Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving Versworks files HELP

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by rydods, Jun 7, 2013.

1. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hi. I'm trying to save a versaworks file on the server from 1 computer and open it in another computer with versaworks. I have the printer (1 printer only) setup on the network so all computers can communicate, they all have the same version of versaworks, same profiles, same settings. I can re-open the versaworks file on the same computer I saved it on but not any of the others. WHY? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Tags:
  2. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    just trying to open that .rvw file and I'm making sure that the original file is on the server as well. I even took both files off the server and onto the computer I was trying to open it with. For some reason, no matter what. I can only open the .rvw file from the computer it was saved from.

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I believe if the path is different, you cant (eg comp 1 is mapped to server at g:/ and comp 2 has it mapped to Y:/ for instance)?

I could be totally wrong, as I dont use the software

4. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    All of my files are shared on one server. I can open any other file on any computer at any time.

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yes but its the paths to the server that might be different per computer

6. kanini

kanini Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Try and save BOTH the source file and the VW file from VW on the server, e.g. when you open the save job dialogue you can choose to save only the .rvw file or .rvw file AND the source file. There's a dropdown box under the file name field if I remember correctly...

7. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    its the path, I am very careful to have the server on all the computers as "H" drive with the same naming conventions. that way all the links work. Remember the versaworks file is not the date, just the settings and the path to the elements.
    This is the same for all programs that call on other files (illustrator, indesign etc.).

Of course if you save the source files (source+ .rvw) with the versaworks or one huge .prt file, you will need a rather large server.

8. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I save everything to the "G" Drive which is the external hard drive on the server so I'm not sure what the issue is or why the path is not correct.