• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Setting cut lines in Illustrator for Roland VersaWorks

rosary0215

In our business, we mainly use Corel 13, but I would like to have the ability to send jobs from Illustrator to Versaworks (for our Roland SP-540V) with cutlines already on them like you can from Corel. If anyone knows how to do this and can help me, it would be much appreciated.
:thankyou:

petepaz

make your cut line
then select it and goto your swatch box then select make new swatch
dbl click and you will get swatch options box rename the swatch:
CutContour both c's must be capital
and you can adjust the color if you want and that's it
you might have to do this each time you do a job it doesn't always save

petepaz

sorry forgot a step
you must change the swatch from process to spot color
in the area where you are changing the name to CutContour

Waltnetto

Got that info and it sends the cut lines and they cut from Illustrator. SO what causes the cuts to repeat -- in other words it cuts each decal twice?
I think I have tried everything, but most of the time each cut is made twice??????

grrrr!

Sign Works

Your contour cut is more than likely applied to multiple paths in your artwork file, double check the file to make sure there isn't more than one path grouped together. I can't imagine why else it would cut twice, they basically only do what they are told to do.

threeputt

Also, in VersaWorks be sure in your cutting controls dialog box that you don't inadvertently have "2" checked in the "cut passes" box.

Waltnetto

Thanks for the guidance. I blew the illustration up to 1600% and there is no second cut line. Then I just drew a box -- followed the procedures "CutPath" etc... sent the box to print and it cut the box twice. I tried as a PDF and and EPS -- same result. You can actually see the marching ants going around the box in both directions? I'm confounded (well actually I'm Waltnetto)

ElJay

I realize this is a 4 year old thread but I'm having the same problem...Cut lines created in Illustrator, file ripped with Roland ColorRIP (where it automatically creates the cut file and loads it into a seperate queue), printed on Roland SC-540...After laminating I reload prints into machine, send it to cut and it cuts the file twice...There is only one cut line in the file.

Waltnetto

After spending weeks trying to figure this out I determined the double cutting was caused by a bug in Illustrator. By saving the file as a pdf with compatibility at 5 (NOT 4), all my double cut problems vanished. Make certain you are setting the cut line up correctly with no fill, .25 stroke and a mitre of 1.
NOW I have to tell you, I'm a Macintosh guy so this fix may not work on a Windows machine.

Meigen

After spending weeks trying to figure this out I determined the double cutting was caused by a bug in Illustrator. By saving the file as a pdf with compatibility at 5 (NOT 4), all my double cut problems vanished. Make certain you are setting the cut line up correctly with no fill, .25 stroke and a mitre of 1.
NOW I have to tell you, I'm a Macintosh guy so this fix may not work on a Windows machine.
I've had some success with this by changing the following Illustrator setting after saving as an EPS file:
Select All-Object-Flatten Transparency: Un-check these settings: Convert All Text To Outlines, Convert All Strokes To Outlines, and Clip Complex Regions

phototec

In our business, we mainly use Corel 13, but I would like to have the ability to send jobs from Illustrator to Versaworks (for our Roland SP-540V) with cutlines already on them like you can from Corel. If anyone knows how to do this and can help me, it would be much appreciated.
:thankyou:

Here is a video, showing how it done!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And now it's 2024 and I just found the solution to my problem in this thread.
So, yeah, haha.

Just hooray - hooray for 17 year old technology. I'm happy for your ending....................................... haha