• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shane Durnfords new site is up. Prepare to be humbled....big time.

signmeup

Shane Durnford's new site is finally up. I've been following his blog for some time now and was anxiously waiting for him to get his site up and running. T'was worth the wait. If you like superb design go there now but prepare to feel very humbled. http://shanedurnford.com/

Adrian

Letterbox Mike

Shane is the master of knowing when enough is enough. I've never seen anyone so capable of creating such dimension and contrast in a sign while using an incredibly limited color pallet as he often does.

GypsyGraphics

I'm speechless...
except to say... think i'll look for a new line of work. Selling tires is sounding pretty good right about now.

luggnut

So he didn't change careers? He was talking about police work a while back.

i heard he was giving it up too.... its sad some of the best artist and craftsmen can't make the business end work. this level of work must demand a hefty price...

i'm glad to see he's still at it, and i hope he is getting everything he wants out of being in business.. i have often thought of getting a real job , because i'm not the best businessman either and i don't know if it is worth it sometimes,... and i can't do what this guy can.

Ok so I went back and looked at it again and I missed the craft section of his website. His sign work is very humbling. I stand corrected.

~Chris

Ponto

Beautiful work and craftsmanship... one of the reasons I got lured into the industry.

JP

Patrick46

I have a new signhero!

WOW...his grasp of simplicity in design is exraordinary!
and the handcrafted signwork and his carving skills..........oh my.

Circleville Signs

Wow...Just...Wow. That hand-carved stuff is simply amazing.

I have been properly relegated to my place as just a dude who uses a computer...

How do you even START learning that level of carving skill?

signmeup

Wow...Just...Wow. That hand-carved stuff is simply amazing.

I have been properly relegated to my place as just a dude who uses a computer...

How do you even START learning that level of carving skill?
The carving can be learned.... start with a bar of soap and a pen knife.

It's coming up with what to carve and how to execute it that he is a master of. The economy of his designs are amazing. Breaking something down to it's simplist possible form where nothing can be added or taken away to make it better is pure genius. He picks good colours too.

Last edited:

Shane Durnford

Thanks

I had hoped to complete the site before publishing, to be honest I didn't think it would be viewed until I promoted it.
While working on the back end of the site I noticed a dramatic spike in traffic coming from signs 101 (thanks Adrian) and I was compelled to respond after reading some posts.
The impression left to some when I left the sign business was the market couldn't bear out premium signage and there was not a sufficient income to be made. - Not true.
It was a challenge to sell a premium product in a common market, everyone that came through my door had to be educated and seduced. I had to turn them from reluctant customers into enthusiastic clients. It was a comfortable living and very gratifying.

All work, no play and a number of other personal factors led to severe burnout. (a cautionary tale)
To get back on my feet I decided to apply myself to something entirely different and pursue policing leaving the rest behind. However, halfway through testing there was a hiring freeze. It gave me pause to reconsider and after a year of rest my interest in design was renewed and I've decided to follow it.

The short of it - signcrafting is a fulfilling and rewarding career, just create some balance and take time out to play.

I think this business chooses us not the other way around so fight the good fight and keep at it.

A note regarding the question of pricing. The average double sided sign was $6-10,000.

signmeup

Shane,

Great that you've joined us. I was a bit shocked and dismayed when you "hung it up" a year or so back. I figured if you couldn't make it work with your talents then I was surely doomed. Glad hear you took a break for other reasons.

Oh....forgot this little guy...:notworthy:

weaselboogie

Incredible work Shane!!

What's your primary material , wood, HDU? Is everything made with hand tools, Cnc work? A marriage of both? I've already gone back and looked at the site at least a couple of times... I'm in awe.