Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-taught or tutored in PhotoShop?

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by threeputt, Nov 21, 2006.

1. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Was wondering how many designers here have had instruction in PhotoShop? I'm learning it by self-teaching method and it's a slow go.

Old dog, new tricks thing. Can do the basics, apply bevels/effects to letters, play with photos and stuff, but this is a very, very complex program, isn't it?

Your thoughts? (advice)

Tags:
  2. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

I learned a lot by my self however once I took my first class a whole new world opened up to me!

I took this guys class ----. http://www.bertmonroy.com/index.htm for two years at MAC world in SF, CA Best money I ever spent!

3. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    get all the psd tutorial books u can find.

the one i liked the best because it didnt skip any steps is
    Peachpit.Press The Photoshop Channels Book
    really nice..

4. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    96-98 I took Commercial Art in college. Some was taught in college but more so a lot was self taught on my own.

I agree with Derf however, Burt Monroy is an incredible person with Photoshop. He use to be on a show called The Screen Savers on TechTV. Now its some G4 channel crap that has a lot to do with everything but tech...

5. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    All self-taught, and I'm barely eating pureed peas...if ya know what I mean! I'd like to get some formal training to try and shorten the learning curve here.

6. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    90% self taught....
    Big thumbs UP to TechTV, down to G4.....

7. williamson design

williamson design Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Learned the basics in a trade school back in 1992, the rest was on my own

8. High Octane

High Octane Active Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Fenton, Michigan
    Photoshop was a mandatory class when I was in the graphic design program in college.

9. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    What are some good books to buy in relation to photoshop and illustrator?

10. gROUND cHUCK

gROUND cHUCK Member

Jun 10, 2005
    I was tought how to use photoshop with the very first version. They didn't even have it for Windows when I started. Only the Mac version was available, but I've been tutoring myself on all the other versions ever sense.

You don't really need to look through books, the internet will provide all the info you need. If it wasn't for the internet I'd be lost by now. With all the new gigets and gadgets they've added over the years. Check this site out: http://www.planetphotoshop.com/tutorials.html or just Google Photoshop tutorials.

11. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    If you use P2P you can search for photoshop Tutorials and pull tons of pdf, doc files etc.

Use google and do a search for Photoshop Tips Tricks etc.

12. gROUND cHUCK

gROUND cHUCK Member

Jun 10, 2005
    oh, also if you like visual training check out www.lynda.com they have great video tutorials.

13. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

[​IMG]

14. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    good links you guys!

I took a night class for about 9 sessions of 2 hours. It was a huge help.

I'd say 80-90% of what I know about photoshop is self taught, but I learned it way faster because of the class I took at an early stage in my years of photoshop use.

Has anyone taken a seminar from Scott Kelby?

Tha National Assoc of Photoshop Professionals sent me a link about a seminar in Honolulu. My flight would more then double the $99 price tag, but I am tempted anyway.

15. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Not only do you need to work with it 8 hours a day....getting the book "Photoshop Bible" is a great reference I'll recommend.

16. Holeshotrob

Holeshotrob Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Snohomish, WA
    Hey Threeputt... head on over to L.C.C. and try to get a class. I took a class here at Everett CC and have been learniong on my own since. You can buy the Photoshop WOW book and the Photoshop tutorial books at the college also. They help immeasurably!

17. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Learning on my own only got me so far. Once i went through Adobe's Classroom in a Book, i got verry efficient using the program. After learning the book, i always read more and more at different websites and learn new stuff all the time.

I'd say i am advanced in photoshop now, but the learning never stops with this program!!!

18. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

I have been to a seminar by Scott Kelby, Great Help! He was at MAC world a few years back! But I still like Burt Monroy the best! That dude is awsome!

19. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    The books I have bought that were worth a damn to me have been;

Photoshop for Dummies
    Hacking Photoshop
    Adobe CS2 All in One Desk Reference for dummies
    Photoshop Channels book.
    Adobe Photoshop Studio Techniques.

There are some great tutorials all over the internet.

I've always been a fan of the "Dummies" books.

20. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    I totaly disagree. A good book is perfect for hands on training. You don't have to pause or rewind some dvd tutor. All you have to do is not turn the page. Then you do not need to worry about paying more subscription charges. Yoru library will have what you need right on the shelf.
    Online internet training is a real pain switching back and forth betweeen screens trying to do an online tutor. Then if you miss a step because it went to fast you have to pause and rewind and fluff around trying to get that step.

Also, While lynda.com may be a place for tutorials. They are not that good for anyone beyond beginner levels. A Lynda tutorial has GAPS that leaves you wondering where the hell they got that last step.

Good books are
    Anything by Robin Williams..
    or When pancakes go bad.
    or Photoshop finishing touches.