• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Separating Images

mrobbins

I have a image that I am uploading into inkscape. It is my works logo. My boss wants it to be exact with a few exceptions. I am trying to break it apart (work with just the words/ then just the flags/ then the auto parts warehouse). But I try clicking ungroup with no luck and a few other attempts. If anyone could tell me how to seperate everything it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• WBcolorSlogan.jpg
    WBcolorSlogan.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 107

mrobbins

Actually I am trying to make it exactly like this without "the warehouse that service built" at the bottom but the enitre image of this file doesnt vectorize clean.

Attachments

• whitebros.gif
    whitebros.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 87

Malkin

You should be using Illustrator or Corel at the least. The money that your boss saved by not hiring a graphic designer should cover the cost to at least get you proper tools.

Not many folks here use Inkscape.

ova

Why not just re-create it? It's just text, a rectangle, and some squares to make the flag.

Dave

Fatboy

You should be using Illustrator or Corel at the least. The money that your boss saved by not hiring a graphic designer should cover the cost to at least get you proper tools.

Not many folks here use Inkscape.

lol:ROFLMAO:

RebeckaR

Is your image a vector or is it a raster image?

If it's a vector, try break apart, or the equivalent command that inkscape uses for breaking apart compound elements.

If it's not a vector image, you can't break it apart and it's time to build from scratch.

tcorn1965

I have a image that I am uploading into inkscape. It is my works logo. My boss wants it to be exact with a few exceptions. I am trying to break it apart (work with just the words/ then just the flags/ then the auto parts warehouse). But I try clicking ungroup with no luck and a few other attempts. If anyone could tell me how to seperate everything it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome fro Iowa!

Terry

Recreate it and be done in 10 minutes. What the heck is Inkscape I never heard of it before.

Inkscape is an open source program similar to The Gimp, Open Office, or Linux OS. In other words, it's free. Although some people equate free software with crappy software, this is not neccessarily the case. I use Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw for 98% of what I do, but for simply converting raster to vector there is no program with a better trace feature than Inkscape, in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with open source software and using it doesn't make you a hack. It's just another tool in your arsenal to get the job done quickly and precisely. And although you won't necessarily get the support for Inkscape that you would for a program with corporate funding such as Adobe or Corel products, it's still powerful, costs nothing, and is worth having at your disposal. Be resourceful and give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

Mike F

Inkscape is an open source program similar to The Gimp, Open Office, or Linux OS. In other words, it's free. Although some people equate free software with crappy software, this is not neccessarily the case. I use Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw for 98% of what I do, but for simply converting raster to vector there is no program with a better trace feature than Inkscape, in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with open source software and using it doesn't make you a hack. It's just another tool in your arsenal to get the job done quickly and precisely. And although you won't necessarily get the support for Inkscape that you would for a program with corporate funding such as Adobe or Corel products, it's still powerful, costs nothing, and is worth having at your disposal. Be resourceful and give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

+1, I used to use Inkscape and GIMP before I got Corel. Inkscape is more than capable of recreating a simple design like the OP's.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
OK, that was a nice little exercise.

I did, in fact, recreate the logo in OpenOffice Draw and made a PDF from it.

I've never used this OOD before and it took me about 20 minutes to figure a few things out.

Attachments

• White Brothers Auto Parts Warehouse.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 115

anotherdog

Keep your eye on Inkscape, if Adobe pricing keeps going up we may be seeing more of it.

Heck, with inkscape and a sanyi-tech chinese printer in your garage you could be
undercutting all of us.