• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandwich Board / A-Frame

Almonte

I have a customer that wants a 4'x3' a-frame, but doesn't want to spend a lot of money. Would 1/2" MDO, with a Hinge-Handle, hold up okay without framing?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
From scratch, I wouldn't make any size without a frame, unless you get a pre-made metal frame.

petepaz

but doesn't want to spend a lot of money

haven't met to many that do...haha

i agree with gino and i would think parts and labor for a sign that size won't be cheap no matter how you do it (sign boards, hinge handle, screws and chain for the sides, some sort of foot or capping for the bottom so it doesn't start chipping or getting banged up from use)

Billct2

I wouldn't do it, because I have and they don'y hold up.
You need a frame with some real hinges.
You can get a pretty big steel aframes from Grimco, it may be that big.

Si Allen

If you use MDO ... you don't need a frame!

Will not be cheap, tho!

Attachments

• Aframe.JPG
    Aframe.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 76

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Si.........

Out of curiosity..... judging by the bumper in the background, that looks to be about a 2' x 3'. Not too hard to lug around. The OP here, wants to make it 3' x 4' which most people won't be able to handle too well. I'll admit, it can be done, but the abuse the sign will take just hinging two 3' x 4's together... I think it will twist and turn and quickly be unusable, not to mention the scratching and marking up of the edges and legs will take..... unless attached to a frame of some sort will be a useless project.

dsmskyline

If it were me, I would just build a basic frame from 3/4" or 1" angle iron. That way a couple good hinges could be welded on.

Frame would be pretty sturdy and would be cheaper later down the road to change the sign insert if the customer wanted.

MikePro

plasticade frames are pretty cheap from your supplier. You can always "rent" it to your customer for next to nothing.

Pat Whatley

Buy the angle iron frame and slap panels on it.

I've made a bunch of them that size or bigger (including one 8'x12' that had to fold to be considered temporary). MDO works well but forget the hinge handle. I'd use a piano hinge all the way across the top edges.

By the way...."CUSTOMER WANTS IT CHEAP" almost always translates into "THIS IS GONNA BE A PAIN IN THE ASS AND I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY MONEY."

Almonte

Buy the angle iron frame and slap panels on it.

I've made a bunch of them that size or bigger (including one 8'x12' that had to fold to be considered temporary). MDO works well but forget the hinge handle. I'd use a piano hinge all the way across the top edges.

By the way...."CUSTOMER WANTS IT CHEAP" almost always translates into "THIS IS GONNA BE A PAIN IN THE ASS AND I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY MONEY."

I checked out the angle iron frame from Grimco. I would have used it, but it ships via motor freight only, which is $120 from Denver to Northern California.

I guess I'll just give her the price for framed mdo panels. If she doesn't like it, she can buy the smaller signicade option.