• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

security dongle question

mekazilla

Hi, new here! I just bought some used decaling equipment from a friend. I've got everything I need, computer, plotter, supplies, software(signlab 7)
BUT the dongle was lost when he had moved/stored the equipment.
I have all his original receipts for the software so I called the store it came from and they said it should be no problem they'd call signlab and call me back.
I hear back and he says signlab wants $1250 for a new dongle.
Is that normal?
Isn't that a considerable risky program to buy if you happen to lose an "integral" part of the software.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
$1250 sounds a bit over the top. The usual cost from competitive software providers is in the range of $300 to $500 if you are a registered owner. Perhaps the problem lies in that particular issue and, if the seller is a registered owner, he might be able to get a better price.

It may also be that part of the $1250 is for transferring your friend's registration to you. I would certainly ask why the price is so high and whether it covers anything besides the dongle. If the registration is also being transferred to you ... which often involves a fee, it has a value in terms of support and upgrades you may want now or in the future.

iSign

as far as I ever knew... the dongle is like the whole deal, right there...
...with it, you can beg, borrow or download replacement discs... or even get them from the manufacturer for next to nothing...

...but if you don't have the dongle, someone else might have it... now they can get new copies of everything for next to nothing...

...and basically, now you pretty much have next to nothing.

If your "friend" is really your friend... he needs to realize he didn't sell you software...

...he sold you "everything you need, computer, plotter, supplies"...EXCEPT software... because for all practical purposes, all usefullness of the software was "lost when he had moved/stored the equipment"

although... while one may simply consider something
"lost" when they don't know the full value of it... ....at a value of $1250

... maybe there's still some looking worth doing, back where he moved/stored it!

mekazilla

good points, I guess if he can't get a new dongle I'll have to get new software. See me in the noob forum asking for the next best program.

d fleming

Stick with signlab. 1250 is cheap compared to buying a new setup. Have them throw in a training disk to get you going. You need to have your friend adjust his price for the missing software. Deal with signlab(cadlink) direct, not through a reseller if you can.

hilltop

A few years ago we had our cpu stolen and the the dongle was attached. Cadlink would not just sell me the dongle (I am registered) The Insurance co. thought i was trying to rip them off. The adjuster called Cadlink and said "well what if my dog eats the dongle" and the person from Cadlink said "how much do you love your dog"... So the $1200+ will be for an upgrade too....Good Luck

Hey... welcome from :Canada 2: eh !

mekazilla

thanks for the tips, the cost did include the new registration and upgrade to 8. Seemed like a better deal than new so we went that route and we'll have our own dongle to guard.

chopper

I would jump on that for 1250.00
when a friend of mine lost a key to flexi they would replace it said he had to buy a whole new program!! 3500.00 //chopper

dolce05

that deal is great especially if you upgraded to 8. Last year we went from 5.?? to 7.1 and paid $700.00. So now you have a higher level than us for about $500.00 more and we owned the software from day 1. Take a look at the 8 version new out of the box and you'll feel good.

Best of luck!

cfbeagle

I will open a whole new can of rattle snakes!!:Oops:

I would chuck Signlab and go buy a copy of Corel X4...

1/3 the money and twice the program imho.

// hiding in the corner with my hardhat on.:biggrin:

Techman

Coerl x4 and cocut pro. NEver again have to purchase an upgrade and never need tech support.
Simple.