• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shanghai sign expo trip cancelled

artbot

sad sad day. after a week of begging my ex' to have her attorney handle a passport issue (long story short, i have had possession of my daughter for 14 months and don't owe child support. but the system wasn't properly updated resulting in a denied passport).

so two tickets to china are wasting away. i'm not sure if someone can travel on my ticket but from what i know, my partner's was transferable and mine is a loss.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Rotten luck,
I was looking forward to your feedback from the show.

Better luck next time

wayne k
guam usa

artbot

there's another show that kept coming up in my queries about equipment. seems that there is a "sign expo" which is slightly different than the digital graphics expo.

i wanted to look at vacuum formers, acrylic edge polishers, membrane presses, cutting equipment, etc. and the OEMs kept giving me the "no we show at the such and such".

i still think the winwin ntek flatbed was the best looking option for me. i'm going to request some samples on different substrates.

beyond the equipment. every business man i come across says "i just came back from shanghai and Whoa! it was insane!" sounds like i'm missing a very cool trip.

Edwin Mukiria

That's terrible news.
Was also looking forward to your feedback and experiences at the show.
There are always other shows.
And like Wayne K said, better luck next time!
Edwin.

AUTO-FX

Awe man, I bet you want to strangle the ex, huh? Did you call your state representative? Sometimes they can pull strings. Helped me one time...

lenwardus

Ticket probably not transferable, but should be able to pay a change fee and use
at a later date.

Should be more shows coming up in China.
Kinda hot there in July..anyway. Fall is best time

artbot

@auto-fx in retrospect, i could have done a lot of things different. international travel is very new to me and it was one of those letting "plan A" go for too long situations. the passport system is set up that if you want a "same day" passport, you have to wait until you are flying out in 14 days or less or you are kicked out of the building. they won't even talk to you. or you can risk applying for one at a post office for instance and risk getting lost in the system. so i burned up weeks not knowing what lied ahead. then when rejected, had 11 days to remedy. add two weekends, attorneys that don't return calls and you watch the trip vanish.

with my buyer who lost money on my ticket... i'm going to do a spec' piece for him that is workth $2300 wholesale and give it to him. just to kind of balance the nature of things. i hate being "that guy" but after a divorce there seem to be no end to what the system can do to the father/exhusband. it never crosses the mind of any authority that the ex-wife is the "bad guy".

Last edited:

lenwardus

You can get a passport same day with only a flight itenerary.
Next day get a same day China visa.
So with no passport and no China visa you can fly in less than
36 hours.

OlsonSigns601

Yeah and it will cost you about $200 extra to do that and most likely another $65 to overnight your passport to you. And if you are just visiting China, you're going to have to get a visa the day you arrive anyway.

I would be pretty POed if I was help captive in my country because of some faulty government child support system. Generally the losers who don't pay child support never feel these types of effects because they flat out don't care. Now if they really wanted to motivate them to pay child support then take away their right to drink beer at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

artbot

child support equals car payment. the dad pays twice making sure his kids get what they need.

artbot

well, now i'm a bit confused. jane, with winwin wrote back because i inquired about the "sign building" trade show, and when it was. she replied "it's in the next building". grrr.... so by asking if an acrylic fabrication equipment company in china if they will be exhibiting at the shanghai digital graphics expo, and they say, "no, we will be at the sign building expo".... i could swear one mentioned it was a different date and city.

here's the web page. they have a print (offset?), digital, outdoor/illuminated, and converting all on the same date. it's supposed to be huge. i bet the fabrication equipment is at the outdoor one. it makes me crazy thinking i could have been in shanhai looking at all that cool stuff and then heading into this awesome city for come R&R. instead i'm swatting mosquitoes in the woods of the texas gulf coast.

http://eng.apppexpo.com/Exhibition.aspx

lenwardus

Shanghai expo center has many buildings and different trade shows are held at the same time.

You can't get a Chinese visa upon arrival. Need a visa or the airline will deny boarding.
Unless you have a flight out of Shanghai to a third country in less than 48 hours after arrival.

If you live close to a federal office that offers passport service you can go there and save the cost of a passport expediting company, which is expensive.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You should see if the ticket could be transferred to your ex wife and just make sure it is one way....

artbot

oh yeah. that might be even better. aaaallll of the decorative panel and art related factories are in guangzhou.