need. I'm sure it's possible the printer+software combo can't put down that much white the way I need it to. I'm basically getting 2 layers of white (I think), when I need about 4. On our rolands I would have set it to print white, let it dry, and then suck it back in and print again, but I don't believe that's an option on the epson.

Attachments

• onyx quality check.jpg
    onyx quality check.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 710

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Have you visited this video from Onyx, "Application Tools: Using the ONYX Spot Layer tools for white and specialty inks"?

Your machine will lay down all the white you're looking for in a single pass. The ink should practically dry at the platen and only cure at the next heater. Your setting of 400% ink limit is telling, and incorrect.

Be sure to tackle your workflow and settings critically. You might consider trouble shooting with your dealer or Onyx.

Good luck

Signed Out

It's definitely printing white. Just not as much as I need. I'm sure it's possible the printer+software combo can't put down that much white the way I need it to. I'm basically getting 2 layers of white (I think), when I need about 4. On our rolands I would have set it to print white, let it dry, and then suck it back in and print again, but I don't believe that's an option on the epson.

How did you make out improving your white output? In the same boat now.

Tatonka

How did you make out improving your white output? In the same boat now.

I haven't printed a whole lot of white since then. I still never really got it to be a really bright white like I had hoped. I've mostly been using it for registration marks on dark materials, and it's worked pretty well for that.

Signed Out

I haven't printed a whole lot of white since then. I still never really got it to be a really bright white like I had hoped. I've mostly been using it for registration marks on dark materials, and it's worked pretty well for that.

How are you printing white reg. marks? Been having trouble with my summa reading reg marks printed on clear and laminated to gold leaf. Was wanting to be able to print white around the marks to block out the foil effect. Is this possible?

Tatonka

How are you printing white reg. marks? Been having trouble with my summa reading reg marks printed on clear and laminated to gold leaf. Was wanting to be able to print white around the marks to block out the foil effect. Is this possible?

I'm talking crop marks created in Illustrator using the Summa plugin. I just change that layer to the spot color for the epson.

Signed Out

Hammered gold leaf sheriffs stars with black image and text, very thin strokes for some of it. WE have always ovelaid printed clear vinyl on the gold leaf and never had a problem reading crop marks on a roland plotter. with the summa it can't read the marks this way.

Am wondering if there is a way to print white around (and probably under) the crop marks through onyx. Thinking it's having trouble pickup up the crop marks because of how the hammered gold leaf reflects.

Tatonka

What is the desired end result supposed to look like?

The ultimate goal would be to get enough white down on clear material so I can print a color and have it not change when I put it on something that's not white. Like if I'm putting a sticker on a blue truck, I want the blue of the truck to show through in places without the blue changing the color of the printed parts.

I assume the correct way would be to adjust the color based on what it's going on, so the print looks correct once installed, but I haven't had much luck with that either.

jfiscus

Rap Master
How large of decals are you talking? The white we get out of our Epson is about the same as printing onto a translucent white vinyl. It's kinda opaque but isn't a "block out" as that requires other colors and not just white, as white pigment isn't light blocking. (like block out vinyl has a gray adhesive) I'd guess that you'll be better off with something like an Edge print, but I can't see what you're after or how big you need it to be.

Tatonka

How large of decals are you talking? The white we get out of our Epson is about the same as printing onto a translucent white vinyl. It's kinda opaque but isn't a "block out" as that requires other colors and not just white, as white pigment isn't light blocking. (like block out vinyl has a gray adhesive) I'd guess that you'll be better off with something like an Edge print, but I can't see what you're after or how big you need it to be.

generally smaller than 12x12.