• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shinerite vinyl on box truck with rivets

Ultimate

I just took a job to apply vinyl lettering on a box truck. Customer insisted on intermediate vinyl ( shinerite from fellers) to keep cost down. Has anyone ever installed intermediate vinyl over rivets? Does heating up the vinyl work like on the cast vinyl? I explained that is not made for rivets, he said to get it on there the best way I could. I have seen some box trucks that the vinyl was cut out around the rivets exposing the rivets. Has anyone ever installed vinyl this way. I have also read some installers cut out the vinyl around the rivet and then paint the rivets to match the color of the vinyl. I just trying to see what the best way to go about it is. It has to be done with the shinerite vinyl. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

tomence

I would not use shinerite or any other calendered vinyl to go over rivets. I tried that with Oracal 651 few times and had to repair it after few months with cast vinyl.

Pat Whatley

In this case...and it's probably the only one....I'd remove the rivet/screws and letter it. Shinerite it horrible around rivets and even if you do heat them and get the to conform three weeks later the vinyl will have shrunk enough to tent them.

Warn him that his biggest problem with Shinerite it going to be the acrylic adhesive. If he ever goes to strip the truck it takes five time more time to remove. You literally have to scrape that crap off and then use application after application of adhesive remover and elbow grease to get the glue off.

I wouldn't have even given him the option of the Shinerite but since you did just slap the crap up there and wish him well.

CentralSigns

It's a hard call, when a customer dictates what to use. Just be aware that the customers choice of materials will reflect on your business, when it fails and it will. I would not let the customer dictate how I do business, and that was learned the hard way. I decide what is the best material for the job and let the customer know what it will cost, offering several options on my terms only.

AUTO-FX

i use 651 all the time over rivets. torch em. yeah, they tent a little. just warn the customer what's going to happen. they get what they pay for. charge 'em extra for your extra labor and in the end they didnt save ANYthing, and they got tents too.

has anyone tried primer 94 around the rivets? i wonder if that would help???

gnatt66

shinerite shrinks like friggin crazy. use 651 and heat gun it. i love shinerite for race cars, but it shrinks like 3/32" in a matter of weeks outside.

Ultimate

Has any anyone cut the vinyl around the rivets and left them exposed? They are rivets and they can't be removed. My only choice is to cut the vinyl around the rivets and save a couple of hours or try to work the vinyl around the rivets. Can't change vinyl. I was just wondering if any one had any ideas to get around this nightmare. Thanks

Techman

why ???????
Why???????
Why use cheap vinyl on a job that needs cast?
You will not save that much to make the extra work worth it. Cheapo vinyl mor elabor,, you lose both ways.

Save what? maybe 10 bux? If you charge the right amount then it will not matter.

What a waste..

iSign

everyone beat me to it... NO SAVINGS!! ...shoulda been end of story right there...
if you only offered it, but didn't do it yet... DON'T.. just tell him "hey, i know plenty, but forgive me... i don't know it all, so I thought I could save you money, but it will self destruct, so I've decided neither of us can afford that.. NO DEAL!!

OldPaint

to give a price on a job...............YOU KNOW is gona COST MORE MONEY TO DO IT RIGHT, is your fault................ not the customer.
LABOR MANAGEMENT is your job. using SHINE-RITE is causing ....... YOU TO DO MORE WORK!!!!!!
proper material for the job..........IS YOUR DECISION!!!!!
should quoted a higher price.............and i would use HP VINYL, what you spend in the few extra dollars for material..............YOU will make up in time spent smoothing out over the rivets.

J

john1

Come on man, cast vinyl is only about $65 a 10yd roll in 24" width. Use the right materials please, I used cast on rivets for my first time doing a job with rivets and it went SMOOTH as can be.

Sticky Signs

Tell your client that there is no savings. He may think he's saving a few bucks up front but the cost to install/fix/remove is going to be way more than the up front savings. I'd try to convince him of that. If he doesn't go for it, I'd walk away from the job. Because you know he's gonna turn it around on you some how in the future.

Pat Whatley

Honestly Ultimate you make is sound like you've already decided to do a hack job of this. You're letting your customer dictate what material to use, you're willing to use the wrong material, and you're desperately trying to find somebody who will agree with your idea of cutting around the rivets so.....

Absolutely! Cutting around the rivets is the answer! No prep time required (time savings there) and makes installation a breeze. The best part is you're using SHINE RITE vinyl! Install your graphics, just poke a hole in the center of each rivet and then stand back. The Shine Rite will shrink so much that in just a couple of weeks you'll have perfectly exposed rivets. And don't worry about the adhesive the shrinking vinyl leaves....it'll get covered in road film in no time and turn a nice, neutral gray. Again, just hack it out, get your money, and take it to the bank!

Jillbeans

I don't get (and never have gotten) the whole idea of offering the customer the option of using a cheaper non-cast vinyl for use on a vehicle.
The saving is minimal if at all, considering the fact that they will bitch and expect you to re-do if for free if it fails.
Use the right material for the job from the start, and since you are the sign guy you know better than the customer which is best.
Love....Jill

signage

Use the right material for the job from the start, and since you are the sign guy you know better than the customer which is best.
Love....Jill

I think they are not a sign shop just another newbie getting involved and trying to justify their pricing. JM02

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on your profile, you seem to have the needed awareness not to have offered the ShineRite, unless your customer was educated before he came to you in the first place.

Regardless of where your customer got a hold of this information, you should've turned him away or made the suggestion not to use an inferior product for such an application. Only paytience and experience will give you this much needed informaton to quote jobs properly in the future. Hope you a fast learner or you're gonna be loosing your ass quite often.

Since the harm has been done, your only choice is to either do the half-assed job you promised him and just use the ShineRite and pop holes around each and every rivet.... yes address each and every rivet individually and get the air out from behind them by popping maybe 4 or 5 holes and then gently squeezing the air out or just squeegee over the rivets as if they're not there and just be done with it and have the half-assed job you quoted.

Ultimate

OK Installed it today. I have to tell you I have done many box trucks with cast vinyl Oracal 851, 3M 7125 and Parmacast in the past. Shinerite was by by far the easiest to install over rivets. As far as your comments about me doing a hack job or being a newbee, don't really bother me. Like I said on my original post I did not want advise on what material to use, I was asking for advise on installing Shinerite vinyl. In no way do I consider my self a know it all. If I did I would have not come to ask for advise. Thank you for advise.

Techman

Shinerite was by by far the easiest to install over rivets.

BULLSCAT!!!!!!!!!

Its tented. Every single covered rivet is tented. There is no way calendared vinyl did not tent. We all know it.

Dam, I cannot take it any more.