• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Layout

Rocco G

I used to have three 4x24 tables, a couple of 4x12's plus a 16' slant-table (aka an easel to non old heads) but when I moved into my new smaller shop I made a pair of 4' x 12' tables on wheels. Plus I have multiple shop carts (power tools, etc.). I've been meaning to build a 4' x 8' table on wheels but haven't had the time. With the two tables (same height) I can make a 4x24 or 8x12. Once I make the 4x8, I'll have more options. Just about everything in my shop (other than the 10' sheet metal shear and 10' brake) is on wheels. Box/Pan brake, 3' shear, plotters, etc.

For the table construction, I kept it simple. 2'x8' frame/stringers, six - tripled 2x4 legs (so I can mount the 4" castors) with doubled 3/4" plywood top. Also there is a 3" overhang all around so I can clamp things to the tables as needed. On one table I have a cutting mat, but it's usually off it and in the material rack. Industrial shelving along the walls holds about a Home Depot's worth of hardware, electrical supplies. trimcap, and all the rest of the 8 zillion things you need to make signs. I have an upright 5' tall material rack, with two partial height sections for cut-offs, plus storage above that for lamps. However, I'm king of the pack-rats. Pretty soon I'm going to have to hang things from the rafters - really. They sell setups just for that purpose.

For the height of the table, I was talked into making them higher than I would like - 38" - but I've grown accustomed to it. 36" would probably be great for me and I'm 5'10". According to Wood magazine (loads of great shop setup tips there even if it's based on woodworking), the distance from the floor to the middle knuckle on your thumb is ideal. Of course if you are 5'6" and your help is 6'4" you have to find a happy medium. For welding, i do like a really low table (it's actually a metal cart with heavy aluminum sheet on top), about 28", because I'm bending over the work.

The next thing I'm buying is a shop air filter. I'm sick and tired of cleaning the substrate before applying vinyl/print only to still get dust underneath. Plus my lungs will thank me.

Attachments

• shop table.jpg
    shop table.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 225