• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shooting in NYC near Empire State Building

SignosaurusRex

Marlene, Please don't assume that all officers are well trained. Even some well trained officers are terrible shots. Officers only need to qualify with their sidearm once per year and many barely score high enough to meet requirements. Most officers are issued a monthly allotment of practice ammo which most do not use. A good majority of Joe citizen CC permit holders practice more with their sidearm than many officers.

Brian, According to the info I heard from early reports, the gunman had an eight or nine round magazine of which he put three rounds in the first victim. How many total shots he took, what caliber and make he had I don't recall what they said it was. Not much info being released. I smell departmental damage control.

Marlene

Marlene, Please don't assume that all officers are well trained. Even some well trained officers are terrible shots.

eek, that sure doesn't make me sleep sounder tonight!

seems like as our world changes, there might be a use for schools/classes in urban selfdefence. I know I sure am not one to defend myself with my gun in a crowd. I've done some target shooting in a sand pit full of old cars and can shoot the side mirror off a car after a ton of attempts but it would be nice to feel like if I needed to shoot some a$$wipe shooting up a mall, I wouldn't kill most of the people in the mall along with a$$wipe.

edgette

There is an NRA class for defensive shooting outside of the home as well as many private classes on the subject. A few guys I have met that taught classes were ex-military or swat guys that put together their own curriculum on self defense. Most of the class seemed to be hands on training and practical shooting in those situations.

Not everyone needs to be a sheep dog, but there should be some out there to watch over the herd.

Marlene, even if you don't want to shoot a person, less than lethal defense is better than no defense. Stun guns and pepper spray can do wonders.