Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

security dongle question

Discussion in 'Signlab' started by mekazilla, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mekazilla

mekazilla Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Hi, new here! I just bought some used decaling equipment from a friend. I've got everything I need, computer, plotter, supplies, software(signlab 7)
    BUT the dongle was lost when he had moved/stored the equipment.
    I have all his original receipts for the software so I called the store it came from and they said it should be no problem they'd call signlab and call me back.
    I hear back and he says signlab wants $1250 for a new dongle.
    Is that normal?
    Isn't that a considerable risky program to buy if you happen to lose an "integral" part of the software.

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    $1250 sounds a bit over the top. The usual cost from competitive software providers is in the range of $300 to $500 if you are a registered owner. Perhaps the problem lies in that particular issue and, if the seller is a registered owner, he might be able to get a better price.

It may also be that part of the $1250 is for transferring your friend's registration to you. I would certainly ask why the price is so high and whether it covers anything besides the dongle. If the registration is also being transferred to you ... which often involves a fee, it has a value in terms of support and upgrades you may want now or in the future.

3. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome !

Good Luck with your Software Issue . . . !

4. Samm

Samm Very Active Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Welcome! I'm with Fred on that one!

Sam

5. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    as far as I ever knew... the dongle is like the whole deal, right there...
    ...with it, you can beg, borrow or download replacement discs... or even get them from the manufacturer for next to nothing...

...but if you don't have the dongle, someone else might have it... now they can get new copies of everything for next to nothing...

...and basically, now you pretty much have next to nothing.

If your "friend" is really your friend... he needs to realize he didn't sell you software...

...he sold you "everything you need, computer, plotter, supplies"...EXCEPT software... because for all practical purposes, all usefullness of the software was "lost when he had moved/stored the equipment"

although... while one may simply consider something
    "lost" when they don't know the full value of it... ....at a value of $1250

... maybe there's still some looking worth doing, back where he moved/stored it!

6. mekazilla

mekazilla Member

Jan 12, 2008
    good points, I guess if he can't get a new dongle I'll have to get new software. See me in the noob forum asking for the next best program.

7. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Stick with signlab. 1250 is cheap compared to buying a new setup. Have them throw in a training disk to get you going. You need to have your friend adjust his price for the missing software. Deal with signlab(cadlink) direct, not through a reseller if you can.

8. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    The $1k+ price may include an upgrade to the current version of the software.

Checkers

9. hilltop

hilltop Member

Dec 28, 2007
    A few years ago we had our cpu stolen and the the dongle was attached. Cadlink would not just sell me the dongle (I am registered) The Insurance co. thought i was trying to rip them off. The adjuster called Cadlink and said "well what if my dog eats the dongle" and the person from Cadlink said "how much do you love your dog"... So the $1200+ will be for an upgrade too....Good Luck

Hey... welcome from :Canada 2: eh !

10. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    Welcome, and signlab is a good program good luck

11. mekazilla

mekazilla Member

Jan 12, 2008
    thanks for the tips, the cost did include the new registration and upgrade to 8. Seemed like a better deal than new so we went that route and we'll have our own dongle to guard.

12. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    I would jump on that for 1250.00
    when a friend of mine lost a key to flexi they would replace it said he had to buy a whole new program!! 3500.00 //chopper

13. dolce05

dolce05 Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Long Island New York
    that deal is great especially if you upgraded to 8. Last year we went from 5.?? to 7.1 and paid $700.00. So now you have a higher level than us for about $500.00 more and we owned the software from day 1. Take a look at the 8 version new out of the box and you'll feel good.

Best of luck!

14. cfbeagle

cfbeagle Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I will open a whole new can of rattle snakes!!:Oops:

I would chuck Signlab and go buy a copy of Corel X4...

1/3 the money and twice the program imho.

// hiding in the corner with my hardhat on.:biggrin:

15. mekazilla

mekazilla Member

Jan 12, 2008
    nope they sold us 7 they day before 8 came out of course. whatever, it works.

16. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Coerl x4 and cocut pro. NEver again have to purchase an upgrade and never need tech support.
    Simple.