• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

seeking opinions on building a work table

nolanola

Hello.
How do you achieve the perfectly flat surface?
We have a frame made of 2x4s, 3/4" MDO on the top and a rhino mat.
There are spots where you still can push a piece of paper between a ruler and the table top.

Thank you.

Hello.
How do you achieve the perfectly flat surface?
We have a frame made of 2x4s, 3/4" MDO on the top and a rhino mat.
There are spots where you still can push a piece of paper between a ruler and the table top.

Thank you.

Ours is built that exact same way and it is slightly unflat as well, however it works for what we need it for and we have a RollsRoller table for anything that we need a perfectly flat surface for. If you want a perfectly flat surface, I'd suggest maybe a sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" glass on top of your existing table, but that is gonna be costly. You might want to consider a application/lamination table like the RollsRoller. It's a solid investment.

2B

you need to run the wood through a Planer and a Jointer to ensure they are as true as possible

also make sure you are using flat MDO / Plywood, or as flat as you can get
Even MDO has warping in it

To get truest flat surface possible, we made the wood frame and then took a solid of sheet of aluminum, .125 lay that on top of the wood and we use PVC 12mm for the cutting surface