• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sales Rep

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I couldn't disagree more on the owner being the best salesperson. Read "The E-Myth" sometime. The reality is that while an owner needs to be able to sell, it doesn't mean he is best suited to do so. As I've said in other threads, I started in the sign business in sales. I did very well with it - however, I HATE DOING IT. Hate it. Hate cold calling, hate phone prospecting, literally the thought if doing those things makes my stomach clench up. If I had to do those activities every day at this point in my life, I'd be out of this business in 3 months.

+1000 on Reading "E-Myth"

royster13

The owner being the best person for sales or the best sales person is a different thing.....

If the owner has a good sales force it is probably best for he/she to be more involved with other aspects of the business......But if sales sucks, the owner better become the the "best" sales person like it or not....

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
The owner being the best person for sales or the best sales person is a different thing.....

If the owner has a good sales force it is probably best for he/she to be more involved with other aspects of the business......But if sales sucks, the owner better become the the "best" sales person like it or not....

Yes.

And the E-Myth is a great book. Everyone should read it twice.

I like to keep in touch with my customers the best I can. I think it gives an owner special insight into the health of a business and finding new directions/products. There is no substitute for listening to your customers directly on the 'front lines'. I understand that at some point spending half your day working directly with your customers isn't feasible, but most of us on here have small enough businesses that we don't have that problem/luxury.

If the choice is to hire a sales rep so one can be on the production side vs. hiring a production person, I have found that hiring a production person is generally easier and more effective than finding a good sales rep.

**Of course all my advice, including this, comes from my experience and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Fatboy

To all the guys that responded,thank you very much for taking the time.You guys are great mates.I am going to try a few of the suggestions and come back to you guys.Thank you very much:U Rock: again.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
As far as sales reps I do think it helps what kind of sales reps. Inbound or outbound. As far as hiring someone who already knows somewhat of the industry is important but this type of thing can be taught to the new employee in a month or two tops. Also aggressive sales reps are important no one likes a lazy sales rep. Aggressive sales reps will follow up with old clients and also make that push for additional products that the customer can by as accessories. It's always important to push for sales of multiple products and to increase your per sale amount. A good sales rep will do that and more having the ability to build relationships is extremely important because it will bring the customer back. Returning Customers usually buy more and you spend less to advertise to them.

SD&F

I have had a great deal of experience with hiring, training and maintaining a sales force.
I have tried paying draw, paying salary and finally commission only. If you are interested in my imput just send me an email. I have an amazing group.

Create

need a couple sales reps

pm me & call me I have setup compensation packages,sales tools, etcfor literally 100s of shops & have wrote what must amount to a small book on this forum on the subject (no disrespect intended but s101 search engine can leave a bit to be desired at times) pm me & we will set up a convenient time to talk. I need a lot of info from you to do this properly.
have a good day. Dan
...You still willing to give some advice on hiring a sales person? I would sure love to pick your brain.