• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Secondary backup drive in case of hard drive failure

MikePro

cloud-based data storage is garbage for large files. bash me if you will, but $.03-0.09/GB/month sounds cheap til it adds up to $300/tb/year. I'd rather buy some gear of my own and keep everything in-house.

our network drive is a NAS Raid 1, with an additional copy backed-up manually to a seperate HD every month and placed in a fireproof safe.

I have a friend who's external hard drive quit yesterday, Lost all his personal photos, videos as well as a year of artwork.

have you made efforts towards recovery yet?
*if the drive still works, but the files are not showing then there are some DIY steps with some freeware out there available to scan/restore. saved my *** not too long ago.
*if the drive doesn't spin/power-up at all, there are services available to mail your damaged HD to for recovery.

Techman

The negative is that it does not sound like a reliable way to back up an entire hard drive and be able to restore properly.

We are not discussing cloning a drive are we?
No one should back up an entire hard drive. The only thing that should be backup is data.
Restoring and entire drive from a cloud will take days if not a week or two.

Every one should have the basic set up cloned. Every one. That is so easy it the real question is Why not.
Restoring a basic setup from a clone will take just minutes..

Every one should have important data back up locally. Every one.
Restoring data from a back will take a while but a proper backup will allow one to select a file for immediate access.
Working files in a cloud are fine for day to day

But ,, No one should be storing their main backup in a cloud no matter how cheap.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
We are not discussing cloning a drive are we?
No one should back up an entire hard drive. The only thing that should be backup is data.
Restoring and entire drive from a cloud will take days if not a week or two.

Every one should have the basic set up cloned. Every one. That is so easy it the real question is Why not.
Restoring a basic setup from a clone will take just minutes..

Every one should have important data back up locally. Every one.
Restoring data from a back will take a while but a proper backup will allow one to select a file for immediate access.
Working files in a cloud are fine for day to day

But ,, No one should be storing their main backup in a cloud no matter how cheap.

I thought we were. The original post was talking about a backup drive which is typically set up to backup/clone the entire drive to allow for a easy reinstall.

But I too am looking into a cloud based backup of my drive for redundancy. My only concern is fire/flood or some other disaster that wipes out all of my onsite backups

I have a backup of just the data on one drive and the entire drive is cloned on another, but both are on site

Desert_Signs

We run all our day to day work through dropbox for business. All files are saved there. I run a nightly backup from the dropbox "cloud" to a NAS in house.

This works for us, because our salespeople carry ipads everywhere and have access to ALL the files on the dropbox where ever they are. We don't carry paper proofs. Just show them on the ipad and email them the proof if they want a hard copy.

Even if a salesperson went rogue and deleted everything on the dropbox, the most they could wipe would be a days work. And if the cloud is down, all our files are still accessible, except for anything worked on that day.

I also backup a hardcopy that I keep at home once a month.

It was really inexpensive to set up and pretty much covers us for anything eventuality.

CanuckSigns

our network drive is a NAS Raid 1, with an additional copy backed-up manually to a seperate HD every month and placed in a fireproof safe.

So if you had a fire, flood etc at your shop, you could potentially loose 1 month of data? that is too much of a risk for me.

MikePro

So if you had a fire, flood etc at your shop, you could potentially loose 1 month of data? that is too much of a risk for me.

if there was a fire big enough to take out our network room, we've got bigger problems than losing a few production files.
we would, however, still have our core archive to reproduce/create everything we've accumulated over the past 20+ yrs....once we have built a new shop.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Extreme here.....Three 12 drive Xyratex SAN shelves. Two populated with 400GB 15k RPM drives in the network closet for primary data storage (3 RAID 10 arrays with hot spares), the third shelf is in the other building connected via 6Gb fiber and is populated with 1tb 7200 RPM SAS nearline drives (2 hot spares) and acts soley as the backup storage which gets incremental updates and workstation snapshots nightly. Then both ends have big industrial Eaton battery backups. Can never be sure.... I dig overkill. :smile:

JMPrinting

I have 2 external drives. I keep one at home and one at my office. The one at my office I back up once a week, the one at home every 2-4 weeks depending on volume. Once every 3-4 months I back up on DVD or blue ray, one copy in my bank safe deposit and one in my personal safe.