• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SEH Print server

rosebud

I think my SEH print server may be bad. Can't determine exactly though so I am trying to figure out how to set up my Mutoh with a Parallel to USB cord instead of using the SEH box. I tried doing this but the printer isn't recognized in Production Manager. In set up properties I unclicked TCP/IP and chose USB001 and USB002 and it wasn't recognized. If I can hook the printer up this way and it works then I can diagnose for sure it's the SEH box. Can anyone tell me how to use this other cord? Do I have to install something or is it just plug and play. It is the cord from my vinyl cutter so I figured it could work the same way on my printer.

rosebud

I am able to get one but it's going to take atleast two weeks to get one from the dealer because they are suppose to replace it if it's bad. But I wanted to get this worked out quicker as I have jobs to do and my printer is not working currently. PLUS I am not exactly sure that is what's wrong. SO I am trying to diagnose myself and quickly before customers start beating down my door. lol
I have eliminated everything else so if it's not the server then it's something internally in the printer. YIKES and I am out of warranty.

Nobody uses a parallel cord to usb on their mutoh??

Has anybody had a problem with stalling in the middle of their printing and it NOT being voltage or something on the computer stalling it?

I just cannot figure this out. I cannot print one full job without it stalling...It's persistant and will not go away. I just want to print again!!!

Bradster941

Has anybody had a problem with stalling in the middle of their printing and it NOT being voltage or something on the computer stalling it?

I just cannot figure this out. I cannot print one full job without it stalling...It's persistant and will not go away. I just want to print again!!!

Are you saying you checked the voltage to the mother board?

There was a bulletin about low voltage causing this.

rosebud

Yes, I checked the voltage and it was at 5.29. So I lowered it down and it was still stalling. I called my tech and they told me to keep playing with the voltage setting until my test prints did not stall. Well, kept stalling each time with each voltage change. So it's not the voltage that is causing the problem. I was then told to reset the IP address on the SEH print server. Did that..still stalled. So I am at a loss at this point. I am now looking into maybe something in the printer itself Or it's the print server that is bad. I've been dealing with this problem for acouple months but it's gotten worse this past couple of weeks. I can only print once then it stalls. A day job has taken two weeks. It's horrible. And of course since I am out of warranty nobody is willing to help unless I call a tech out and found that is going to cost a minimum of $750 plus parts if necessary but not sure if they will even find out what is wrong. Talked directly to mutoh and they don't even know what is wrong with it. I guess time for it to go to the junk yard!

Compilla

. Talked directly to mutoh and they don't even know what is wrong with it. I guess time for it to go to the junk yard!

Time to get a ValueJet Printer. ( JK )

I've had good luck with the D-Link Print server:
D-Link DP-301P+ 10100 Parallel Port Ethernet Print Server

Are you running the printer into a dedicated circuit ?

randya

Yes, I checked the voltage and it was at 5.29. So I lowered it down and it was still stalling. I called my tech and they told me to keep playing with the voltage setting until my test prints did not stall. Well, kept stalling each time with each voltage change. So it's not the voltage that is causing the problem. I was then told to reset the IP address on the SEH print server. Did that..still stalled. So I am at a loss at this point. I am now looking into maybe something in the printer itself Or it's the print server that is bad. I've been dealing with this problem for acouple months but it's gotten worse this past couple of weeks. I can only print once then it stalls. A day job has taken two weeks. It's horrible. And of course since I am out of warranty nobody is willing to help unless I call a tech out and found that is going to cost a minimum of $750 plus parts if necessary but not sure if they will even find out what is wrong. Talked directly to mutoh and they don't even know what is wrong with it. I guess time for it to go to the junk yard!

Are you using a good quality CAT cable, I would recommend at least a CAT-5 e.

Or maybe,
http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/39/

rosebud

Yes, it is on a dedicated circuit.

I bought a new crossover cable and it's a cat5

The IP address I am set up on is
I've been on that one for years but just reassigned the IP address to a new one per the advice of a tech. Didn't help.

I am trying a new print server today.
But one thing did come to me today. The power cord for the printer has a "fork" in it and goes into the take up reel. I've been having problems with the take up reel not working. SO I am thinking maybe that power is interfering with the power to the printer. So I unconnected the power to the take up reel and testing that.
If not, I am setting up the new printer server and hoping for the best.

rosebud

OK...tried EVERYTHING with no luck.

New cable, printer server, computer..I've tried changing the voltage, reassigning IP address even tried a new power cord. I have cleaned the encoder strip and made sure all data cables were not cracked or ripped/broken. Nothing is helping! I cannot even print an inch without it stalling and I have tons of jobs to finish.

HELP!!

rosebud

When this whole fiasco started it was at 5.25. At that point it was able to print but would stall after about 2 to 3 jobs. Then after finding some info about the voltage problem on mutoh falcon's I changed it to 5.15. That didn't really do anything it was still the same and stalling. After talking to a tech at signwarehouse he said to play around with the voltage in increments of five until it fixed it. I went up as high as 5.3 then back down to 5.15. Nothing worked. The past couple of days it was back at 5.25 and just last night I brought it back to 5.15. For the past couple of days I cannot even get it to print acouple inches and it stalls.

In 2006 I had this same exact problem and since it was still under warranty a tech from Calgraph came out and fixed the voltage and from what I was told replaced the main board. Ever since then it has always stalled but not to the extent it is today. It was "livable" because it would stall only occasionally. It was ok though because I'd restart everything then I was good to go for acouple a week or so until it stalled again. It has progressively gotten worse over the past year but EVEN worse the past month. Now I cannot get through a day with printing one image.

To me, when I look at the board..it doesn't look like the main board was replaced. I got the service bulletin from Mutoh on the voltage problem and it states "Clock circuitry modifications have been made on the mainboard. The revision of the mainboard is changed from F to G.
In case of establishing this particular problem, order a new mainboard revision G, send back the old board (only revision F + service report) for credit."
but mine is showing "F"DE-34719 per the sticker on the main board.
Because the service bulletin states this:

"From out the field, we established some isolated problems with the mainboard
‘revision F’ (DE-34719) of the Rockhopper I, Rockhopper 38 and Falcon I."

Does this mean from reading the bulletin that the new board should be a different number then the DE-34719? If so the board was not replaced. My sticker shows the old number. Mutoh insists the board was replaced but if it was this means the board is still bad. This has to be what is wrong. Nothing else has worked. Any mutoh techs in here??? Come on people step up to this problem..atleast they've acknowledged the intial flaw with the board. Are they gonna acknowledge the new one has a problem, too??

rosebud

Actually Mutoh sent me to signwarehouse tech support and they have not been much of a help and cannot figure out the problem. Just today Mutoh agreed to work with me and help out only after talking with a manager. But the problem still hasn't been pinpointed yet and getting answers to my problems has not been an easy task.

randya

I assume that you bought the printer from SignWareHouse, so they would be covering your warranty service, if your machine is still under warranty, or if they have been working with you on previous issues.

And no, it is not always easy to pinpoint a problem.

And I would hope that you always get a correct answer.
Answers are based on best available information and given by human beings though.

It is against policy for Mutoh employees to send you a TIB, as these are for service and service providers. Without a full history and understanding these can be misinterpreted.
Care to share with me who at Mutoh sent you the TIB?

I assure you that Mutoh will take great care to insure that warranty issues are taken care of properly.

How old is your printer?
And what kind of warranty are you under?

MacDaddy

I seriously doubt you have a defective Mainboard, I say this after reading all the above. Me thinks you have been told where to look for the problem and may need to look a little closer, I think you missed it. JMO

Compilla

I seriously doubt you have a defective Mainboard, I say this after reading all the above. Me thinks you have been told where to look for the problem and may need to look a little closer, I think you missed it. JMO

Ditto

I got mine set to 5.35V

MacDaddy

Yup, Compilla is correct.... These Mainboards almost never "just die" like this, even though alot of folks replace them without ever actually repairing/adjusting the problem... You have been given the tools and information needed if I understand everything above, the only thing left for you to do is fix it...