Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SG2-300 Nightmare for Diecut Stickers! Help

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Tcobshea, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Tcobshea

Tcobshea New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Bakersfield California
    Looking for an option for die cutting "print lam stickers". That is all we use ours for. This was our first entry into sticker production and the cutting is terrible with the cutting strip on this machine, we have tried everything from 45 degree blades to 60 degree blades and we get it dialed in then it looks like trash after a day again. Have heard the cutting on Roland isnt very good for this. What other options should I take? Graphtec and run them seperate?

I see flexi doesnt support the SG2 so im out of luck trying to run them together unless I can use something like illustrator.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Can you clarify what the issue is, is it not cutting accurately, or is the cut quality poor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tcobshea

Tcobshea New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Bakersfield California
    It is cutting poorly. Edges are always jagged. Basically unless its a new blade and a new cutting strip every time I run it, the cuts will look terrible. Im about to just purchase the Epson s40600 that comes with the graphtec and run that because roland support is the worst.

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We had a ton of issues with our Roland print cut machine, but I never has an issue with the cut quality, the accuracy was horrible but the quality was good.

Can you post a pic?
    Are the cuts very complex,.or are we talking basic squares, circles etc?

What's your experience level with vinyl cutting?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    From the sound of it he's cutting all the way through and it's chewing up his strip and blade. Not too familiar with Roland's, so I don't know if you can get a better perf cut.

You can buy a graphtec and do it seperately through illustrator... No need to purchase a whole new printer and cutter combo if you don't want to. You can get good results... But it's largely dependant on the media. Cheaper media has thin backing paper which will look very rough in the edges.

6. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Print and "Punch cut"? Meaning you can pluck all the decals out after cutting? We don't have the printer/plotter you have but we've gotten into the habit of die cutting decals in a different way. We first do a normal cut, not punch, then use a seperate contour for the punch (.08-.125"). The punch portion usually will have some various backing paper hangers but the decal itself is fine. Yeah, you have to go back and pull off that bit around each decal but....

7. HaleYeah

HaleYeah Member

Apr 17, 2020
    Iowa
    Experiment with different media.

8. JasonToledo

JasonToledo Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Toledo, Ohio
    First.. What are you trying to cut? Second...Slow the cut speed down for best results.

9. Scott at Roland

Scott at Roland Merchant Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hi Tcobshea - Can you please send me more information on the issue you are having? Are you trying to perfcut or simple contour cuts? Also, can you please tell me what media/laminate you are using? Based on this post, it sounds like you may have your cut pressure up too high. But that's just an early guess. If you like, please PM me here and I can try to assist or get you to the right person to help you with this. Also, please let me know what version of Flexi you are running. I have the latest version loaded here and the SG2-300 is a supported model. Thanks - look forward to hearing from you.

10. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Get a summa, one pass kiss cut and perf cut, no slot changes, and spot on accurate.