• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shane Durnfords new site is up. Prepare to be humbled....big time.

Shane Durnford

Thanks so much for your comments, it's always good to hear from fellow signcrafters.
Wherever design takes me It'll always be grounded in my time spent in the business.
The exterior work was primarily made from HDU and entirely created by hand including the lettering. Nothing wrong with CNC though, I think the mistake happens when the technology precedes the design.
I'm guessing I'll return to some form of handcrafting in the future, maybe even signs. I do miss the "hands on". I did hit the wall pretty good, so it will be some time before that happens. I enjoy designing them though and continue with that. I hope to have some more articles in signcraft, maybe even some more design workshops.

Interesting comments here about design - it really is a distilling process, with all elements serving vital functions while harmonizing with everything around it.

Thanks for the welcome

signmeup

Shane, I think you may be the King of less is more. Your website is what?... a logo and an all text header on a white background? You must have been a Spartan in a past life.

luggnut

Shane,

Great that you've joined us. I was a bit shocked and dismayed when you "hung it up" a year or so back. I figured if you couldn't make it work with your talents then I was surely doomed. Glad hear you took a break for other reasons.

Oh....forgot this little guy...:notworthy:

my thoughts too... and glad to hear you took the break for other reasons.

Shane Durnford

Thanks, lol there is something to said for white space. features the work without any distraction.
I'm glad I clarified why I left the industry, I wouldn't want to discourage anybody in the business.
There will always be a market out there that rewards excellence.

Jillbeans

Shane I have always admired both you and your work.
And I totally agree about less being more!
Love....Jill

iSign

I hope to have some more articles in signcraft, maybe even some more design workshops.

I would love to see that happen Shane, I gave up my ticket to one of your workshops with great reluctance, and was almost equally disappointed when you were unable to attend one of Dan's workshops. The "last" workshop of yours fell in a time it was entirely out of reach for me financially, but I have little doubt you will sell out future events, and no doubt that I will make an effort to be one of the attendees.

Fitch

Throughout my years in signage I have "done the norm"... that was until I discovered the work of Garry Anderson, Mike Jackson, David Hassan, Dan Sawatszky and then my "Sign God" Shane Durnford. Many conversations have taken place between Shane and myself, and I have to say the person reflects the work and vice versa,

Shane is a very humble person, totally loaded with talent and more knowledgeable from reading about design than just about any person I have "met".

It was interesting the comment from Circleville Signs "I have been properly relegated to my place as just a dude who uses a computer..."

Whilst I believe that each to their own, I can say that there is nothing like creating (or attempting to create ) signs in the vein of Shane's. He believes that all signs should have form and function.

I am far far far from his standard or calibre in design. The market here is different to the US / Canada but I attempt to follow his principles - but have a long way to go.

For those interested, here is a link to my gallery

http://www.coloradosigns.com.au/gallery1.html

that has Australian flavour of what the market favors - a less traditional design flair.

Thanks for everything so far Shane. I will get better.... promise...lol

Design design design. That's what makes a sign and Shane exemplifies that.

Cheers - Gregg

Shane Durnford

Thanks a bunch

I think if honest design is practiced there is no better or best. - it's like the difference between the apple or the more elaborate form of the apple tree - which one is more beautiful....

Good design is in all of us, we just need to get ourselves out of the way.

Last edited:

SignManiac

Imagine a world that required design standards to equal Shane's work and a few others. It would actually be a living gallery that everyone could enjoy, instead of the hideous blight of pollution that litters our communities with the filth that sears your eyes like a hot needle being jabbed into them.

This caliber of work is out there to be had but not every client has the budget or sense of pride to invest in a high quality image. But it's good to see nice work being done and hopefully, it may impact and influence others to want quality for their businesses.

I have to commend you Shane for marketing yourself as a designer first, sign maker second!

signdog

Well I hate to tarnish his image, but if the truth be known, Shane does use a router table...
Creemore_Router_Table.jpg

:ROFLMAO:
Thankfully, he also has a twisted sence of humour. besides, anyone that plays the bagpipes has a place in my heart.
Shane is the whole package... Talent, personality and vision.

iSign

Not sure what you're trying to do? The site has some serious flaws.

Chris

with all due respect, coming from a guy with the WalMart of sign sites, it's clear that you're not sure what Shane is doing, but besides the fact that he has already come on this thread and stated he hasn't really launched the site yet, I'm not quite sure you are in any position to pass judgment on it . After all, SEO isn't everything, and instead of undercutting the market and depending on volume, it's refreshing that there are still craftsmen showing us an entirely different business model then your site implies...

To help illustrate my point...
A note regarding the question of pricing. The average double sided sign was $6-10,000.

Edserv, you will have to sell over 500 of those $14.95 magnets to gross that same revenue Shane brings in on one of his "average" double sided signs... AND, based on the fact that most of us charge 5 to 10 times as much for a pair of magnetic signs, I'd wager you are realizing far less profit after 500 $14.95 magnets, then a from an $8K dimensional sign!

Fitch

OMG

When you have the ability to design, create, install and promote in the vein of Shane Durnford, then I believe you are in a position to comment ... not before.

If you do not like that particular style - say so. if you are not at that level - say so. If you prefer wraps and computer generation - say so. Just be honest - but DO NOT undermine the work of someone who is respected by the BEST in the industry around the world. Not just in podunk " xxxx town". The sign world is definately a better place with the legacy of the likes of Shane.

Ok... so I've been drinking again...lol... doesn't change my view though.

Cheers

Not meaning to upset anyone... just want to see credit granted where credit truly is due.