• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sealing vinal letters on canvas awning

dejoh

Hi all. Been awhile since I've visited. Still in the letter presentation business. Has anyone ever used Superfrog Frog juice to seal letters on a canvas with positive results?
I've added heat and rivet brushed the letters down, but don't feel comfortable with the hold.
Thanks for the help.

Here's what I've been up to.
http://www.johnstonsigns.blogspot.com/

Happy lettering all
Denny

TimToad

Did you use the Frogjuice as a preapplication sealant to the canvas itself using a mask to only seal the areas where the letters went and then lay the vinyl on top of it?

Craig Sjoquist

Vinyl here in Florida does not stick to canvas, it will for awhile but slowly starts to lift.

I have seen successful attempts last good while, many longer then the business.

Paint is the best option, I also understand there is a vinyl option that works well, but if you are not doing alot of canvas awnings it is costing not earning. back to paint

dejoh

Thanks all for the help and advice. Seems the trade is going in full circle. Hand lettered many awnings in New Orleans in the early 70's. To some out there, that was the only way to do them.
I remember up on a ladder, one hand holding a cup of paint, the other my brush. Almost all the jobs were awnings on location.:banghead:

visual800

we would cut a mask and use latext to letter or is vinyl to be used find an awning company using the sunbrella graphics sytstem

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Today's canvas awnings are mostly treated with every imaginable resistant to everything 'goop'. Make sure paint will even hold or dry. We usually pre-paint the area the color of the background. Once that dries, we paint over top with 2 coats. Usually use latex paints on awnings these days. Should last about 10 years, unless birds nest nearby.

Sign Works

It has been my personal experience that there is no situation so God awful terrible that Frogjuice won't make it even worse. The only place that stuff belongs is in the dumpster, thanks for the super crap product Butch.

Techman

No one puts vinyl on canvas awnings.
An awning uses a heat set product that sets with a heat press.
No need to go through all those gyrations and concerns with using vinyl.