Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting cut lines in Illustrator for Roland VersaWorks

Discussion in 'Roland' started by rosary0215, Nov 15, 2007.

1. rosary0215

rosary0215 New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    In our business, we mainly use Corel 13, but I would like to have the ability to send jobs from Illustrator to Versaworks (for our Roland SP-540V) with cutlines already on them like you can from Corel. If anyone knows how to do this and can help me, it would be much appreciated.
    :thankyou:

Tags:
  2. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    make your cut line
    then select it and goto your swatch box then select make new swatch
    dbl click and you will get swatch options box rename the swatch:
    CutContour both c's must be capital
    and you can adjust the color if you want and that's it
    you might have to do this each time you do a job it doesn't always save

3. njsigns

njsigns Very Active Member

May 25, 2005
  4. petepaz

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    oh yea i bet the info is in the user's manual also

5. petepaz

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    sorry forgot a step
    you must change the swatch from process to spot color
    in the area where you are changing the name to CutContour

6. rosary0215

rosary0215 New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    That's awesome, thank you both.

7. Waltnetto

Waltnetto New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Got that info and it sends the cut lines and they cut from Illustrator. SO what causes the cuts to repeat -- in other words it cuts each decal twice?
    I think I have tried everything, but most of the time each cut is made twice??????

grrrr!

8. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Your contour cut is more than likely applied to multiple paths in your artwork file, double check the file to make sure there isn't more than one path grouped together. I can't imagine why else it would cut twice, they basically only do what they are told to do.

9. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Also, in VersaWorks be sure in your cutting controls dialog box that you don't inadvertently have "2" checked in the "cut passes" box.

10. Waltnetto

Waltnetto New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanks for the guidance. I blew the illustration up to 1600% and there is no second cut line. Then I just drew a box -- followed the procedures "CutPath" etc... sent the box to print and it cut the box twice. I tried as a PDF and and EPS -- same result. You can actually see the marching ants going around the box in both directions? I'm confounded (well actually I'm Waltnetto)

11. ElJay

ElJay Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I realize this is a 4 year old thread but I'm having the same problem...Cut lines created in Illustrator, file ripped with Roland ColorRIP (where it automatically creates the cut file and loads it into a seperate queue), printed on Roland SC-540...After laminating I reload prints into machine, send it to cut and it cuts the file twice...There is only one cut line in the file.

12. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    is it both filled and stroked? or is the stroke larger than .001"?

13. Waltnetto

Waltnetto New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    After spending weeks trying to figure this out I determined the double cutting was caused by a bug in Illustrator. By saving the file as a pdf with compatibility at 5 (NOT 4), all my double cut problems vanished. Make certain you are setting the cut line up correctly with no fill, .25 stroke and a mitre of 1.
    NOW I have to tell you, I'm a Macintosh guy so this fix may not work on a Windows machine.

14. Meigen

Meigen New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Becker, MN
    I've had some success with this by changing the following Illustrator setting after saving as an EPS file:
    Select All-Object-Flatten Transparency: Un-check these settings: Convert All Text To Outlines, Convert All Strokes To Outlines, and Clip Complex Regions

15. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton

Here is a video, showing how it done!

16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You people are talking to someone from 9 years ago.................:roflmao: