• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Salary misalignment

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Has anyone come across some blatant salary misalignment? Not necessarily in the sign industry but just in general. This is brought on by my son's recent raise and all the stories I here from my wife and her "crew".

My wife has a Master's degree in accounting and has been working with a Timeshare/Hotel for about 8 years. She is now the sole Timeshare person in the position. Her sister has worked as a front desk clerk at the same hotel for over 10 years and is now Front Desk Manager. My son graduated high school 2 years ago and has worked for Goodyear for nearly 2 years. No college of any sort. He now makes more then my wife. Top it off he has a friend who works TLE at Walmart and she makes more than him and better benefits. Back to my sister-in-law. There was a period of 6mos she had to fill in as General Manager right after the one they had committed suicide. She has also had to fill in at the front desk for employees who habitually can't make it . Usually on a Monday. She has also filled in as night auditor at her current rate of pay whereas night auditor typically makes $2-3 more per hour. She currently works approximately 60 hours a week and barely makes any more than my wife.The new GM, who has virtually no experience in the industry, makes twice her salary and does half the job. She gets calls from home and has to run up to take care of things. Even when police investigations come about the GM is nowhere to be found.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
She has the freedom to quit and work somewhere else. Don't get stuck in a comfortable position, go out and shop her talents and see what she can get. Go back to the original employer and ask for a raise or walk. Just because an employer pays X dollars doesn't mean shes worth X dollars;

rjssigns

Over two decades ago I worked a job across from a foundry. Starting pay was more than twice what I was making and you didn't even need a high school diploma. But it was a foundry...

rossmosh

Wages typically reflect three things:

1. Difficulty to fill position with a qualified candidate.

2. Job performance.

3. Value to the company.

Now one thing to mention, businesses often look to take advantage of employees. As much as employees are people, when you look at them from just a business perspective, they are revenue generators. If you can get away paying someone $20/hr when the market value is $35/hr, you're going to do it.

Generally speaking staying at a company long term is not a good idea unless it's a gov't gig or you're in a union. Pensions are no longer a thing. Moving from job to job every 3-5 years is going to optimize wages.

David Wright

This shouldn't be too hard to understand unless you think we should live in a credentialed society. Although for government and large corporations they mostly do.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The industry you choose to work in is usually more important than what you choose to do. Just the same as picking what customers you go after.

WildWestDesigns

Moving from job to job every 3-5 years is going to optimize wages.

One does run the risk of losing some marketability for a job, however, with switching jobs every 3 to 5 yrs. Especially the older one gets.

And depending on the job is, some of the "nicer" benefits don't kick in til after that 5 yr mark. Sometimes benefits can be better then the salary, just depends.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
She has the freedom to quit and work somewhere else...

Freedom to choose would be if you had no bills to pay, otherwise you're stuck. My wife does look every day for something else but...
Her sister, on the other hand, is too scared to go that route. She lacks the confidence and is also pushing retirement age. She actually interviewed for the GM position but the company, headquartered in south Florida, brought in "an outsider". "His" previous job? Football coach. As it is now if someone were to be hired just as front desk clerk they would start at a higher rate than her.

bannertime

Seems pretty simple to me; one place pays more than the other and that your wife's company is a terrible place to work.

brycesteiner

Freedom to choose would be if you had no bills to pay, otherwise you're stuck.

Why? Is the employer directly paying the bills? That correlation to me makes no sense. Who doesn't have bills? Many of our own choices made the bills not the employer. If that is the only job in the world for her than you would be correct but she could easily get another job and get paid. What's worse than getting paid little? Having a job that you hate. If she's ambitious she could create her own job and determine her own pay. That's what's great about America. You are not forced to work anywhere. We are not slaves (except to the government), and if you choose to go to another place of employment, you can.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Who says you have to quit before getting new work? She can shop around while working and secure a position before leaving. You really need to take some initiative and risk and put in some extra effort. Being comfortable and not taking risk will cost you and her big $$ in the long run. Stop making excuses and complaining about how an employer treats you and go find something different.

rjssigns

Who says you have to quit before getting new work? She can shop around while working and secure a position before leaving. You really need to take some initiative and risk and put in some extra effort. Being comfortable and not taking risk will cost you and her big $$ in the long run. Stop making excuses and complaining about how an employer treats you and go find something different.

On point.

I was in a somewhat similar situation, but I knew a massive layoff was coming so I gritted my teeth waited. 26 years of work gone to China with a paper notice on the bulletin board.
People looked at me like I was nuts. I was the only one smiling walking out the doors for the last time. Because my job was offshored I got over two years of college paid for and unemployment. Getting laid off was the kick in the rear I needed.

Went back to school and got an associates degree. Ended up getting hired as part time faculty at the same school.
I'm back running the business I started so many years ago. And I get to do other cool things I'm good at like weld for hire along with fabrication/repair.

I've been up to a lot more, but I don't feel like writing a book or boring anyone.

My point: To hell with the money. If you are miserable at your job the stress will kill you. You also carry that stress home with you.

Since the OP's wife has her masters she should check into teaching at a local college or tech school. Either that or bite the bullet and get her CPA.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Thanks all. I'll continue to pressure her to look elsewhere. But too much pressure and I'll be on the couch. lol

Andy D

In the past, I have had management positions with 20 plus trade experience & my wife had " fallen @ss backwards" into a job that she had no previous experience, but it paid better with better benefits... Just the way it works out in the corporate landscape sometimes.

Andy D

No offence, if your wife is being under paid at a job she hates, she might want to look into counciling...
The right type of counselor could help your wife see her self worth and move pass the anxiety of seeking change for betterment.

jimbug72

Never once, not one time in my entire life, have I left a job that I hated, or felt under appreciated or under paid have I looked back and thought, "Man, I wish I would have never left that place." I even hated a job so much (for being bother underpaid and under appreciated) that I hit the wall so hard I turned in my two weeks without having a single prospect for a new job. A partner company learned I was leaving and I had a better paying job offer with less responsibilities and better benefits and a staff who appreciated my abilities before I was out the door of the original job. Never even had to send out the first resume or fill out a single application.

I know it can be very scary, especially if you are one who is adverse to change, but remember: The only TRUE constant in life, is change...

rjssigns

Just a thought for the OP. Fulfilling work doesn't need to be in line with your degree.

I have fun teaching, but I absolutely love to weld/fab. How many degreed graphic designers do you know that can TIG weld cold side piping for a turbo? Just sayin' ;)