• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Security labels for portable Radios

LMSigns24

Hi Everyone,
My customer needs labels he can put on his EMS Portable Radios that people will have a hard time getting off. He needs them for security purposes. Is there a material out there that once it's on, it is almost impossible to get off?

gabagoo

There is a secutiry vinyl that when peeled breaks into small pieces but even that can be dealt with, I don't think there really is anything to stop something from being peeled off and if there was you could just wipe laquer thinner or vinyl thinner across it removing any graphic information that was printed be it by screening solvent or thermal. I think thats when companies get a metal plate stamped / printed with info and riveted on to the product

Marlene

Most of the lables are made so that they fall apart or say void as the reason they are security labels is to keep people from re-using them. I'd go with the plates or engraved into the unit.

LMSigns24

There is a secutiry vinyl that when peeled breaks into small pieces but even that can be dealt with, I don't think there really is anything to stop something from being peeled off and if there was you could just wipe laquer thinner or vinyl thinner across it removing any graphic information that was printed be it by screening solvent or thermal. I think thats when companies get a metal plate stamped / printed with info and riveted on to the product

Would you happen to know the brand of vinyl that breaks into small pieces? That would be an option for them.

Marlene

Gerber's is the tamper evident type and is called security label stock. The fall apart stuff is called destructible decals and Gill sells the decals but not sure who sells the actual decal material.

PMG

Like Rick said you can print on reflective and then cut z lines on the sticker,kinda like what you would see for a state license plate tag.

Bogie

Yeah, but it'll come off. Sounds like they don't want people taking the gizmos home with them, and then hocking them...

I'd put something nice and thin down, and then dome it with a clear epoxy, out 1/4-3/8" from the label.

petepaz

any labels can be removed if they really want to get it off but there are materials for security purposes
either destructible vinyl which breaks apart when peeled and very dificult to remove it all or the void material which leaves the void on the item when the label is removed
been making labels for 18 years if someone wants it off it can come off just depends on how much work they want to put into it (no worse than removing reflective vinyl from a vehicle

sailormike

Most fire department radios and other radios that i have delt with have been branded with a branding iron on both the batery and radio in several places.

AlexT

As the other guy said above. ANY label can be removed. I have even removed license plate tags with ease (legally), using a heat gun and some patience. The best option for plastics is heat stamping. Good luck removing that without a grinding wheel.

digitalwoodshop

I have seen a small tip soldering iron used to print on fire Radios and batteries.

Wood Working catalogs have the soldering iron branding irons made to mark wood.

You could even get some Heat Transfer Foil and manually melt in some bright heat foil with the branding iron.

AL